Author Topic: Have you ever considered thinning out your collection?  (Read 4436 times)

Re: Have you ever considered thinning out your collection?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 11:27:17 pm »
Part of why I collect is to have a physical library of gaming history, both the good and the bad.  Will I ever play Airwolf or Sesame Street 123?  Probably not, but it's a part of NES history and something I collect partially to protect.  As long as I have the space for them, I'll buy practically anything from the 16-bit era and older.

EXACTLY! I feel the same way!
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 12:03:25 am »
Everyone thinks they have gold just because a Zelda cart is painted that way. 

LOL. Like two days ago. A copy of Ocarina of Time that someone placed in a spiderman cart sold for over $200 because it was the "rare" Zelda red cart. Certainly one of a kind.  ;D http://www.ebay.com/itm/171033204312

That is too funny! 12 bids? You'd think if 12 people were willing to bid that high, they would know what they were getting!
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

jobocan

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 07:53:25 am »
Everyone thinks they have gold just because a Zelda cart is painted that way. 

LOL. Like two days ago. A copy of Ocarina of Time that someone placed in a spiderman cart sold for over $200 because it was the "rare" Zelda red cart. Certainly one of a kind.  ;D http://www.ebay.com/itm/171033204312

That is too funny! 12 bids? You'd think if 12 people were willing to bid that high, they would know what they were getting!

You'd think so, but people are REALLY stupid. Tell them something is rare and give them something they can't find info on and they'll go crazy for it, no matter how obviously false it is.

Maybe I should "find" a black OoT or something.

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 12:01:30 pm »
I'm hanging on to the faint hope that the seller is just as clueless as the buyers.... :/

matt

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 04:58:41 pm »
I'm surprised Scott didn't mention me no here....

I've probably sold off about 1000 games over the past 10 years. I got to a point in life where I had some debt but yet I was surrounded by all this stuff. Being in debpt, I made the decision that I really didn't deserve to have it all so I started selling it all and digging my way out. I now really only focus on NES and SMS. Anything else I have is either because I can't find a buyer or I've simply not had time to list it for sale.

sin2beta

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 05:31:18 pm »
I'm hanging on to the faint hope that the seller is just as clueless as the buyers.... :/

I definitely agree that it is just a faint hope. I can't read the description without laughing.

In my whole life I have never seen a ocarina of time red cart ... Meaby a limited or exclusive or something I don't know ... I was walking on my local flea market like 5 years ago and I was like wow and bought it ... And when I got home I played it and yes it was ... And nobody had ever told me the history about it or what edition is it and it's still a mystery for me till today ... I had this game on a zip lock bag all this years ...

In my whole life I have never read a description like that... Maybe a scam or idiot or something I don't know... I was cruising ebay like 5 days ago and I was like wow and read it... And was the description comprehensible and no it was... And nobody had even known the real history about a Zelda cart, Spideman cart and a hairdryer and it's still a mystery for the buyer today....

Seriously, that seller is such a scammer.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jcalder8

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 11:08:06 pm »
Almost 2 years ago I was going to sell off a large chunk of my collection but my then GF now wife wouldn't let me. I started off with a list of 100 and by the time she had removed the ones she wanted to keep I was down to less than 20. At that point I decided it wasn't worth thinning it out because she would just make me keep it all anyway.

I do also enjoy having a large collection on display. I'm still amazed when I look at them all.

sin2beta

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 11:59:32 pm »
Resurrected Thread Alert!!!

So, I'm thinking about refocusing my collection even more. This is partly to get my thoughts out and partly to see if there are any thoughts.

I'm tempted to get rid of my XBox Collection. Maybe not completely. But I just don't play them much. I'm somewhere around 150 games that honestly, I don't play. I've played them. But once I'm done with them, they go on a shelf and I never touch them again. So, why have them? I play my Master System or Genesis pretty much daily. The Saturn and Dreamcast regularly. Then I play some emulated consoles regularly. But I rarely play modern games more than the initial experience. I play it, beat it, and then it collects dust.

