Author Topic: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?  (Read 16967 times)

tpugmire

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2013, 04:35:57 pm »
That's funny, just last week I made the comparison of GameStop to Hot Topic, when asked why I drive all the way across town to go to a particular game store, when there is a GameStop less than a block from my house.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2013, 04:58:13 pm »
I think I am one of the few, (maybe only), that feels that Dragon Age II was better then Origins in every way.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2013, 04:58:27 pm »
Why is Hot Topic a bad place?  ???

I can get all kinds of awesome metal t-shirts, gaming t-shirts, comic books t-shirts, metal posters, and CDs that are hard to find outside of the internet. And I can get all my piercing jewelry there. I even found a real metal Green Lantern ring there! (rather than plastic Crackerjack box ring)

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2013, 05:31:54 pm »
Oh goodness. What have I walked into? My noobish self has this to say:

- I despise Resident Evil 1 and 2. Just about everything about them: the camera angles, the controls, the characters, the graphics, the story. I don't think they're scary in the slightest, and they are actually a chore to play through for me.
- I think Silent Hill 2 is overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love the characters, the plot and the music, but I always thought the original Silent Hill was so much better, if not the best one in the series. Also, it isn't scary. Not at all. The same could be said for Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
- I want to hit whoever decided to place the cable connecting the Dreamcast controller to the Dreamcast console on the bottom of the controller over the head with a two by four. Seriously, who thought that would be a good idea?
- The Gamecube had the best controller of all time. OF ALL TIME. It was comfortable and the buttons took forever and a day to wear out.
- I don't like a lot of cartridge games, despite having grown up on the N64.
- On the flip side, I don't like digital downloads. Maybe I just like having physical copies to satisfy my collector's drive. This is pretty much the only reason I imported a physical copy of Siren Blood Curse from the UK instead of buying it on the PSN.
- Despite being terrible at shooters, I don't think the Call of Duty games are bad at all. I actually kind of liked the original Black Ops.
- I don't think the Angry Video Game Nerd is all that funny.
- I hate it when people say that casual gaming is ruining gamer culture. What the hell do you guys think arcade and Atari games were?
- The Tales series will always be better than the Final Fantasy series.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:37:41 pm by doctorlaudanum »
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »
I never was able to cope with RE2's controls. Loved the story and characters, and watched a friend blast through the whole thing in an evening, but I make it about 20 minutes before I give up in frustration. I still want to give the GameCube version a go one of these days, though.

SH2 was good, but definitely overrated. I always thought Fatal Frame II was one of the absolute best examples of survival horror, but people seem to habitually gloss over that series in favor of the Silent Hill vs. Resident Evil debate.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »
I always thought Fatal Frame II was one of the absolute best examples of survival horror, but people seem to habitually gloss over that series in favor of the Silent Hill vs. Resident Evil debate.

I like you. ;D

Siren is currently my favorite horror game of all time, but the Fatal Frame series is pretty high up there, particularly the second one. While I thought it was much too easy, even on the hardest difficulty, II had some of the best atmosphere I'd seen in a game in a long time. I just wish the English voice acting was a little stronger. The horror of the situation dissipated a bit for me the second Itsuki opened his mouth.

The Gamecube version of RE is a bit better and delivers more on the scares, but I could never get used to the controls. Can't tell you how many times I've had my throat torn out by a zombie while trying to leave a room and getting stuck in a wall instead.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:58:08 pm by doctorlaudanum »

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2013, 06:00:03 pm »
Haha, I like that you're playing Nier. That game is hideously addicting!

I have less experience with Siren, but like you, imported a physical copy of Blood Curse. Excellent stuff, though the episodic nature sometimes kills the momentum for me. I'm just glad I was able to get it on disc, because trying to download that whole thing would've driven me up the wall.

soera

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2013, 06:00:31 pm »
Why is Hot Topic a bad place?  ???

