Author Topic: The game speculation thread  (Read 2025 times)

sin2beta

The game speculation thread
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:42:12 pm »
I thought it would be nice to have a thread stating what games might or will fetch a big price in the future. I put this in the classic section to avoid the buy the limited edition, don't open it, and sell it on ebay in a month.  I am specifically looking for games that are not outrageous now, but probably will be. For example, Snatcher may increase in value, but it is already considered a holy grail of sorts, so I don't count that for the thread.

Futurama (Xbox) - I have slowly been watching this game get more and more expensive. I started watching it last year, it would sell for $20, which I deemed too expensive for an xbox game. However, now it sells for between 35 and 40 very regularly. (not counting stock photo auctions, I ignore those)

If you are collecting for the original xbox... pick up Futurama.

Urban Strike (Game Gear) - This one may or may not go up. The game gear does not have a high ceiling on prices. But the game seems to be extremely rare. Game Gear fans seem to know this and scour ebay for the key price. One just popped up for $20, which is over market value. But it you put it up for a BIN at $10 a collector will buy it within a few views. Considering how few appear on ebay, I could see this getting really high (game gear high is 25-40). If I ran a store, I would slowly collect these at around 10 a pop.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

Re: The game speculation thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 01:06:33 pm »
Great thread idea, I often wonder which games will be worth anything.
Hopefully more people post here!
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 01:44:26 pm »
I think that buying (and keeping sealed -and- no, just just to re-sell it in a few weeks/months:) just about any NIS, Atlus, and...maybe...X-Seed RPG's have been, are, and (at least as long as they continue w/ the limited/smaller-count print-runs coupled with very little to no advertising & marketing at all); will continue to be pretty safe bets.

Also, seems like the Pokemon series of games (on multiple systems) are one of the best games & series for either holding and/or going up in value...

*EDIT* to say that I forgot to mention/include Aksys as another potentially good one  8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:46:33 pm by disgaeniac »
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 01:53:43 pm »
Also, seems like the Pokemon series of games (on multiple systems) are one of the best games & series for either holding and/or going up in value...

I see them going for $60+!
I wish as a kid I knew they'd be worth that much in the box!
I have them all (just as they suggest/command you to) with no boxes :/
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 02:16:53 pm »
Yeah - as far as the Pokemon games/series goes...the *ONLY* ones that actually cost around (What I Think They *Should*) cost are the ones for the Gamecube (like Gale & Colloseum); I *think* that they're called...

So, I'll hypothesize that if it:

A). Says "Pokemon" on it, and

B). If it's on a *cartridge* = don't expect to find it cheaply anytime soon  :o

soera

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 02:57:45 pm »
I will make a speculation but its going to be a bit more generic. I sense that the Gamecube is going to be THE system to collect for in the future. Its a totally different world for Nintendo. After the crap shoots that was the Virtual boy and the N64, Nintendo fully redeemed themselves with the Gamecube.  Went back to a good controller and its their first real disk based system. The gameboy player made the system very useful and the fact that the Wii is backwards compatible allows a large audience to be able to play the games. And they had some decent games. Almost every Zelda game made is playable on the GC in some form or other for example. I recently finished my Zelda GC collection and am so happy to have it now.

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »
I will make a speculation but its going to be a bit more generic. I sense that the Gamecube is going to be THE system to collect for in the future. Its a totally different world for Nintendo. After the crap shoots that was the Virtual boy and the N64, Nintendo fully redeemed themselves with the Gamecube.  Went back to a good controller and its their first real disk based system. The gameboy player made the system very useful and the fact that the Wii is backwards compatible allows a large audience to be able to play the games. And they had some decent games. Almost every Zelda game made is playable on the GC in some form or other for example. I recently finished my Zelda GC collection and am so happy to have it now.
when it comes to nintendo its hard to say what will be a collectors item, the nintendo's fan base can be broken down into several markets and this make's knowing whats valuable and what will become valuable vary difficult

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 03:55:10 pm »
Pretty much anything first-party Nintendo seems to be rising in price. Makes me glad I was a Nintendo kid. Not that I'd sell most of them anyways.

