Author Topic: The best NES repair guide on youtube!!!  (Read 1908 times)

The best NES repair guide on youtube!!!
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:55:49 pm »
I feel this is the best NES repair guide on Youtube, it covers everyting from Boiling the Pin connector, Clipping the lock out chip to end flashing, and a very effective cleaning method. Let me know what you guys think of it.

http://retrogamersociety.com/1-nintendo-3-cups-a-nes-001-how-to-repair-guide-completely-free/

foxhack

Re: The best NES repair guide on youtube!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:01:37 pm »
This is the second thread you start to promote an external site.

I'm not sure I like that.

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:18:05 pm »
Oh, at first I thought the DC stood for dreamcast... but it's your initials. I seem to get forum names wrong a lot.

I think the instructions and the quality are pretty good. It seems the boiling is just a method of deep cleaning. Basically just allowing the water to move and dissolve the grime. Am I wrong in this? It might be beneficial to describe what it fixes and knowing that if the pins are bent, a new connector or a bit more work might be needed. Or at least knowing that this is in fact just a deep cleaning.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:24:09 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:28:17 pm »

I think the instructions and the quality are pretty good. It seems the boiling is just a method of deep cleaning. Basically just allowing the water to move and dissolve the grime. Am I wrong in this? It might be beneficial to describe what it fixes and knowing that if the pins are bent, a new connector or a bit more work might be needed. Or at least knowing that this is in fact just a deep cleaning.

I'm not 100% on this but I think the heat actually tightens the pins as well making them more like they were when they were new.

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:44:38 pm »

I'm not 100% on this but I think the heat actually tightens the pins as well making them more like they were when they were new.

That's what I was thinking at first. But I couldn't see how the heat would bend the pins back. Especially to a correct tension. Plus, most broke systems are really just dirty. My suspicion is that the repair is a 72-pin connector specific version of the sink wash and bake technique for electronics. But I'm not 100% either.

But either way, I like your video. I definitely like seeing the addition of repair guides to youtube and your work promoting RGS. But to keep admins happy, you might post this stuff in the VGC General Anonymous thread. I for one like seeing updates of new RGS videos and unless if I'm mistaken the anonymous thread is a great place for that!  :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:48:05 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 11:50:03 pm »
I'll try and figure out what that is, if I post any more videos in the future....

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 11:54:12 pm »
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1942.0.html

When I voice my objections to you making threads solely to promote your stuff, I speak for myself, not for the entire admin team.

We've had cases where people just sign up to do drive-by promoting of their stuff and then vanish. We don't mind posts like these, but since you don't post elsewhere, it feels a bit suspicious.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 12:46:01 am »

When I voice my objections to you making threads solely to promote your stuff, I speak for myself, not for the entire admin team.

We've had cases where people just sign up to do drive-by promoting of their stuff and then vanish. We don't mind posts like these, but since you don't post elsewhere, it feels a bit suspicious.

I don't know if you can see when I joined, but I have actually been a member for 2 years now. I use this site to keep detailed notes on my collection for Hunting purposes... I understand your concerns, but promise you that is not the case.

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 02:36:19 am »

I don't know if you can see when I joined, but I have actually been a member for 2 years now. I use this site to keep detailed notes on my collection for Hunting purposes... I understand your concerns, but promise you that is not the case.

That info is visible to everybody I think.  Click your name and the time stamps prove it in your profile dude.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 08:50:12 am »

Okay, okay. I'm sorry.

I didn't mean to be a jerk about it.

scott

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 09:14:26 am »
Ok. I've not been around a lot lately, cause I've been running around like crazy for work.  But I'm going to drop in and mention something.

While ago, Darko asked me if it would be ok to promote Retro Gaming Society and SUPER! Bit Con. I replied with the following:

And go ahead and pimp the RGS group all you want. Since we are mainly a collection tracking site, I don't see any real way it would equal competition. Hell, if you wanted you could talk to Matt about putting an ad up on the main page of the site too.

I'll also mention, I was planning on making the trip to SUPER! Bit Con when it launches next year and have been in the process of figuring out if we should sponsor or rent a table and run demos. As far as I'm concerned it's a case of I scratch your back, you scratch mine. Darko tells a lot of people about VGC and the RGS has a lot of members, the more the word spreads the better for both of us.

I don't see a problem with Darko posting about the growth of RGS and which cities/ regions they are in. I'm fine with posts showing off cool stuff their members are doing, be it collection videos or how-tos. As long as it doesn't get turned into Spamming the forum with them.

Also, I'm moving this thread to the hardware and tech forum.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread