Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 187587 times)

90snostalga

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2014, 02:16:46 pm »
Finished GTA3 on the ps2...On way to Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2014, 05:00:47 pm »

Just beat the story mode of WWE 2K14, the "30 Years of WrestleMania" mode.

Pretty fun. Set-up just like WWE '13's Attitude Era mode. But it did feel a little copy & paste from WWE '13, and not quite as much TLC put into it. But you'll still get plenty of enjoyment out of it if you're a wrestling fan, or an old one feeling nostalgic. It spans from the Hulkamania era all the way to this very last WrestleMania.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2014, 11:12:30 am »
I just finished Link Between Worlds. This is, hands down, the best game I've played in a long time. I haven't been so engaged in a game in years.
Now, on to Mario & Luigi Dream Team.

« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2014, 12:24:56 pm »
Finished it earlier this week, but beat Chrono Trigger for the first time. Definitely a game deserving of the hype and reputation it has. Loved every minute of it :)

brunauss

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »
LEGO Star Wars III. Played it for 12 hours once a week and finished it 100% in 4. Frustrating working around all those glitches. some of them are just hilarious though. such as half the floor disappearing in the mini kit bay after leaving the elevator or the entire droid transport ship disappearing after same action.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2014, 01:05:04 pm »
Finished it earlier this week, but beat Chrono Trigger for the first time. Definitely a game deserving of the hype and reputation it has. Loved every minute of it :)

Did you get Magus? I ended up killing him in the battle, only to find out afterwards that I was supposed to give up, and he would join my party if I did so.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2014, 01:13:47 pm »

Heh - Funny that you should say that!

I was also very late to the party with playing both FF VII and Chrono Trigger.

I didn't get around to playing FF VII until around 2010 or 2011 (and, IMO I thought that it was a pretty over-rated game).

Don't get me wrong - I played it all the way through & I didn't actually *Hate* the game, or anything -and- I'll freely admit that had I played it when it 1st came out & while it was still fresh...I may have very well thought a lot more of the game.

Again, IMO...I honestly would rate FF VII somewhere between a 6 and a 7.

As for Chrono Trigger...

...As many of you here will remember - I decided (at *Literally*) the last possible second to evacuate & leave my house an hour or 2 in front of that Bitch SANDY, and drove about 100 miles north (still in Jersey, though) to stay at my sister's house for a day or two.

Anyway...I'd fully charged & grabbed my DSi-XL, my PSP, and a couple of games for each.

I started playing Chrono Trigger then/there (the DS version) and I had (just about as much) fun as I'll ever have playing on a Hand-held.

I own a bunch and I own a ton of games for 'em...but...for me, Hand-helds are strictly my least favorite & "Last Resort" choice for playing games on.

So, once I got back home a day or 2 later - I put down the DS version & started from the beginning playing the PS1 version on my PS3.

I liked it better than FF VII and would probably rate it at about an 8/10.

Which version(s) did you play & how did you like the game?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2014, 02:22:30 pm »
Just finished GTA V story mode, and most of the side missions.  The story, while goofy, kept me interested, and was WAY better than GTA IV. 

One thing I've noticed is that the game has gotten so large and complex, that there are parts of the game that one could completely miss.  As an example, you can still do Taxi missions if you want.  I mean, at no point in the game does it tell you so, but I needed a "nondescript" getaway car for a mission, and i thought, "Hey! Taxi! That's pretty non-descript" so I called the cab company (something that also isn't mentioned in game), jacked the taxi that showed up, and then the menu for the taxi missions showed up.

Don't get me wrong, it's not some amazing game mode that everyone needs to see, it just leaves me to wonder what else I might have missed in the game. 

There were still a few minor annoyances:  I stumbled across the flight school while near the airport, and so I did all the flight school missions with Trevor, only to find out later that I needed to do them all again with Michael.  Would have been nice to get a heads up on that.  Or leave it locked or something until that mission.

Also, no spoilers, but you can play the stock market in game, and you get some pretty solid tips throughout side missions.  In retrospect, I wish I had completed every other mission first, so I had LOADS of cash to invest when I got those tips. 

I also thought the "random bystander" missions were interesting.  Someone would get robbed or something, and you could choose whether or not to help them.  What was neat was that there was no moral certainty to your choice.  Many times, you could kill the robber, and just take the money and run, with no consequence.  Occasionally, when I would return the stolen stuff, I'd get a minor portion back as a reward, or an email with a little reward.  It was a natural feeling mechanic where you *might* get rewarded, and might not, and were left to your own devices.