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:05:29 pm »
Pretty much anything first-party Nintendo seems to be rising in price. Makes me glad I was a Nintendo kid. Not that I'd sell most of them anyways.
thats true

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 09:31:03 am »
Also...strategy guides  :o

I've seen A LOT (mainly PS1 RPG's) of guides that cost a significant amount more (double and up, even) than the games themselves...now that (guide-speculation) -IMHO- would be pretty interesting  8)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 02:48:30 pm »
Ok, hear me out before you think I'm crazy. 

In the next few years, when this video game collecting gets really crazy there is going to be a rise in the cost of...

Sports Games

It won't be the Maddens or anything else with a year, but the generic sports games like Tecmo Bowl and World Cup Soccer will go up.  My reasoning for this thinking is the fact that no one wants them right now.  They get destroyed and thrown out.  I know Game Xchange tends to throw these things out when they get too deep on the shelves.  People are going to be after that elusive "full set" and those Jaleco sports games are going to go up in value.

Go grab them for 25 cents and sell them for 3 bucks in a year. 

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 05:03:52 pm »

In the next few years, when this video game collecting gets really crazy there is going to be a rise in the cost of...

Sports Games

It won't be the Maddens or anything else with a year, but the generic sports games like Tecmo Bowl and World Cup Soccer will go up.  My reasoning for this thinking is the fact that no one wants them right now.  They get destroyed and thrown out.  I know Game Xchange tends to throw these things out when they get too deep on the shelves.  People are going to be after that elusive "full set" and those Jaleco sports games are going to go up in value.

For full set collectors, pick up the sport games. That actually seems to be the thinking now. In the UK mega drive set, the rarest game is Lakers vs Celtics. The sports games are some of the toughest to find in the Genesis set. But yeah, it is always some lesser known sports game.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

patrickmeansly

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 09:46:41 pm »

Sports Games

For full set collectors, pick up the sport games. That actually seems to be the thinking now. In the UK mega drive set, the rarest game is Lakers vs Celtics. The sports games are some of the toughest to find in the Genesis set. But yeah, it is always some lesser known sports game.

GAME X CHANGE???????  GAME X CHANGE STILL EXIST??????  THERE WAS  A GAME X CHANGE IN MY TOWN UNTIL ABOUT 2001 THEN GAME STOP BOUGHT THEM OUT AND IT WAS BYE BYE CLASSIC GAMES!  NEVER SEEN ONE AFTER THAT.  SORRY I WAS IMPRESSED.  I USED TO FREAKING LOVE GAME X CHANGE

patrickmeansly

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 09:48:40 pm »
I WOULD SAY THAT I THINK CARTRIDGE GAMES WILL ALWAYS HAVE A HIGHER VALUE THAN CD GAMES FOR THE MOST PARTS.  THAT IS, ANY CD GAMES AFTER THE YEAR 2000.  ITS SO MUCH HARDER TO FIND CARTRIDGE GAMES COMPLETE IN BOX THAN IT IS CD GAMES.  AND I THINK THE GENERATION NOW DOESN'T TAKE PRIDE OR CARE IN GAMES AS MUCH AS MY GENERATION DID AS A KID.  I THINK A LOT OF SEGA 32X GAMES AND GENESIS CARDBOARD BOX GAMES WILL CONTINUE TO RISE IN VALUE AND ARE GETTING MORE RARE OVER TIME, BUT THEN AGAIN WHO AM I

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 07:37:56 am »
I WOULD SAY THAT I THINK CARTRIDGE GAMES WILL ALWAYS HAVE A HIGHER VALUE THAN CD GAMES FOR THE MOST PARTS.  THAT IS, ANY CD GAMES AFTER THE YEAR 2000.  ITS SO MUCH HARDER TO FIND CARTRIDGE GAMES COMPLETE IN BOX THAN IT IS CD GAMES.  AND I THINK THE GENERATION NOW DOESN'T TAKE PRIDE OR CARE IN GAMES AS MUCH AS MY GENERATION DID AS A KID.  I THINK A LOT OF SEGA 32X GAMES AND GENESIS CARDBOARD BOX GAMES WILL CONTINUE TO RISE IN VALUE AND ARE GETTING MORE RARE OVER TIME, BUT THEN AGAIN WHO AM I

Easy on the CAPS there, friend...