Author Topic: A couple Saturn games?  (Read 4867 times)

Re: A couple Saturn games?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 09:06:16 pm »
Thanks everyone! I really wanna check out enemy zero now, sounds interesting enough
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

jcalder8

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 09:19:17 pm »
Astal looks pretty good, I'll have to check it out too!

scott

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 09:23:55 pm »
*cough* I have a bunch of Saturn games for sale!  ::)

Of course there is a lot of crap in there though, ha.  :D
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:05 pm »
Lol, I'll check your sell list in a few, Scott
I make music.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 03:17:21 am »
I really wanna check out enemy zero now, sounds interesting enough

Happy to hear it. Enemy Zero's creator, Kenji Eno, is was one of the biggest BAMFs in the gaming industry, and his games really do deserve more attention, despite their flaws. (EDIT: So I just found out that Eno apparently died this past February. He was young, too. That's... kind of a downer.  :-[)

Now that I think about it, there's one thing I forgot to warn you about: the considerable lag in certain parts of the game. Most of Enemy Zero is played in the pixelated hallways of the ship, which are rendered in-game, but some places, such as individual cabins and rooms, are pre-rendered CGI. The CGI is quite impressive for the time, too. But the loading needed to process these rooms causes your character to move very slowly in an on-rails setup that's a bit hard to describe without visuals. It's nothing that ruined the game for me, but I know it will turn a few people off.

I recommend this guy's review of the game. It includes footage of a character death, but that scene is from the intro of the game, so it's probably not much of an issue. It's clear he loves the game, but he isn't shy about pointing out its flaws:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8poE-fdsZYM
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:28:44 am by doctorlaudanum »
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 12:53:46 pm »
Be prepared to spend some cash, its probably the most expensive system to buy games for (average price).  However, it is my favorite system.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 12:56:13 pm »
Be prepared to spend some cash, its probably the most expensive system to buy games for (average price).  However, it is my favorite system.

Neo Geo AES and MVS easily has the Saturn beat in that department.

There are a LOT of affordable games on Saturn that are great. Yes, there are some highly sought after ones like Panzer Dragoon Saga, and House of the Dead. But then there are fantastic titles like Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, and Daytona USA that are quite cheap.

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 01:00:45 pm »
I noticed that right after I got it varkias  ;D
It will make my collection mean that much more to me lol
I usually find people who will trade with me,
soon I'm trading some sealed Magic cards for a few games

Virtua Fighter 2
Hexen
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Virtua Cop 2 with two of the revolver-style light guns
Blazing Dragons
Criticom
Black Fire
Madden 97
Warcraft 2

And Shining Force 3!
I make music.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 01:29:03 pm »
If you're looking for Virtua Fighter 2, check out the "Pay it Forward" thread. 

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 10:24:32 pm »
So I traded a couple magic cards (since I never play, ever) for some games today!
Ended up with Virtua Fighter 2, Warcraft 2, Hexen and Black Fire.
All of them are in decent condition, and none of them were scratched! (Let's hope it stays that way lol!)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:44:28 am by torvez »
I make music.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:15 pm »
So I traded a couple magic cards (since I never play, ever) for some games today!
Ended up with Virtua Fighter 2, Warcraft 2, Hexen and Black Fire.
All of them are in decent condition, and none of them were scratched! (Let's hope it stays that way lol!)

I swear I didn't take this picture upside down! Lmao

I really like Hexen. I think it's constantly underrated by game sites. I never have played the Saturn version, specifically, though. Warcraft 2 is one I played on Playstation and really enjoyed, but again have never played the Saturn version specifically.

Virtua Fighter 2 is a great pick if you're into 3D fighters. But be warned, it is a bit clunky by today's standards.

Black Fire I've never played. Let me know how it is.

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 12:23:20 am »
@Burningdoom, I'm having a blast with Hexen and Warcraft 2! I've played WC2 on the PC and the controls take some getting used to, but I'm diggin' it. I really like Virtua Fighter 2 , takes me back to before they demolished the old arcade I used to go to. I'm not sure what to think of Black Fire yet, I'm not really interested in flight simulators, but I will be sure to give it a fair chance and let you know what I think!
I make music.

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 02:36:20 am »
Just curious, I see alot of Japanese Saturn games on ebay that are decently priced.
Does anyone know if any of those games translate to English?
I know a few american titles translate to other languages.
I'm also aware that I'd need an Action Replay or similar cart for this.
I make music.

sin2beta

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 01:32:31 pm »
Just curious, I see alot of Japanese Saturn games on ebay that are decently priced.
Does anyone know if any of those games translate to English?
I know a few american titles translate to other languages.
I'm also aware that I'd need an Action Replay or similar cart for this.

Most don't have an english option or language select.

However, a lot of games are actually in english. A lot of games have a mix. And a lot are nothing but Japanese. You definitely have to research it first.

However, a lot of the games are cheaper. But not all. When I started collecting for the saturn, I decided to collect exclusively japanese titles. I did this because:

1) the price - most games are cheaper, even with shipping counted in. But be careful, for every expensive saturn game we have, they have one. Just depends on the titles you are looking for.

2) the cases - US saturn cases suck. I also am building a sega cd collection and that is all of the big cases I want.

3) Nostalgia - As a kid, I lived in Japan for a little while (dad was in the air force). Also, during the mid 90s, I was mega envious of the titles Japan would get. So, it is nice to have a system from that time being an import only system.

4) The saturn is not my favorite system - It has some good games, but never really spoke to me personally.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 05:37:34 pm »
Thanks, sin2beta!
I never got a chance to play the Saturn when it came out, I'm really enjoying it (because it's new to me)
Everyone says how much they hate the NA Saturn cases, but I was actually looking forward to throwing some of those long boxes on my shelf lol.
I really like them for some reason  :o
The Sega CD is also uncharted territory for me.
My dad would only give money to Sony and Nintendo lol!
But I'm looking forward to owning and collecting for that as well.

Also, I finally got out to my favorite game store today, and the only title worth mentioning they had was Sonic 3D Blast.
I will probably pick it up next week, but I was disappointing (because they usually have whatever I'm looking for!)
But all is well, because my girlfriend bought an in box SNES for $70 and they threw in A Link To The Past with the manual and Killer Instinct for FREE!
And out of this, I get her old SNES! (Another system I never had the privilege of owning!)
Lol, time to figure out how to formulate some "Retr0brite". ('Cause this thing is yella!)
I seriously love that store!
And my girlfriend  ;D
I make music.