I think a collector keeps games and does not sell them. A strictly gamer plays a game and then moves on. I'm a retro Sega collector. But a modern gamer. I collect Sega because I like the act of collecting. But I play XBox because I want to experience the story.

And it's not the XBox specifically that I don't go back to. I started off with a Wii collection. Had around 50 games, but got bored. The games I went back to were on the virtual console. I then started a Sony collection. But didn't get past a few games before getting bored. The XBox kept my interest more or less and is my preferred. But I just don't move past the initial experience of a game very much. I'm thinking about keeping the systems and then just buying a game when I want to play it and sell it once I'm done. Maybe buy a game a month and then selling it the next.

I think most of us know you don't really lose money this way. Hell, I think Turf has started realizing you can make money buying and selling games. Ebay doesn't put you out that much money if you don't rush. Just bypass gamestop and don't buy brand new (unless you plan on beating it in a weekend) and you'll be fine.

Gaming and collecting are different hobbies. I like playing all games. But I like collecting Sega.

So, I am really thinking about liquidating the Microsoft collection. Thanks for excusing my rambling.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 03:36:51 pm »
I did this once, trying to weed out stuff that didn't meet certain standards and... totally regretted nearly everthing I sold. Even "bad" games like Crimson Tears and Castlevania: Lament of Innocence just wound up back on my wishlist. So now, I basically just don't sell anything, even if I have like 3 copies on different platforms.

scott

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 05:34:04 pm »
I've sold and traded off plenty of games before. Mainly regretted doing so and ended up repurchasing. Im still doing so with PS2 and Xbox games. But luckily I was able to build a list from memory of the games I'd traded.

From time to time I debate on selling off a few things off on eBay. But since I've never sold anything on that site before, I quickly dismiss the idea due to it seeming intimidating.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 08:04:59 pm »
Resurrected Thread Alert!!!

So, I'm thinking about refocusing my collection even more. This is partly to get my thoughts out and partly to see if there are any thoughts.

I'm tempted to get rid of my XBox Collection. Maybe not completely. But I just don't play them much. I'm somewhere around 150 games that honestly, I don't play. I've played them. But once I'm done with them, they go on a shelf and I never touch them again. So, why have them? I play my Master System or Genesis pretty much daily. The Saturn and Dreamcast regularly. Then I play some emulated consoles regularly. But I rarely play modern games more than the initial experience. I play it, beat it, and then it collects dust.

I think a collector keeps games and does not sell them. A strictly gamer plays a game and then moves on. I'm a retro Sega collector. But a modern gamer. I collect Sega because I like the act of collecting. But I play XBox because I want to experience the story.

And it's not the XBox specifically that I don't go back to. I started off with a Wii collection. Had around 50 games, but got bored. The games I went back to were on the virtual console. I then started a Sony collection. But didn't get past a few games before getting bored. The XBox kept my interest more or less and is my preferred. But I just don't move past the initial experience of a game very much. I'm thinking about keeping the systems and then just buying a game when I want to play it and sell it once I'm done. Maybe buy a game a month and then selling it the next.

I think most of us know you don't really lose money this way. Hell, I think Turf has started realizing you can make money buying and selling games. Ebay doesn't put you out that much money if you don't rush. Just bypass gamestop and don't buy brand new (unless you plan on beating it in a weekend) and you'll be fine.

Gaming and collecting are different hobbies. I like playing all games. But I like collecting Sega.

So, I am really thinking about liquidating the Microsoft collection. Thanks for excusing my rambling.
Dibs on your collection! :P

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 06:16:41 am »
It's funny, this has happened to me 3 times now actually....  I stopped collecting when I was 16 only to realize I wanted to again when I was 18....  Then at 21, life got rough and I sold off everything for about 4.5 grand....  Now I'm 28 and I've been selling things again to pay for my mother's house bills while she's in the hospital....  I feel like this is a trend that will repeat itself a few more times, ha ha!