Author Topic: The Father of Video Games Video  (Read 1052 times)

htimreimer

The Father of Video Games Video
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:07:58 am »
a great insight in to the invention of the first home console

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:16:20 am by htimreimer »

psydswipe

Re: the father of video games video
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:16:56 am »
I saw this video has re-appeared this week as there was a press release for it. However, it was released a year ago by the creator of the video so if it looks familiar that's why: http://www.davidfriedmanphoto.com/blog/2012/03/inventor-portrait-ralph-baer.html. The press release involves PBS so maybe it's new from them.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: The Father of Video Games Video
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:52:31 pm »
The father of video games is a touchy subject. Some would point to Ralph Baer as he invented the first home-console system. Others would point to Nolan Bushnell as he created the first arcade game (pre-dating Baer's Magnavox Odyssey). Others would point to Steve Russell as he created the first computer game, Computer Space in the early 60s (pre-dating Bushnell's arcade game). And others would even point to Steve Higgenbotham as he created "Tennis for Two" on a radar-screen way back in the 50s.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:01:36 pm »
The father of video games is a touchy subject. Some would point to Ralph Baer as he invented the first home-console system. Others would point to Nolan Bushnell as he created the first arcade game (pre-dating Baer's Magnavox Odyssey). Others would point to Steve Russell as he created the first computer game, Computer Space in the early 60s (pre-dating Bushnell's arcade game). And others would even point to Steve Higgenbotham as he created "Tennis for Two" on a radar-screen way back in the 50s.

So...who would you (*personally*) go with?!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:34:55 pm »
Seems to me that William Higgenbotham was the first, from what I can see. That's who I'd give the title to.

theflea

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:23:36 am »
I'd love to meet Ralph Baer and have him sign my Odyssey.
"Happy game hunting!!!"