Author Topic: Sega  (Read 3156 times)

patrickmeansly

Sega
« on: May 13, 2013, 06:30:10 pm »
sin2beta got me thinking about this one based on his passion for sega.  I personally fell in love with Dreamcast when I played Shen Mue, and the resident evil games with the VMU display for health.  I love the 8 bit Sega Master System, and of course we all love the Genesis.  Based on everyones personally experience with consoles and games, if Sega came out with a console by the end of 2013, would you buy it?????
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:11:47 pm by exonerator »

patrickmeansly

Re: SEGA!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:36:10 pm »
And does anyone have their own version or know what truly happened to the Dreamcast in America???  I heard in Japan, they still were coming out with games up until 2006 or '07.  In europe, I heard they were still coming out 2 years after we stop getting them.  So What happened??  I have heard rumors of the console was cheap and broke too easily, when people figured out you can burn the games, they lost money on game sells, I heard they could not be in competition with the ps2, I also read an article from an x employee of Sega, that said they were fine but the CEO at that time, wanted to get out of consoles, because it was cheaper to just make the games.  Too many rumors.  It was an excellent system.  Anyone know the truth???

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:57:30 pm »
From what I know of the CEO making the decision is that Peter Moore got the decision. From wikipedia:

Moore has been proud of the success of the Dreamcast game console and the satisfaction that owners still express today; including fans of the Shenmue game franchise, which Moore describes as the most vocal fan base during his career at Sega. Moore disclosed to GamingSteve.com that at a security checkpoint at Chicago O'Hare International Airport, a TSA security agent said "I don't need to see your passport. You're the asshole that gave away Shenmue to Xbox."[5] However, Moore has admitted to being responsible for the discontinuation of the Dreamcast. He said:
"We had a tremendous 18 months. Dreamcast was on fire - we really thought that we could do it. But then we had a target from Japan that said we had to make x hundreds of millions of dollars by the holiday season and shift x millions of units of hardware, otherwise we just couldn't sustain the business. So on January 31st 2001 we said Sega is leaving hardware. We were selling 50,000 units a day, then 60,000, then 100,000, but it was just not going to be enough to get the critical mass to take on the launch of PS2. Somehow I got to make that call, not the Japanese. I had to fire a lot of people; it was not a pleasant day."[6]

Anyways, would I buy a new SEGA console. I would. But I honestly would not expect it to be good. SEGA only exists in name only. All their superstars are now gone. I feel the last thing SEGA did as SEGA was SegaGaGa. They had a few holdover games come out on the next gen. But SEGA is gone. If they made another system it would be their version of the Atari Jaguar.

Now, I will do a complete 180, and say I would love for SEGA to make a new console. I just don't want a traditional console. What I would like is a dreamcast that can download  classic games. But most importantly, I would like a dreamcast dev kit made open and a SegaNet storefront. Basically, I want SEGA to sell dreamcasts with an SDK and allow the homebrew scene to go wild. Think XBLA with no restrictions. The dreamcast has a very healthy homebrew scene. SEGA should encourage this and set up a store front. I honestly hope this is what the SEGA Spectrum is. However, I'm sure it is not.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:01:31 pm »
Hell yeah I would buy one. But the chances of that actually happening are slim to none.

soera

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:32:20 pm »
I agree with Sin2beta. While I would love to see one, it would be destined to fail in the general market. Every Sega fan would buy one, most gaming fans would buy one ... but general gamers and casual players/parents of kids would probably not bother. Hell, the Wii U isnt even getting any love from most of the last mentioned set of buyers and its Nintendo made (although not very well advertised).

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:06:25 pm »
I don't have a lot of money to blow on systems(especially if they are new) but I would if the specs were good... after price came down I defiantly would. 
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:45:43 pm »
I agree with Sin2beta. While I would love to see one, it would be destined to fail in the general market. Every Sega fan would buy one, most gaming fans would buy one ... but general gamers and casual players/parents of kids would probably not bother. Hell, the Wii U isnt even getting any love from most of the last mentioned set of buyers and its Nintendo made (although not very well advertised).

In today's mass-market, though, it seems everyone follows anything that gets a big following. If all the classic gamers and Sega fans did run out and buy one day one, which many likely would, it would cause a huge buzz and all the sheep would come running, as well.

I think Sega might have a shot if they did it. Unfortunately, anyone following Sega knows that they likely won't take that kind of chance, at least for the forseeable future.

patrickmeansly

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 12:31:25 am »
Yea i no its not likely.  I just always wished for another Sega console.  I probably play more Sega than Nintendo on retro systems.  @ slothingxpig, please dont tell me you look like the guy in your picture??   :D

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:55:54 pm »
I'm not too keen on the current gen of consoles, or even the next gen. The only reason why I bought a PS2 was because it could play DVDs and was cheaper than buying a DVD player at the time. Same thing with a PS3 except for BluRay. I'm not a fan of DLC and very few games actually interest me. The reason behind this I think is because most games nowadays are not superior to PC games, and a lot even have PC versions. My computer is capable of playing these games. I also do not care much for digital media games, although I will admit that DLC is tough to get away from.

So if Sega released a new console, it would need to fit some sort of purpose in my life other than being a gaming platform. I still have my PC, my Playstations and my old consoles to keep me busy with games for the forseeable future.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 07:12:33 pm »
I Honestly had no intention of buying any of the next gen consoles, however if SEGA were to announce a new console they would have my money on release day. What I really want from them (even though I know it will NEVER happen) is for them to announce a brand new 16-bit console with network connectivity. It would be awesome to see developers coming out with original stuff in 16-bit cartridge format. I can dream right!?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 07:57:58 pm »
I Honestly had no intention of buying any of the next gen consoles, however if SEGA were to announce a new console they would have my money on release day. What I really want from them (even though I know it will NEVER happen) is for them to announce a brand new 16-bit console with network connectivity. It would be awesome to see developers coming out with original stuff in 16-bit cartridge format. I can dream right!?

Why settle for 16-bit? Why not make a 32-bit 2D powerhouse like the Saturn?

If anyone has the know-how, there always is Kickstarter.

brunauss

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:37 pm »
If they created a console just as ground breaking as the Dreamcast, before my machine came out. Maybe.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 11:35:34 pm »
If they created a console just as ground breaking as the Dreamcast, before my machine came out. Maybe.

What kind of machine are you making?

patrickmeansly

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 01:21:53 am »

Why settle for 16-bit? Why not make a 32-bit 2D powerhouse like the Saturn?

If anyone has the know-how, there always is Kickstarter.

16 or 32 bit???  Sega may could come out with a ps3 type of graphics system??? 

brunauss

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 05:21:08 am »

What kind of machine are you making?

A completely new computer platform that is first and foremost a console. Recent tinkering with its core concepts and design have revealed there is tons of room to make it into  something that is so much more. A machine that can finally tear down the boundaries that separate the individual hardware platforms out there. One machine that can do it all. Its simply up to the user how to specialize its purpose via the software and not hassle with hardware upgrades or modifications. Its simply a project that is kept very quiet, because of the negative impact this machine would have on select controlling computer company's business.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer