Author Topic: What's your focus area?  (Read 7679 times)

Re: What's your focus area?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 02:49:58 am »
Err, no. I buy most of my Chinese games off Amazon.cn (through a friend), and my out of print/retro Chinese games either through Taobao or Tmall sellers. China has a massive legitimate PC game market and increasingly a legitimate console/handheld market too.

Pirated versions do get sold too of course, but the idea that Chinese gaming is nothing more than dodgy "Pokemon Crimson" NES carts or CD-Rs of western PS2 games is a false one.

htimreimer

Re: What's your focus area? China
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 03:13:54 am »
Err, no. I buy most of my Chinese games off Amazon.cn (through a friend), and my out of print/retro Chinese games either through Taobao or Tmall sellers. China has a massive legitimate PC game market and increasingly a legitimate console/handheld market too.

Pirated versions do get sold too of course, but the idea that Chinese gaming is nothing more than dodgy "Pokemon Crimson" NES carts or CD-Rs of western PS2 games is a false one.
good to know ;D , question? if china opens up there video game market like the media keep on telling me thay will, do you think we will see there games over here in retail and of course translated

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 03:33:25 am »
Nope. Chinese gaming is primarily PC-based, so there's nothing to stop them releasing games abroad right now (either digitally or retail). It's just too much work for too little gain - they already have access to 1.3 billion potential customers just within their own borders, why would they look elsewhere?

htimreimer

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 04:21:26 am »
Nope. Chinese gaming is primarily PC-based, so there's nothing to stop them releasing games abroad right now (either digitally or retail). It's just too much work for too little gain - they already have access to 1.3 billion potential customers just within their own borders, why would they look elsewhere?
that makes a lot of sense but then i have to ask, why the hell is the media talking about this, if its not gonna affect us in anyway

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 05:23:03 am »
Isn't it more to do with outside companies selling games *to* China, rather than China selling games to outside companies?

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 06:02:25 am »
My focus range is 1980-1995. Anything fun before the 3D era really hit.

htimreimer

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 06:32:14 am »
Isn't it more to do with outside companies selling games *to* China, rather than China selling games to outside companies?
that good for companies and people in china but i wish the media would stop talking about it like its some kind of revolution, wish i have seen a few times 

scott

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 09:46:18 am »
I'm in the middle of redefining what my collection is all about. Over the years its been built of games I wanted to play. When we started Vgcollect, I had started buying Game Boy games and accessories, and I've built up an impressive set. I had already begun my Castlevania collection before then, with loose carts and CIB disc games too.

Then I bought my Saturn and nostalgia took over, causing me to go for the US set. After buying a lot of stuff that I really had no interest in, other than looks, I decided to trim that down.

Now, I'm back to where I was originally. I'm gonna just buy games and systems I want to play, and skip what I don't. That means, I'm usually buying RPGs and SHMUPs,  or franchises I love.

So I guess my focus area is Castlevania. With a bunch of games I like behind it. Of course, I can't pass up a bargain bin with cheap Game Boy games, cause I am a huge sucker for that system...
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 11:19:31 am »
I'm more into repair and modding of old consoles, rather than collecting any one type of game. 
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

blipcs76

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 02:33:22 pm »
NES! More specifically boxed and/or complete NES games.

However, collecting CIB has just gotten too expensive lately.  I managed to acquire about 200 boxed/complete NES games before the prices became prohibitive, so now I pick up loose carts and the occasional CIB/box when I find a deal.

sin2beta

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 03:03:29 pm »
NES! More specifically boxed and/or complete NES games.

However, collecting CIB has just gotten too expensive lately.  I managed to acquire about 200 boxed/complete NES games before the prices became prohibitive, so now I pick up loose carts and the occasional CIB/box when I find a deal.

CIB collecting can be insane. I have a few games in cardboard boxes... and I hate it. I have actually passed on a few good deals because they came in the cardboard box, which I don't want... but also don't want to throw away or bother selling on ebay or something.

But 200 is quite impressive.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

theflea

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 04:05:21 pm »
I pretty much collect any game console and handhelds and their games. including JP and EU consoles.
The only stuff I pass up on a lot is PC/Mac stuff. Tiger LCD handhelds and i don't buy all the action figures and other swag.

as for the whole loose/CIB thing. While yes its nice to find a cart game complete, and its always an incentive to buy one complete if its found at a loose price. but due to space I usually take the cart out of the box and put it with the rest of my collection. Then the box is stored away so it's not handled.

As for sealed games? While i'd buy one if its found in the wild or its again a good deal. I personally don't like having everything sealed. I actually want to play the game. While i have many sealed games and now feel guilty if I want to open them. (only if its retro) Then want to hunt another copy to have opened. While its great if you can afford to buy every game in the world twice. But when I do buy new games I always keep them sealed until I want to play it.   

The only games I want CIB every time is the CD games. I will pass on any loose CD game pretty much no matter what. Or buy it (if its really rare) store it till i find a case. Shoot i have a few empty cases I've picked up incase i find a loose disc.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

tripredacus

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »
I primarily focus on Sega games, but will pick up anything if I find it cheap. That said, I only have Sega and Sony consoles.

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 08:07:19 pm »
I collect games only i will entand to play with but i  have a special love for the Sega Master System as it was my first videogame conole. In Belgium, where iwas born, it was very popular. MS Games are quite hard to find here in Quebec, but my brother sometimes sends some to me by airmail as the Master System is zone free.

jobocan

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 09:33:09 pm »
Started with "I want a complete NES collection!", hated buying crappy games so then I started buying anything and everything that I can find around here that I actually wanted to play. So no real focus.
People are crazy though, finding a deal is nearly impossible around here. Seriously: http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-video-games-consoles-older-generation-Super-Nintendo-avec-2-manettes-2-jeux-W0QQAdIdZ465892284 ... it's insane.