Author Topic: VGConnect June 2013: Earthworm Jim  (Read 6335 times)

thomascozine

Re: VGConnect June 2013: Earthworm Jim
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 03:28:57 pm »
Finally got my playthrough up. This was, honestly, the best I could do.

sin2beta

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 05:44:13 pm »
Yeah! Finally got internet at my new apartment. I picked up the game on XBLA and played the normal setting. After playing through it, I definitely think it is easier than the GEN/SNES versions. I am going to check out the new town and see if I can find a Genesis copy.

I did beat EWJ for the first time yesterday though. I love the ending! I honestly was not expecting that.

I will have plenty to say later today I'm sure.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jobocan

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 07:31:08 pm »

Sucks that Evil the Cat beat you up so much, up until then it was going pretty well. When I fight him I just shoot constantly and rotate the d-pad, that works surprisingly well (though it's not foolproof).
I'll note that (at least in the PS3 version) you can boost in the asteroid levels and you have a tackle move in the Snot battle.

thomascozine

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »

Sucks that Evil the Cat beat you up so much, up until then it was going pretty well. When I fight him I just shoot constantly and rotate the d-pad, that works surprisingly well (though it's not foolproof).
I'll note that (at least in the PS3 version) you can boost in the asteroid levels and you have a tackle move in the Snot battle.
I am thinking about doing it again. Perhaps, instead, the SNES version. Just to at least see what, if anything, is different between them. It is a game worth seeing though to the end. It's just so damn hard.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did lessen the difficulty in certain ways for the HD versions. Good to know.

sin2beta

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 10:57:36 pm »
It wouldn't surprise me if they did lessen the difficulty in certain ways for the HD versions. Good to know.

Next for me is the genesis version. Man if the HD version is less difficult, I hate to see Buttville on the Genny. The level starts off with a descent section that appears to be where vvvvvv got it's inspiration from.

Oh, and the level "For Pete's Sake".... I LOVE it. I really really do. That and Buttville are my favorites. Pete just looks so damn happy. At least until he gets eaten or falls.

Buttville has my favorite music. I submitted it for the top 100 video game themes thread.

jobocan

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 11:07:23 pm »
Oh, and the level "For Pete's Sake".... I LOVE it. I really really do. That and Buttville are my favorites. Pete just looks so damn happy. At least until he gets eaten or falls.

I totally love Buttville even though it's pretty hard (those one-hit-kill dudes... I have no idea how to deal with them, I just pass by and hope not to die), but For Pete's Sake is just annoying.
If you mess up a lot it does become massively annoying to constantly be sent back, but sometimes it feels like the hit detection just doesn't do what you want and Pete just falls in holes when you don't feel he should

sin2beta

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 12:04:29 am »
I totally love Buttville even though it's pretty hard (those one-hit-kill dudes... I have no idea how to deal with them, I just pass by and hope not to die),

You whip them. shooting does nothing but the whip takes them out quick.

sin2beta

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 12:16:20 am »

Based on the conversation (EDIT: Man, I really want this shirt...):

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:18:59 am by sin2beta »

thomascozine

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 01:27:43 am »
Based on the conversation (EDIT: Man, I really want this shirt...):

:o Oh my God I want that shirt! HAHA!

scott

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:18 pm »
Ugh. Level 5 feels so annoyingly long.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 02:03:14 pm »
So, I recently won an ebay auction for the game gear earthworm jim. I finally got it for a much better amount than $12 shipped most people want. So, I'm excited to try this out.

I also did some digging and found a fan site called rocketworm. Things I found interesting.

- Employee working on game named Andy Astor (Andy Asteroids anyone?)

- There is some concept art that was placed on the HD versions of EWJ. They are done in a comic panel. I thought it was just weird extras that had no real significance. But they predate the game. I don't know if the special edition of PC or SEGACD had this either? http://rocketworm.com/information/original-ewj-games.html

foxhack

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 03:39:12 pm »
*gives up*

The PC port that GOG sells has HORRIBLE controls for some godforsaken reason. You know that bit in What The Heck where you have to run on top of some glowing green crystals to proceed? Well, Jim kept SLIPPING off the damn things. I spent ten minutes trying to get past the first one.

And then I got to the second lawyer.

I ragequit soon after. The game NEVER gave me this much trouble in consoles.

sin2beta

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 03:42:43 pm »
*gives up*

The PC port that GOG sells has HORRIBLE controls for some godforsaken reason. You know that bit in What The Heck where you have to run on top of some glowing green crystals to proceed? Well, Jim kept SLIPPING off the damn things. I spent ten minutes trying to get past the first one.

And then I got to the second lawyer.

I ragequit soon after. The game NEVER gave me this much trouble in consoles.

I remembered the green gems being easier to run on as well. I have the XBLA version, I slipped a lot, but it sounds like it controls better than the PC version.

scott

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 03:53:03 pm »
I had a few problems with slipping on the SNES version. Or running off it because the game didn't register that I was standing on the thing.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

thomascozine

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 04:04:39 pm »
You can see, at about 14:00, I had some issues with the green gems in my playthrough on the Genesis. Wonder if I'll have the same issue on the SNES?