Author Topic: Whats your favorite series?  (Read 5610 times)

scott

Whats your favorite series?
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:36:31 am »
Everyone plays favorites, and most everyone has a series they hold in higher regard than all the rest.

I'm pretty sure you all can tell mine is Castlevania, but what's yours?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

madmax

Re: Whats your favorite series?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 01:39:49 am »
I think mines pretty obvious as it's all i talk about on here :P

(Final Fantasy)

I'm pretty sure I've said the back story but here goes. I was living at my g-mas because my father had been in a near fatal accident overseas and couldn't take care of me. She got some family member to lend me his snes and a few games to keep me distracted. He had zelda, mario and FFII. I beat zelda and mario but had never heard of Final Fantasy. I picked up the game and started playing it and was pretty much hooked. I left before i got to finish and ever since then I've loved Final Fantasy games.

darko

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 02:07:18 am »
I would have to say Metal Gear.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 03:41:38 am »
Good question... I realize that I own a lot of franchises... How many games constitutes a series?
Looking at my collection, looks like I have:
Broken Sword, Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey, FF, Golden Sun, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Rune Factory, Persona, other SMT titles, Star Ocean...
Is a franchise anything over 3 titles?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:53:22 am »
Is a franchise anything over 3 titles?

Well anything with sequels would be a series. Also, I tend to interchange "series" and "franchise". Maybe I should reword the question....

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 12:11:19 pm »
I have to pick just one?

Nope, can't do it.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pac-Man, among others.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 12:26:23 pm »
I have to pick just one?

Nope, can't do it.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pac-Man, among others.

:) I'm in the same boat.
I can maybe narrow it down to Persona, Ace Attorney, and Dragon Quest.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 06:57:22 pm »
King's Quest and Ys

scott

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 06:59:10 pm »
Actually, Castlevania is on top. But also Metal Gear and Zelda in no particular order. Of course, I do love some Final Fantasy too.... dammit

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 07:11:10 pm »
King's Quest and Ys

@pceslayer I've been thinking of picking up another Ys after playing through most of Ys Seven.  Thoughts on a definitive Ys title?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 07:49:20 pm »
Ys II  complete on PC  is probably the definitive Ys game in the series, but it doesn't play anything like the newer Ys games. Most people don't care for the run-n-bump style simplicity of the first few Ys games and are pretty much instantly turned off.

So difinitive is the PC remake Ys I & II Complete(PC) and runners up are Ys Book I & II  (TGCD/WiiVC) and Ys I & II Chronicles (PSP)

If you find you're not a fan of the run-n-bump, give Oath in Felghana a try, its a remake of Ys III which was more action oriented by nature and in turn the remake plays just like 7.

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 08:51:04 pm »
If you find you're not a fan of the run-n-bump, give Oath in Felghana a try, its a remake of Ys III which was more action oriented by nature and in turn the remake plays just like 7.

Cool; incidentally, I already have Oath in Felghana in my possession through GameFly, so I'll be sure to give it a try before sending it back (I haven't been good about actually playing my GameFly rentals lately, unfortunately).  I was wondering about Ys I & II, but noticed that a version had been put out on the DS, then another on the PSP... got confused by that, so I just jumped in with the later Ys Seven title after seeing the positive reviews.  Thanks for the advice!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 12:17:00 am »
1. Sonic the Hedgehog
2. Mario Bros.
3. Final Fantasy

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 01:08:51 am »
Easy question. Metal Gear, ever since I played Metal Gear Solid when I was younger.

I was also big into Syphon Filter, but the series got bad quick, and I haven't played the newest ones yet. Might as well throw Donkey Kong (Country) out there while I'm at it. Obviously, there's Mario and Zelda among several others.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 10:25:20 am »
Cool; incidentally, I already have Oath in Felghana in my possession through GameFly, so I'll be sure to give it a try before sending it back (I haven't been good about actually playing my GameFly rentals lately, unfortunately).  I was wondering about Ys I & II, but noticed that a version had been put out on the DS, then another on the PSP... got confused by that, so I just jumped in with the later Ys Seven title after seeing the positive reviews.  Thanks for the advice!

Yea the DS release is pure shite compared to the PSP release. I believe the source for the PSP version is Ys Complete where the DS version someone pulled it out of their ass.