Author Topic: LucasArts Rebooted by Disney  (Read 2268 times)

htimreimer

LucasArts Rebooted by Disney
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:17:29 pm »
disney has officially confirms that lucas arts will stop making games after 31 years, lucas arts will now license there ip's to other companies to develop, the current fate of all of their projects including star wars 1313 is unknown but it likely that they will be license out to companies: source of info
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:19:50 pm by htimreimer »

Re: LucasArts Rebooted by Disney all projects including Star Wars 1313
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:31:36 pm »
This sux :(

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: LucasArts Rebooted by Disney all projects including Star Wars 1313
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 08:53:32 pm »
I heard they were closing the doors, but where's the "reboot"?

htimreimer

Re: LucasArts Rebooted by Disney
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:12 pm »
I heard they were closing the doors, but where's the "reboot"?
from what i heard, they will still some what exist as a subsidiary of disney but instead of making games they will just license old & new ip's out, almost everything about lucas arts is out and they are rebooting the company in to a licensing entity and nothing else, so basically lucas arts will become atari with better management
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:38:41 pm by htimreimer »

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:41:17 pm »
maybe more of a restructure than a reboot.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:46:42 pm »
I dunno. I always felt that most of LucasArts games were pretty "Meh" anyways. There are a few gems, but for the most part, their games always seemed kinda crappy to me.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:54:05 pm »
maybe more of a restructure than a reboot.
i can't really say yes or no to that, the information that disney has given to us has been both informative and uninformative, causing people (including me) to get confused on whats going on

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:05:19 pm »
I dunno. I always felt that most of LucasArts games were pretty "Meh" anyways. There are a few gems, but for the most part, their games always seemed kinda crappy to me.

They've had some gems. Monkey Island and such.

While they are not my favorite company. They are a long-lived legacy company. I hate to see them go.

I'm kind of shocked Disney closed them down. When Disney bought Marvel, they kept the business in tact and just used their IPs. I assumed the same would happen to the Lucas Companies.

jobocan

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:25:34 pm »
It's a completely weird decision, but I'm trying to stay positive... Since it basically remains as a licensing company for all the LucasArt franchise, maybe it means some companies will obtain licenses for some long-dead franchises like Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Grim Fandango and Full Throttle... One can only hope.

Still, that's a bunch of people losing their jobs right there, hopefully some of them will find something else... in a crashing industry...

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:02:48 pm »
Was it a coincidence that Gearbox tweeted that they were taking applications today? 

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 11:13:35 pm »
Was it a coincidence that Gearbox tweeted that they were taking applications today?

Gearbox: Now Hiring for director of outsourcing code.

Or are they just forwarding resumes to timegate?  8)

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 01:42:30 am »

They've had some gems. Monkey Island and such.

While they are not my favorite company. They are a long-lived legacy company. I hate to see them go.

I'm kind of shocked Disney closed them down. When Disney bought Marvel, they kept the business in tact and just used their IPs. I assumed the same would happen to the Lucas Companies.
Marvel is bleeding readers.

I kind of expect something similar to happen to their print division soon.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 02:47:22 pm »
Sad, but not surprising. The 90's are long over, and the time of SCUMM-based adventure games is sadly a thing of the past. Plenty of fond memories, but like Sierra, they really never quite found their footing again.

brunauss

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:22:24 pm »
Sad, but not surprising. The 90's are long over, and the time of SCUMM-based adventure games is sadly a thing of the past. Plenty of fond memories, but like Sierra, they really never quite found their footing again.

Roberta Williams made her mark on adventure gaming to be sure.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:49 pm »
Laserfrog posted some good words (at least if you like his dry sense of humor, which I do) about the demise of LucasArts.