Author Topic: What's your focus area?  (Read 7687 times)

sin2beta

What's your focus area?
« on: March 17, 2013, 01:05:14 pm »
Do you guys have a particular focus area? Do you have one system that you collect for more than any other? Are you a NES collector? Game Boy collector? Genesis, PS2? What made you pick that system?

I am a Game Gear collector mostly. I originally started out wanting to focus on the Dreamcast, but found Game Gear collecting really fun. The reason for picking the Game Gear is mainly nostalgia. I have horrible eyesight (near blind in my right eye) and could not see a Game Boy screen as a kid. So, I developed a lot of love for the Game Gear as a kid, if nothing else, because it was the only thing I could see. Plus, nothing beats playing Wonder Boy on the go!
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

Re: What's your focus area?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:18:06 pm »
I do and I don't. In terms of platforms, it's probably fair to say that I focus primarily on the PS1 and PS2, mainly because I think they both have probably the best selection of games overall. There's a bit of nostalgia attached too, as the PS1 was the system that got me back into gaming after a hiatus in the late 90's, and so I tend to equate the system as offering a very warm, comforting sort of experience, and the PS2 was the first system I ever bought with my own money.

I'm finding I also have a pretty strong fondness for DS and PSP games the past year or so too, as there are a ton of really great games for both systems, many of which can still be found pretty cheap.

In terms of games though, I'm almost exclusively focused on picking up Japanese RPGs, shmups, side-scrollers, and fighting games, both domestic and imported, but it's slow going, since a lot of what I'm after is out of print and rather pricy.

matt

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:18:47 pm »
Mine shifts around a lot. When I started I simply tried to get whatever I could. That resulted in me having like 3000+ games that I never played or really cared about. As I've grown up I sold off the majority of my collection and now really only care about SMS and NES. I was one of the few Americans who actually grew up with an SMS so it holds a special place in my heart.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »
Pretty much equal for (RPG's) for the Sony systems (more specifically), I'd consider the RPG's for the PS1, 2, 3, and the PSP my main areas of interest & expertise.

Next, would be the DS & Game-Cube's RPG's.

Lastly (and most recently), I guess most of the RPG's (both *here* & *soon-to-be-here*) for the 3-DS.

Since RPG's are not only my oldest & favorite genre -but- also the genre that I can still do the best job of (physically) playing comfortably...I don't focus nearly as much on other genres...even for my "main" systems.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:20:20 pm »
I don't intentionally have a focus area. I just pick up, what I can, for cheap, when I can. As long it's a game I'll want to play, and it's cheap, I buy it. (It it's a game I just really HAVE to play, and I don't want to wait for a deal I just eBay it.)

However, without intending it, I have far more PS1 and PS2 games than any other system, and I own like 20 different consoles. I think it's just because they are the most readily available games for cheap.

I never buy sports games (pro-wrestling, Tony Hawk, and racing games excluded) or strategy games, though. Just not into those genres, at all.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 01:38:44 pm »
I don't intentionally choose a particular focus area or have a set goal, but my purchases obviously reflect my preferences (Chinese PC games, RPGs and Sega).

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:40:37 pm »
My main focus is the Xbox 360 but I will buy whatever I happen to find at a good price.

If money was no object though I would have a rather sizable collection of pinball machines :D

soera

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 04:12:08 pm »
My focus is multiple folds.

First (sadly) tends to be the NES collection. I say sadly cause it was definitely not my first choice. Before I got really deep into the collecting, my NES area consisted of Battle of Olympus, Trojan, and Bionic Commando. All the other games I had on other systems or didnt give a damn for. But the wife really got interested in the NES and thats what caused it to blow up as much as it has.

Second is my personal PS1 collection. Its mostly completed as I have acquired all the ones I really wanted and working on finishing up the rest of my list.

Third are RPGs in general. My favorite style of game play is jrpg and they span a whole lot of systems and I want to own/play as many of those as I can. Its also the reason I have some systems that I have no interest in otherwise. I have 4 games on my SMS (only a couple left to get) 3-4 on my SNES, a dozen or so for my PS2 and so forth all the way down to a single Xbox game D&D heroes. One of the good things about some RPGs is a lot of them have multiple system releases and for the most part I dont care about every release, just a single playable release.

Fourth is my Dragon Warrior/Quest collection. Its not just games, I have other swag items and a lot of sealed stuff that basically make a large display.

Lastly is accessories. I like to fill my walls with controllers hanging. Its kind of a two part use. Display and usefullness. :)

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 07:03:44 pm »
Getting my hands on every nes snes gen n64- life long goal.... right now just trying to get my hands on anything but mainly collect all turbografx cards
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 07:15:14 pm »
when buying a new game im thinking will i play this? will the time i spend playing it be worth the amount im about to pay.

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 07:17:33 pm »
I don't intentionally choose a particular focus area or have a set goal, but my purchases obviously reflect my preferences (Chinese PC games, RPGs and Sega).

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a Chinese PC game. You have introduced me to something new!  ;D

Let the researching and youtube watching begin!
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 07:39:04 pm »
First and foremost, I'm an NES collector. If I had to get rid of all but one system, my NES stuff would stay.
Secondly, I'm a Nintendo fan. I have some Sega stuff, but I'll buy anything Nintendo.  I have most of the systems, a bunch of accessories, and a cock-ton of games. In my opinion, first party Nintendo is timeless. just about any First Party game from any era is still fun today.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 01:54:17 am »

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a Chinese PC game. You have introduced me to something new!  ;D

Let the researching and youtube watching begin!

If you'll forgive me a bit of self-promotion - http://kimimisblog.blogspot.co.uk/p/games-by-region.html

Sadly my little blog is probably one of the best English language sites for Chinese games, as pathetic as it is. :/

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 02:06:18 am »
I change a lot, I'll focus on a console at a time, I think as a whole I love 2D fighting games during the mid 90's, real bout fatal fury, Street fighter alpha.

htimreimer

Re: What's your focus area? Might
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 02:21:10 am »
i have two areas that i focus on (1) anything weird,obscure or rare (2) anything that i played or wanted to play as a kid, i'm mostly a pc player but i am working on n64 collection because thats the first console i ever played

Isn't most chinese games sold in underground markets and web sites?, all i know about the chinese video game market is that china has long complicated history with video games and there is some kind of ban on video games that might open up some time
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:40:37 am by htimreimer »