Author Topic: Truly Massive Video Game Collection  (Read 6674 times)

blipcs76

Re: Truly Massive Video Game Collection
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 11:06:25 am »
I often wonder how someone this young has managed the time and money to collect that many games.  I've been adding stuff regularly for ten years and I only recently passed 1000 games.

sin2beta

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 11:24:38 am »
Pat the NES Punk is doing a series of videos on http://retrowaretv.com.  In his 10+ of swap meets and flea markets, he has hoarded an sickening amount of stuff.  Right now, he's only released 5 of the 7 part series.  Give it a look.

I've been enjoying these.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

brunauss

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 02:09:43 pm »
I often wonder how someone this young has managed the time and money to collect that many games.  I've been adding stuff regularly for ten years and I only recently passed 1000 games.

It helps to travel a bit too. Find a lot of bulk deals that way. Plus he likely lives on the west coast as well.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 03:03:18 pm »
That's cool and all that he has all of it, but none of it is being used. I can't stand to see people hoard games. Why does he need to have a boxed version, a loose version, a slightly similar variation of a console etc.? I don't know, personally, I don't collect just to say I have it (or 4 of them). I collect because I want to play games!
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:14 pm »
I collect because I want to play games too, and sometimes that curiosity leads to me having multiples of the same game, such as my collection of Eiyuu Densetsu 1-3 on near-enough  every format they're ever been on. The differences in the games and the packaging are enough for them to be worth it to me, even if they aren't for anyone else.

soera

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 03:34:35 pm »
I dont normally own more than 1 copy of any release with my Virtual console being the exception (a lot of the stuff on there I eventually found and bought a physical copy of cause Im sure my Wii will one day crash and burn and Nintendo does not allow the movement of any VC games from one Wii to another).

My collection consists of both display games, games I want to play, and sealed items although not much of the sealed stuff.

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 08:50:05 pm »
That's cool and all that he has all of it, but none of it is being used. I can't stand to see people hoard games. Why does he need to have a boxed version, a loose version, a slightly similar variation of a console etc.? I don't know, personally, I don't collect just to say I have it (or 4 of them). I collect because I want to play games!

gamer first collector second.

foxhack

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 09:43:34 pm »
OCD First.
Gamer Second.
Collector Third.

8)

scott

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 10:24:46 pm »
OCD First.
Gamer Second.
Collector Third.

8)

Truer words have never been said.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

brunauss

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 12:33:42 am »
OCD?
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 12:41:57 am »
Obsessive-compulsive disorder link, although people increasingly misuse it when all they actually mean is "I like to keep my games neat and tidy" or that they really like something (ex: "I'm totally OCD about getting every Final Fantasy port!".

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 04:26:16 am »
So I mentioned it in the other thread, but the Andrew kid is 20 and lives in Canada. I find it funny the amount of flack this guy is taking for his collection. Who is anyone on this site to dictate the "correct" way to collect video games? So kimimi, its okay for you to have 3 copy variations of a game but this guy isn't allowed collect systems in color variations? Whose to say you even have to play your stuff, maybe he's more in it for the history behind all of it rather than playing? Do I play a good majority of my games? Yes. Every single one? No. I jumped a guys ass locally that was just racing to attain a certain number of NES games each month. I called him out for just hoarding games and not being a "player." Then I quickly apologized because I realized "who the fuck am I to say what's the right or wrong way to collect?" I think Andrew has an amazing collection, regardless of what he might do with it. If you'd do a little research, you might find that he actually plays quite a few of them in a series he has called "Random Game of the Day" in which he goes to the shelf, selects a game at random, and basically does a let's play on it.  I actually admire the kid for being 20 and having an appreciation for the NES, which he has made clear several times is what started his collecting habit.

Sorry to rant but it seems like so many people think their way of collecting is "right because its the way I do it." Maybe step off your thrones now and again and examine different perspectives of what people enjoy about the hobby....
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 04:31:35 am »
So I mentioned it in the other thread, but the Andrew kid is 20 and lives in Canada. I find it funny the amount of flack this guy is taking for his collection. Who is anyone on this site to dictate the "correct" way to collect video games? So kimimi, its okay for you to have 3 copy variations of a game but this guy isn't allowed collect systems in color variations?

I actually have six variations of at least one game :D

Also, where did I say he wasn't allowed to collect colour variations? I genuinely couldn't find it in either thread.

ffxik

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 04:39:56 am »
So I mentioned it in the other thread, but the Andrew kid is 20 and lives in Canada. I find it funny the amount of flack this guy is taking for his collection. Who is anyone on this site to dictate the "correct" way to collect video games? So kimimi, its okay for you to have 3 copy variations of a game but this guy isn't allowed collect systems in color variations? Whose to say you even have to play your stuff, maybe he's more in it for the history behind all of it rather than playing? Do I play a good majority of my games? Yes. Every single one? No. I jumped a guys ass locally that was just racing to attain a certain number of NES games each month. I called him out for just hoarding games and not being a "player." Then I quickly apologized because I realized "who the fuck am I to say what's the right or wrong way to collect?" I think Andrew has an amazing collection, regardless of what he might do with it. If you'd do a little research, you might find that he actually plays quite a few of them in a series he has called "Random Game of the Day" in which he goes to the shelf, selects a game at random, and basically does a let's play on it.  I actually admire the kid for being 20 and having an appreciation for the NES, which he has made clear several times is what started his collecting habit.

Sorry to rant but it seems like so many people think their way of collecting is "right because its the way I do it." Maybe step off your thrones now and again and examine different perspectives of what people enjoy about the hobby....

Plus side is guys like this lose interest and then move on to other things.  Usually putting everything or most of, back on the market

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 04:58:01 am »
So I mentioned it in the other thread, but the Andrew kid is 20 and lives in Canada. I find it funny the amount of flack this guy is taking for his collection. Who is anyone on this site to dictate the "correct" way to collect video games? So kimimi, its okay for you to have 3 copy variations of a game but this guy isn't allowed collect systems in color variations?

I actually have six variations of at least one game :D

Also, where did I say he wasn't allowed to collect colour variations? I genuinely couldn't find it in either thread.

You didn't say that, I'm just giving an example of some of the stuff he does, and I'm assuming you don't agree with his collection habits based on this

"I prefer my collection to be honest, which is why mine doesn't look like his :)"

Not meaning to pick on you personally as LOTS of people in these forums had shit to say about him when those videos first made the rounds, but ^^that^^ line certainly erked me because it came off as a bit pompous. Is that really the reason yours doesn't look like his? If I had the available space (nice finished basement) and resources, mine would certainly be on par with his. My collection as is is far from what I feel will constitute a complete collection. But hey, maybe you're right, he's got too much filler and fluff and collecting 6 copies of one game is the way to go. Whatever floats YOUR boat, right?

So specifically, what is it that he does or doesn't do within his collection that makes you prefer yours over his, I'm just curious?
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.