Author Topic: Buy It / Don't Buy It?  (Read 3861 times)

desocietas

Buy It / Don't Buy It?
« on: September 23, 2011, 01:23:13 pm »
A little thread to help me (and anyone else!) decide whether to purchase something or not at the price listed:

Fable II (360), pre-owned (will only buy if CIB) - $4.99 @ Gamestop
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:14:15 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

Re: Buy It / Don't Buy It? (or Should We Start Rating Games?)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »
I'd like a rating system, maybe a little 5 star vote or something. The tough part is all the variations will be rated differently, unless there is a way to link them.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:19:21 pm »
I've never played it but several of my friends did and they loved it. I've actually never played any of the Fable games. I'd say for $5.00 buy it!

I would also like to see a rating system.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:29:41 pm »
I'd say for $5.00 buy it!

Thanks!  I'll swing by the game shop after work today :)  I know... for $5, it's like "why not?"  I don't have any of the others, and never really got to play much of the original (which goes for $15 used at Gamestop!).

Sometimes, all you need is a little urging from your peers.. XD
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:33:39 pm »
I'd like a rating system, maybe a little 5 star vote or something. The tough part is all the variations will be rated differently, unless there is a way to link them.

Good point.  I wonder if the site will ever have a little something added to each item record... like a "see also" or "related" list of links to other variations, sequels, and such.

Also, different ratings on different variations might be good for some things, like collector's editions, "director's cut," game of the year editions, etc. but definitely useless for the older games with variations like 3 or 5 screw.  Hmmmm.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 03:47:11 pm »
I wonder if the site will ever have a little something added to each item record... like a "see also" or "related" list of links to other variations, sequels, and such.

That way you can see all the variations listed on a game's page.

Also, different ratings on different variations might be good for some things, like collector's editions, "director's cut," game of the year editions, etc. but definitely useless for the older games with variations like 3 or 5 screw.  Hmmmm.

Exactly, what's different about a game with a label variation? nothing at all, ha. So they should be the same score. But something like the Bioshock 2 Collectors Edition could use a different rating because of it's awesome goodies.

amauriel

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:26:17 pm »
On the Fable II note, I loved it. I worked my way up until I owned so much property that everyone called me "Queen". Spent HOURS on that game.  For $5 I'd say great deal, I think I paid $40 and got my money's worth.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:45:01 pm »
Hah, this is going on the recently purchased thread, too:

I didn't see it initially on the racks, but the Gamestop guys seemed to sense exactly what I wanted and pulled a pre-owned copy from the back (with case, box art, manual, and disc).  Service!

Also, thanks for the advice, @amauriel and @darko!  I'm looking forward to this one (whenever I get around to playing it). Think I'll need to play through the first one at all to appreciate the sequel?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 05:55:57 pm »
I "bought" Fable II on Xbox Live's Games On Demand. Someone screwed up and had the game listed as Free. I was one of the ones to take advantage of it. I loved the original Fable, but I've not really sunk my teeth into Fable II. I've done a lot of crafting mini-games and have an annoying wife and a baby. ha

amauriel

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 10:40:51 pm »
I loved it and I've never played the first Fable. However, I HATED Fable III, the graphics were so jaggity/fragmented I gave up about 2 hours into it. I wonder if they ever patched that...
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 01:45:35 am »
I loved it and I've never played the first Fable. However, I HATED Fable III, the graphics were so jaggity/fragmented I gave up about 2 hours into it. I wonder if they ever patched that...

good to know! I almost got fable iii from TRU when they mispriced it for $15... they rescinded the order, but i figured it wasn't much of a loss, really.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:36:49 pm »
Looks like Scott Pilgrim will be 400 points for next week's XBLA sale... I heard it's brutally difficult (possibly buggy)... Any thoughts?
Buy it/don't buy it?

My account's actually on hold right now, too, so I wonder if I'd be able to buy it even if I wanted to.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 04:24:33 pm »
Your account is on hold?

It's not hard, once you level up. Fully leveled I can blow through the game in roughly an hour. It's a really fun game, I only had it freeze up a couple times, and they fixed the major Store bug that was around when the game launched.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 04:59:56 pm »
It's not hard, once you level up. Fully leveled I can blow through the game in roughly an hour. It's a really fun game, I only had it freeze up a couple times, and they fixed the major Store bug that was around when the game launched.

Ok, good to know.  I really enjoyed the comics (haven't watched the movie yet :\) and am interested in how the game plays.  I'll see if I can call them to buy the game during the sale!

Your account is on hold?

Yeah, it sucks... I loaded 4000 points on my account a few weeks ago, and of course about a week later 3200 or so suddenly disappears.  After a bit of hunting on the terrible Microsoft/XBOX site, I found that someone used the points to buy Sims 3.  Still not sure how, since you can't download it to the Xbox as far as I can tell.

Customer support was really pleasant and said they should be able to refund me, but it'll require that my account be on hold until the investigation is complete (up to a month, blegh!).  So anything that requires me to log in, I can't do.

The most annoying part is that there's a competition for highest score going on for the Paranormal table on PFX2, and I can't participate (with my gamertag)!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »
Oh that is laaaame. At least they are working on getting you fixed up.

Also, the only other thing that could be a turn off for Scott Pilgrim is the lack of online multiplayer, Its local only.