I'm totally done with full game collection missions.  Maybe that tickles someone else's fancy, but not mine.  I liked the mechanic in ACII where picking up the hidden stuff would unlock weapons, but the "collect for the sake of collecting," no TY.

Haven't touched online yet.

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience, story, characters, etc.

bobster

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »
I just beat A Link Between Worlds. Man that was so good. Not a single complaint other than it had to end.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:09 am »

Heh - Funny that you should say that!

I was also very late to the party with playing both FF VII and Chrono Trigger.

I didn't get around to playing FF VII until around 2010 or 2011 (and, IMO I thought that it was a pretty over-rated game).

Don't get me wrong - I played it all the way through & I didn't actually *Hate* the game, or anything -and- I'll freely admit that had I played it when it 1st came out & while it was still fresh...I may have very well thought a lot more of the game.

Again, IMO...I honestly would rate FF VII somewhere between a 6 and a 7.

As for Chrono Trigger...

...As many of you here will remember - I decided (at *Literally*) the last possible second to evacuate & leave my house an hour or 2 in front of that Bitch SANDY, and drove about 100 miles north (still in Jersey, though) to stay at my sister's house for a day or two.

Anyway...I'd fully charged & grabbed my DSi-XL, my PSP, and a couple of games for each.

I started playing Chrono Trigger then/there (the DS version) and I had (just about as much) fun as I'll ever have playing on a Hand-held.

I own a bunch and I own a ton of games for 'em...but...for me, Hand-helds are strictly my least favorite & "Last Resort" choice for playing games on.

So, once I got back home a day or 2 later - I put down the DS version & started from the beginning playing the PS1 version on my PS3.

I liked it better than FF VII and would probably rate it at about an 8/10.

Which version(s) did you play & how did you like the game?

I am not a huge handheld person either, but I do go through phases (actually in one at the moment) where I love playing handhelds.

But back to Chrono Trigger lol. I own all three released if it (PS1, SNES, and DS) and decided I'd play the original cart on the SNES. I thought it was very good in just about every way. There were several things that felt sort of dated, but overall the game still stands up very, very well and possesses a charm and sense of character seen in very few games. It was a blast and thus far it is my favorite SNES RPG.

I got my first SNES back in 1995, however I only played and owned platformers ad action games on. So I definitely didn't start playing games like Secret of Mana, FFIII, and Chrono Trigger until much later. I actually didn't get into RPGs until around 2000 with FFVII being my first. Part of the reason I love FFVII so much is partially because it was my first RPG, but also it has an incredible story and just about everything else is awesome. The only thing that hasn't aged well are the graphics, but I definitely am not a graphics snob lol. I can see where the FFVII is overrated crowd is coming from, but I personally think it is most deserving of its laudable reputation.

And burningdoom, I killed Magus. Lol, couldn't allow him to get away with what he did to Frog.

foxhack

« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2014, 12:13:46 pm »
I beat Deadpool!

... then he beat me up with a rubber chicken and a blow up doll.

foxhack

« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2014, 11:15:27 pm »
Aaaaaaaaand beat it again, this time with all achievements cleared.

Woo. I'm tired.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2014, 01:24:12 am »

I beat Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara last night, the Xbox Live Arcade version. Both the Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara. And no, I didn't do it on one continue.

Both are pretty short, which is to be expected from a beat-em up. But there was a lot more going on here than your average beat-em up. Light-RPG elements. Item usage. Equipment pick-ups. Magic spells (for magic-users). And even a couple special moves. And each playable character felt unique to play as with their own set of specials and different feel to their movements. Very nice looking 2D graphics, too. A lot to like here.

Highly recommended for fans of Golden Axe or Cadash.

bobster

« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2014, 12:37:39 pm »

I beat Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara last night, the Xbox Live Arcade version. Both the Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara. And no, I didn't do it on one continue.

Both are pretty short, which is to be expected from a beat-em up. But there was a lot more going on here than your average beat-em up. Light-RPG elements. Item usage. Equipment pick-ups. Magic spells (for magic-users). And even a couple special moves. And each playable character felt unique to play as with their own set of specials and different feel to their movements. Very nice looking 2D graphics, too. A lot to like here.

Highly recommended for fans of Golden Axe or Cadash.
I saw Penny Arcade play through parts of the game and it looked really awesome! I'll have to pick it up on the PS3.

bobster

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2014, 04:50:41 pm »
I just beat Startropics on the NES. It was as good as I remember it when I was younger. But fuck those space ship levels though. Those were the worst.