Author Topic: VGConnect June 2013: Earthworm Jim  (Read 6328 times)

thomascozine

Re: VGConnect June 2013: Earthworm Jim
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 11:39:16 pm »
I'll try this weekend to record my playthrough. Can't say I'll do to well after level 7 or 8. I've always sucked on "Down The Tubes" and end up wasting my continues.

scott

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »
Got me a copy on SNES! Gonna go hop on it after I do last month's Stats!

Also, I'm gonna move this to the Classic Games board. Both so it doesn't get buried and since it's retro. :)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 10:53:12 pm »
Maybe this is old news, but I'm excited about it for ewj on the computer.  I made my saved game path a dropbox folder, so that it is synced wherever I have time to play.  That makes it much more encouraging to pick up and play whenever.

scott

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 11:23:36 pm »
Ugh I suck so hard at this game. The trash can boss smoked me like 5 times, then the last time I killed him in less than 30 seconds? Then I got to the crane guy just after him and it was Game Over already. haha

Also, that's a super clever use of dropbox. I wouldn't have ever thought to do that.

jobocan

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 01:36:13 am »
I have the PSN version of this (Earthworm Jim HD), so I decided to play through it (instead of the Genesis version which I also have). I don't think it has much different from the old versions other than the visuals and it has the Suitless Jim levels from the Sega CD version of the game. And I think the "normal" difficulty I played on is easier than the SNES/Genesis versions (should've played the "original" difficulty I guess). It also has hints for every boss if you press select.

One thing I'll say that I'm sure everyone thinks the same I do: I hate For Pete's Sake... such a BAD level.
Otherwise I really like most of this game. The humor is perfect (like that EPIC boss in the water level) with all the weird naming of everything, the levels are fun, the music is great, it has a great ending, and it's pretty hard.
Not a fan of having an Andy Asteroids level between each level, but I guess it's a continue opportunity every time if you're good enough at them. There are a few annoying things, like those enemies that kill you in one shot in Buttville, but it's a matter of learning how to deal with them.

Favorite music: What the Heck!

Relevant links - improvised ragtime versions of some of the game's tunes (not his best stuff, but still nice... one of his best is his improv of the Nyan Cat tune... like, truly epic, once you get through the first minute or 2):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIYYO9x51eQ (music from the secret level that I ahve no idea how to get to)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xshVLWtf6vg (that one tune that you hear way too much in the game :P)

Note 1: This figurine is quite nice, I got it and really like it even if it's not terribly poseable (it's to keep the legs the same size as in the games) - http://www.amazon.com/Mezco-Toyz-Earthworm-Action-Figure/dp/B0073HNOEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370150424&sr=8-1&keywords=earthworm+jim
Note 2: That signed Sega CD version is badass, awesome stuff.

Whoa Nelly!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 10:03:51 am »
When I was a teenager, I started saying "Groovy" all the time and couldn't figure out why.

scott

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 07:09:01 pm »
Well, I got to Down the Tubes. What the Heck only took 2 tries to get through, and I managed to only die twice on the boss.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 09:39:41 pm »
I beat Major Mucus today. Then, I had to quit. Either I'm better at this than I used to be, or the XBLA version is kiddie-fied.

I posted this in the wrong spot earlier.  So that isn't déjà vu. I'm just an idiot.

foxhack

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 10:13:26 pm »
I can't get my 360 Pad to work with DOSBox, so I had to improvise an XPadder config file. The game is not emulated, it's some sort of port created by a company called Rainbow Arts. It looks like the Sega CD version, only... not? It's hard to explain.

I have no idea what to expect of this, but I'll keep folks posted.

Oh yeah, this version has passwords. Do any of the other versions have those?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:01 pm »
I've got a level select (if i input the right buttons)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:46:29 pm by redblaze57 »

scott

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:46 pm »
Pretty sure the SNES version has to be played in one sitting. I haven't seen a password or level select.

foxhack

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 10:51:02 pm »
I completely forgot that I have a -second- version of this for PCs. It doesn't work on Windows 7 so I can't really play it anymore but it had a really neat audio CD soundtrack. :P

jcalder8

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 12:25:36 am »
I'll give it another play for the sake of the community but I'm terrible at it so I'll be shocked if I make it past the 2nd level

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 12:07:04 pm »
im going to play this next week. i cant wait :) ive not beat this game since i was a kid. should bring back some great memories

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 02:09:54 pm »
I made it to the second (third?) level so far.  What the heck?

It's tuff.  The hardest part so far for me was the first level miniboss.  That tire guy.  Oof.