Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 190121 times)

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #435 on: August 03, 2014, 02:10:44 am »
I just completed Casper: Spirit Dimensions for some damn reason.

The game was awful.

It was also hilarious in a kusoge way.
It was a third-person-shooter set-up, but the sticks' respective controls were reversed, that is, you used the left stick to look and the right to move around. Not airplane reversed.

At times the game seems quite unfinished, especially in the cut-scene department (best part of the game imo)

The most frustrating bit a came across, other than some cheap, cheap playtime extending mechanics, is that you can't save with 100%
Before the final boss, you have 90%. After him, you have 100%, but can't save. After the credits roll, you're booted out to the title screen. Humph.

It all makes it worth it however, to see Casper's disturbing-as-hell win-dance. (Think Crash's dance, if he were a about a tenth as coordinated and looked like a milky-translucent baby)

argyle

« Reply #436 on: August 03, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »
There, beat Arkham Origins.  Story was pretty good, but the gameplay felt like what it was from beginning to end - another dev trying to copy Arkham City.  It was a definite step below the Rocksteady efforts.  I wanted to beat it tho before the new "real" Arkham game next year, because I figure it will be *really* hard to go back to it after that.  This is the first one where I don't feel compelled to collect all the doo-dads tho.  Finishing the story is good enough for me. 

So here's the year so far:

Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Pt. 1
Bravely Default demo
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Y's: Memories of Celceta
DMC
South Park: The Stick of Truth
inFamous: Second Son
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havok
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Ghost Squad
Retro Game Challenge
Fallout 3
Batman: Arkham Origins
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #437 on: August 04, 2014, 12:26:49 am »
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
-Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (XBox Live Arcade) (I beat both games: Tower of Doom & Shadow of Mystara)
-The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (3DS)
-Mega Man Legends (PS1) - Beat Again
-New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
-Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
-WWE 2K14 (XBox 360)
-Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS1)
-King's Field II (PS1) (King's Field III outside the U.S.)
-Raiden Fighters (XBox 360)
-Raiden Fighters 2 (XBox 360)
-Raiden Fighters: Jet (XBox 360)

-Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)

What a fantastic game to end a fantastic series. No joke, this may not take the #1 spot for my all-time favorite JRPG, replacing Chrono Trigger on that list. Fan-freaking-tastic story that has lots of connecting plot-threads and big-twist moments with many endearing characters. The game and story really made you feel you like you were on this grand adventure. I LOVED the interaction of the Psynergy puzzles, mixed with the JRPG gameplay, the puzzle elements really reminded me of a 2D Zelda game. And man, dat ending!

Very, VERY satisfied with this series.

I really, REALLY hope they follow this series up with a 3DS sequel. The after-credits scene left it wide-open for one.

If you are a fan of RPGs, you won't be disappointed with this one.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:29:45 am by burningdoom »

argyle

« Reply #438 on: August 04, 2014, 12:41:08 am »

What a fantastic game to end a fantastic series. No joke, this may not take the #1 spot for my all-time favorite JRPG, replacing Chrono Trigger on that list. Fan-freaking-tastic story that has lots of connecting plot-threads and big-twist moments with many endearing characters. The game and story really made you feel you like you were on this grand adventure. I LOVED the interaction of the Psynergy puzzles, mixed with the JRPG gameplay, the puzzle elements really reminded me of a 2D Zelda game. And man, dat ending!

I really, REALLY hope they follow this series up with a 3DS sequel. The after-credits scene left it wide-open for one.

I picked this up for cheap from Big Lots earlier this year but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Do you have to have played the older games in the series first or does it stand on its own?
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #439 on: August 04, 2014, 12:44:13 am »

I picked this up for cheap from Big Lots earlier this year but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Do you have to have played the older games in the series first or does it stand on its own?

Yeah, I'd say it definitely helps to have played the first two games, first. Everything will mean so much more. And a lot of stuff directly connects to it.

The first two games are almost like two-halves to the same game. Really cool, and epic games, as well, well worth picking up. Though the graphics aren't as impressive (naturally, being that they're on GBA).

scott

« Reply #440 on: August 04, 2014, 01:37:49 pm »
Just beat Caslevania: Portrait of Ruin and I really enjoyed it.  I had already beat the other two in the DS trilogy and I might like this one best.  Those last two bosses are a nice challenge and a fitting end to the game.