I can get all kinds of awesome metal t-shirts, gaming t-shirts, comic books t-shirts, metal posters, and CDs that are hard to find outside of the internet. And I can get all my piercing jewelry there. I even found a real metal Green Lantern ring there! (rather than plastic Crackerjack box ring)

Hot Topic isnt a bad place ... but they are not what they used to be. I buy my piercing stuff there too sometimes. They do sell a lot of stuff I like ... but lately when you walk in there, its not just a metal/grunge/goth store anymore. You find just as much rap shit on the shelves, Beiber junk everywhere, etc. I will say, however, that the name of the place seems to fit now. Everything they try to sell seems to be whats a hot topic, not just a specialty store like in the early days.

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2013, 06:08:36 pm »
I shopped at Hot Topic several years ago, but haven't been in quite awhile. Now all I think about when I hear Hot Topic is that South Park episode.

htimreimer

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions? survival horror
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2013, 06:09:15 pm »
I never was able to cope with RE2's controls. Loved the story and characters, and watched a friend blast through the whole thing in an evening, but I make it about 20 minutes before I give up in frustration. I still want to give the GameCube version a go one of these days, though.

SH2 was good, but definitely overrated. I always thought Fatal Frame II was one of the absolute best examples of survival horror, but people seem to habitually gloss over that series in favor of the Silent Hill vs. Resident Evil debate.
i'm surprise that no one ever talks about system shock or system shock 2 when it comes to survival horror, these are some of the best examples out there

sin2beta

« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2013, 06:11:02 pm »
- I don't like a lot of cartridge games, since having grown up on the N64.

FIFY
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2013, 06:21:23 pm »
Haha, I like that you're playing Nier. That game is hideously addicting!

I have less experience with Siren, but like you, imported a physical copy of Blood Curse. Excellent stuff, though the episodic nature sometimes kills the momentum for me. I'm just glad I was able to get it on disc, because trying to download that whole thing would've driven me up the wall.

Oh man. If Siren is my favorite horror game of all time, Nier is my favorite game of all time. I could go on and on about that game. I love it so much that I went out of my way to import Replicant, despite the fact that the middle-aged protagonist in Gestalt is what caught my interest in the first place. And that my Japanese is... poor. But I digress. I thought having an older character as the protagonist in a JRPG was very refreshing, and I'm still blown away by just how  likeable the main characters are. Yeah, the gameplay, while solid, wasn't anything to write home about, and the graphics could've used a little polish, but I about lost my mind when my 360 ate my original disc and I had to wait a couple of weeks for a new copy to arrive in the mail. The soundtrack also kicks so much ass.

Ahem.

While I did like them quite a lot, I always thought the Siren sequels were inferior to the original. I think the absolutely brutal difficulty of that game is what made it so scary for me. I'm also a big fan of out-of-order storytelling. I like putting my two brain cells to use and putting the pieces together on my own. But I definitely agree with you when you say that the episodic nature of Blood Curse did slow the momentum. All the more reason to buy the physical copy, I guess.

doctorlaudanum

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions? survival horror
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2013, 06:27:17 pm »

i'm surprise that no one ever talks about system shock or system shock 2 when it comes to survival horror, these are some of the best examples out there

I still haven't gotten around to playing the original SS, but I really liked SS2 a lot. Those Cyborg Midwives get me every time. Unfortunately, I have a PC that implodes on itself if you load anything more complicated than Solitaire, so I'm missing out on quite a few horror musts. I still haven't been able to finish Amnesia because my comp likes to freeze up at the worst possible time. It's pretty sad that my ancient computer could handle SS2 better than my shiny new one can. I'm also awful at first person shooters.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2013, 06:34:12 pm »
- I don't like a lot of cartridge games, since having grown up on the N64.

FIFY

This cannot end well. I laughed anyway.

htimreimer

« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2013, 06:48:12 pm »

I still haven't gotten around to playing the original SS, but I really liked SS2 a lot. Those Cyborg Midwives get me every time. Unfortunately, I have a PC that implodes on itself if you load anything more complicated than Solitaire, so I'm missing out on quite a few horror musts. I still haven't been able to finish Amnesia because my comp likes to freeze up at the worst possible time. It's pretty sad that my ancient computer could handle SS2 better than my shiny new one can. I'm also awful at first person shooters.
its not much of a fps, ss2 is a hybrid of many different genres, for an example, its a stealth game because it is possible hide and sneak from the enemies because they react to sounds and visual cues, its all about playing with its rpg system