Author Topic: HOCKEY???  (Read 7989 times)

sin2beta

Re: HOCKEY???
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2013, 10:36:36 pm »
Oh and I have to add that the game between Pittsburgh and Colorado was an excellent and shocking game!  I really thought Crosby would pull that game off but Colorado is the real deal  :)
its about time we got back to being a good team.
was poor while we rebuilt but the kids are now coming good.

I feel the same way. Between Manning and Roy, the Denver sports scene is looking good. It just hurts (yet feels kinda right) that our one loss is the the Red Wings. God I hate the Red Wings.

Looking forward to playing Anaheim again...

I am very shocked tho' that Colorado passed up on Seth Jones.  McKinnon seems to be playing very well, but Seth has shined with Shea Weber in Nashville.  @Sin, we should go to a game together sometime?  ;)

Where do you live?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2013, 09:23:16 am »
because that's the point of sports.  its competition.  the best team should win.

This.  I agree that the point of sports = competition -AND- by default; competing = a winner & a loser.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

90snostalga

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 06:59:39 pm »
because that's the point of sports.  its competition.  the best team should win.

This.  I agree that the point of sports = competition -AND- by default; competing = a winner & a loser.

You are good in my book   8)

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 08:33:30 pm »

and you will have a winner at the end of the season.
that is the competition. it does not have to be every game.

90snostalga

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 04:04:57 am »
Anyone think NHL will ever be a top 3 sport in the States?

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 05:30:46 am »

nope
it will never replace basketball baseball or football
and soccer is growing here at the moment and will move above hockey.
also UFC is probably above hockey too

90snostalga

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 08:11:31 pm »

nope

UFC???  I don't know about UFC or soccer but I know that NBC's ratings have increased a lot, and baseball's ratings go down ever year in America so I would think one day, hockey would slowly rise but maybe not

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 10:58:55 pm »

nope

UFC???  I don't know about UFC or soccer but I know that NBC's ratings have increased a lot, and baseball's ratings go down ever year in America so I would think one day, hockey would slowly rise but maybe not

ufc is the fastest growing sport in the world.
hockey will not get big until it is shown on standard tv

90snostalga

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 06:48:53 pm »
I cannot believe the Rangers gave Lundvquist (yea I prob spelled it wrong) a 59.5 million dollar 7 year contract extension!   Am I the only one who thinks thats bizarre?  He is not as great as he once was, and will he really be playing for another 7 years?  Crazy crazy.

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2013, 09:25:23 am »

nope

ufc is the fastest growing sport in the world.
hockey will not get big until it is shown on standard tv

Before the 94-95 lockout the NHL was positioning perfectly to start pulling ahead of the NBA. I was big into hockey at that time and the momentum literally stopped overnight.

As a side note - Yzerman is playing in the Winter Classic alumni game which is awesome. I won't be able to make the game but we are going on the 29th for the OHL double header.

90snostalga

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 10:06:43 am »
What happened after 94-95 for the NHL to drop?  What do you see for the future of the NHL in America?

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2013, 02:00:27 pm »
General interest just plummeted which resulted in news media and networks dropping coverage. This was a time when NHL was broadcast national on Fox - which helped to drive popularity even though non-playoff ratings were poor. Honestly it was probably worse after the 04-05 lockout since during that time we missing over 1000 games.

It's hard to see outside of my Michigan bubble because hockey is a big deal here. Interest has grown amounts my friends dramatically over the past few years. I personally watch a lot of hockey and hit up an OHL game at least once a month.

90snostalga

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2013, 05:26:19 pm »
General interest just plummeted which resulted in news media and networks dropping coverage. This was a time when NHL was broadcast national on Fox - which helped to drive popularity even though non-playoff ratings were poor. Honestly it was probably worse after the 04-05 lockout since during that time we missing over 1000 games.

It's hard to see outside of my Michigan bubble because hockey is a big deal here. Interest has grown amounts my friends dramatically over the past few years. I personally watch a lot of hockey and hit up an OHL game at least once a month.

I just began watching it over the  last few seasons and it is now my number 1 sport over the NFL.  I love it!  It does seem to be getting more popular with tv viewers and now they have special programs on nbc sports network other than the games and they have a show coming to HBO I believe this week or next week.  And more and more American players are getting into the league each season which helps its growth I believe.  I wish I could live up north just to have the beauty of being in a hockey town. 

I noticed those specific markets have dedicated and large fan bases.  Detroit, we seen how large Chicago's fan base is from last seasons stanley cup and the parade afterwards.  Southern california has a dedicated market, I heard Minnesota is a hockey town too.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:28:18 pm by 90snostalga »

tripredacus

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2013, 03:08:46 pm »
Sports were perceived differently in the 90s. Remember that baseball had a strike around the same time and attendence plummetted with that too. It wasn't until McGwire and Sosa were heating up the NL home run record race did the fans end up coming back. Hockey didn't have anything super exciting happen after 94-95 to bring the crowds back.

90snostalga

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2013, 03:49:12 pm »
Sports were perceived differently in the 90s. Remember that baseball had a strike around the same time and attendence plummetted with that too. It wasn't until McGwire and Sosa were heating up the NL home run record race did the fans end up coming back. Hockey didn't have anything super exciting happen after 94-95 to bring the crowds back.

Aww man!  I remember as a kid, dying to watch a cubs game on WGN or McGuire just to see who would hit the most home runs that day.  It was so entertaining until later I realized it was stereoids   :-[    I guess stereoids or any type of gimmik will not work with hockey due to the nature of the game.  I also remember my most watched sport in the 90s was Michael Jordan and the championship bulls!  I thought the NBA fell off after he retired.  But I still watch and love the NHL even if I am the only one in my city who does  ;)