Nice! I enjoyed Portrait, and the whole tandem characters thing. The whole game had some pretty epic moments in it.

It really did.  I'm glad to see other people really like Portrait of Ruin too.  Back when those games came out, we were spoiled by getting three great 2D Castlevania games on one system and now I wonder if we'll ever get another 2D one.  It has been a long time since Order of Ecclesia came out.

I don't know. Koji Igarashi has left Konami and he was pretty much the driving force behind the Metroidvania style Castlevania games. Personally, I want to see another one soon. And I'm so glad that MercurySteam has said that after Lords of Shadow 2 they'll be passing on making any more Castlevanias. Other than Mirror of Fate, I've not been a big fan of the LoS titles.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #441 on: August 04, 2014, 07:04:22 pm »
Just beat Caslevania: Portrait of Ruin and I really enjoyed it.  I had already beat the other two in the DS trilogy and I might like this one best.  Those last two bosses are a nice challenge and a fitting end to the game.

Nice! I enjoyed Portrait, and the whole tandem characters thing. The whole game had some pretty epic moments in it.

It really did.  I'm glad to see other people really like Portrait of Ruin too.  Back when those games came out, we were spoiled by getting three great 2D Castlevania games on one system and now I wonder if we'll ever get another 2D one.  It has been a long time since Order of Ecclesia came out.

I don't know. Koji Igarashi has left Konami and he was pretty much the driving force behind the Metroidvania style Castlevania games. Personally, I want to see another one soon. And I'm so glad that MercurySteam has said that after Lords of Shadow 2 they'll be passing on making any more Castlevanias. Other than Mirror of Fate, I've not been a big fan of the LoS titles.

Ahhh.... that makes perfect sense.  I always was impressed by the continuity in the series from Symphony of the Night (My first Castlevania game) through the GBA and DS and now I know why.  I've yet to play any of the 3D Castlevania games, but I am going to try LoS and Mirror of Fate soon just to see what the series has turned into more recently.  Konami would be smart to make some kind of 2D version of Castlevania again even if it was a downloadable only title.  There are too many of us who want that much more than a 3D game.
When I'm not playing video games, I draw them.  You can see more at:
https://isuckworse.deviantart.com/

retroone

« Reply #442 on: August 04, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »
I am trying to beat all of the Capcom NES games. Completed Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, now onto Mega Man 2.

abe

« Reply #443 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:39 pm »
Finished the main story of Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness. ;D Onto the postgame now! I've really enjoyed it so far, and it'll be the first Disgaea game where I bother with the postgame stuff. As a whole, it's the easiest Disgaea game I've played so far, but it had the hardest boss battle of any I've played.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

90snostalga

« Reply #444 on: August 05, 2014, 02:32:10 am »
After playing lollipop chainsaw for roughly 8 hiyrs straight, I beat it. I personally rate it 10/10. Fantastic game but is super duper fun! ;D :D I recommd it to anyone with a 360

argyle

« Reply #445 on: August 05, 2014, 08:41:25 am »
After playing lollipop chainsaw for roughly 8 hiyrs straight, I beat it. I personally rate it 10/10. Fantastic game but is super duper fun! ;D :D I recommd it to anyone with a 360

Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed this game so much.  My favorite Suda game, definitely.  :D

scott

« Reply #446 on: August 05, 2014, 08:49:46 am »
Konami would be smart to make some kind of 2D version of Castlevania again even if it was a downloadable only title.

NNNNNOooooooooo.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #447 on: August 05, 2014, 12:19:23 pm »
Konami would be smart to make some kind of 2D version of Castlevania again even if it was a downloadable only title.

NNNNNOooooooooo.

Why not? Quick-time event Castlevania sucks.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #448 on: August 05, 2014, 12:20:01 pm »
I am trying to beat all of the Capcom NES games. Completed Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, now onto Mega Man 2.

That is a lofty goal. Capcom made a crapload of games on the NES. But it sounds like a fun goal, too. Capcom made some of the best third-party NES games, too.

retroone

« Reply #449 on: August 05, 2014, 12:29:50 pm »

That is a lofty goal. Capcom made a crapload of games on the NES. But it sounds like a fun goal, too. Capcom made some of the best third-party NES games, too.

The problem with that is I suck at the Mega Man games  :P