Author Topic: Game Contents Text Field  (Read 805 times)

Game Contents Text Field
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:24:00 am »
For every listing (games, hardware, accessories, etc.) I think we should include a new text field that would be used to list all pack-in contents (manuals, inserts, maps, dust covers, artwork, etc.). I know we use the Description field to do this now, but I think both are needed to provide the best overall descriptions. Here is a pretty well known list for NES games:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/916386-nes/faqs/49943 .

Be sure to check out the hardware listings at the end. I think it would be great if we could do this for all of our items and list it in a newly created contents text field. The author created this list by opening sealed games and cataloging his findings. (Can we trust him for sure? Maybe he should have video taped himself opening the sealed games....) For accuracy reasons, this is definitely the best approach. If this sounds like a good idea, and we want to start with the list above, then we may need to author's permission.

Thoughts?

Re: Game Contents Text Field
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:28:56 am »
Also, sorta related to this, I know the Descriptions text field gets used incorrectly now, so should we add another additional text field to include these "incorrect descriptions."

scott

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:53:20 am »
Currently the "description" is being used for 3 kinds of information. Misc. Info, Pack-Ins and Variation Info. I'd be for, possibly, splitting it into 3 sections for these purposes, but I don't think we need to list full on game descriptions. You can usually get the gist of a game from the box text anyway, seems like having an additional description is redundant. Truthfully, we actually don't want to list game descriptions at all. There's too much chance of people copy/pasting things from other places, kinda like how @foxhack noticed something on the site that he helped write for another site.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 03:25:11 am »
Truthfully, we actually don't want to list game descriptions at all. There's too much chance of people copy/pasting things from other places, kinda like how @foxhack noticed something on the site that he helped write for another site.

I agree with this.

I would definitely like to see a separate entry for the pack-ins, as I described above. I would like to see every item listed, from the box to the plastic bag. This would be extremely helpful when buying/identifying complete games. When this is in place, we would also need a systematic way to input everything, so the Style Guide would need an update. It would also be nice to be able to lock the category from editing if it is confirmed complete. Maybe a pic could be taken and filed under the misc. pic section.