Author Topic: What Next Gen Games Are You Getting  (Read 3892 times)

Re: What Next Gen Games Are You Getting
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 11:56:30 pm »
So the wii U won't fail? :) Is it REALLY failing?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

scott

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 08:50:03 am »
It could be worse. The Wii U could have it as bad as the PS Vita, which I never hear anything about, ever, and has yet to show me a game I "had to own" on it.

If I wasn't planning on going PS4 in November, I'd be saving up for a Wii U. Hell, I'll prolly pick up X and a few other Wii U games that interest me as they come out. Just so I don't have to search them out down the road.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

blipcs76

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 09:41:16 am »
I'm a HUGE Nintendo fan, but they seem to be without direction at the moment.  After the massive success of the Wii, they find themselves in the situation where they've exhausted the novelty of their innovations.  While millions bought a Wii, it flopped with core gamers.  Those casual Wii owners see it collecting dust and have no interest in buying a Wii U, if they even know it's more than a tablet controller for their Wii.  Nintendo has done a flat out horrible job marketing the Wii U.

I agree it's going to have a short life span due to being underpowered and built on PowerPC architecture that everyone else has left behind and I see third-party support being really poor for the WiiU's lifespan, unless they can turn things around with some killer first-party games. Pikmin, Mario and DK Country are great, but it's not gonna move significant amounts of units until Mario Kart and Smash Bros come out next year.  New Zelda and Metroid titles are greatly needed.  A brand new core IP is desperately needed to show Nintendo isn't only living in the past.  This is also why I think Nintendo needs to use its cash to buy up one or two developers to assure more exclusive first-party games are developed for the WiiU.  It sure feels like Western devs have already abandoned it.   They can change their mind, but if they start on a project now we won't get to play it until 2-3 years from now.

sin2beta

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »
I also desperately think Nintendo needs to branch out on their audience. This is hardly a new idea. ANd I think they are on the right track with Platinum games. The problem is that Platinum games did not sell particularly well on the PS3 or 360. I fear they will do horribly on the Wii. Part of me like the move. Part of me remembers they did this once with MadWorld. It did not turn out well.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 09:09:14 pm »
I think Nintendo will be fine. GameCube started off slow, and look at all the great titles it ended up with. Nintendo has always been about quality over quantity. If they stick to that, then people will see it and come over.

darko

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 11:59:58 pm »
I just don't see it. I think the Wii U 3rd party stuff is going to die off extremely quickly. Nintendo doesn't need a new IP, they need 1/quarter for the next several years. The Wii U is STILL underpowered and most people who have given up on Nintendo in the console world have likely plunged head first into the PS3/360 and are more than likely going to spend their money upgrading to new systems from Sony and MS. I realize that Nintendo has pulled things off in the past, but I don't think it's going to happen this time around.

The Wii U is already cheaper than the competition, is readily available for purchase, and is still not doing well. While the Wii sold well, it didn't generate enough content to keep most hardcore Nintendo fans happy (nor developers), and it definitely didn't generate enough interest in their target audience (casual gamers) past the initial purchase (give or take 2-3 party games)...it's just not working for them. I think their model is flawed and they are attempting to ride a nostalgia wave that ended 5-10 years ago for most gamers.

I hope I'm wrong for N's sake, I love the company...I just can't justify a purchase of a Wii U. I think there are many, many consumers in my situation out there.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 08:35:38 pm »
I also desperately think Nintendo needs to branch out on their audience. This is hardly a new idea. ANd I think they are on the right track with Platinum games. The problem is that Platinum games did not sell particularly well on the PS3 or 360. I fear they will do horribly on the Wii. Part of me like the move. Part of me remembers they did this once with MadWorld. It did not turn out well.

People also do not know that Japan focuses on the group rather than Individuals like in America. Plus the Wii has the equivalent to AO games in Japan, just not here :(. And there kids franchises are also not so kid friendly, so they censor it to make it appropriate for younger audiences so they don't piss off parents.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Pikachu2_082.jpg
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Pikachu2_083.jpg
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 08:37:43 pm »
I just don't see it. I think the Wii U 3rd party stuff is going to die off extremely quickly. Nintendo doesn't need a new IP, they need 1/quarter for the next several years. The Wii U is STILL underpowered and most people who have given up on Nintendo in the console world have likely plunged head first into the PS3/360 and are more than likely going to spend their money upgrading to new systems from Sony and MS. I realize that Nintendo has pulled things off in the past, but I don't think it's going to happen this time around.

The Wii U is already cheaper than the competition, is readily available for purchase, and is still not doing well. While the Wii sold well, it didn't generate enough content to keep most hardcore Nintendo fans happy (nor developers), and it definitely didn't generate enough interest in their target audience (casual gamers) past the initial purchase (give or take 2-3 party games)...it's just not working for them. I think their model is flawed and they are attempting to ride a nostalgia wave that ended 5-10 years ago for most gamers.

I hope I'm wrong for N's sake, I love the company...I just can't justify a purchase of a Wii U. I think there are many, many consumers in my situation out there.

There's going to be a brand new Zelda in the next couple of years (not the windwaker), plus Bayonetta 2 looks sick) to me
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

darko

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 09:37:38 am »
There's going to be a brand new Zelda in the next couple of years (not the windwaker), plus Bayonetta 2 looks sick) to me

Exactly.

ko1ru

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 09:58:41 am »

I so totally agree with you.  I've stated parallel opinions here before, but I couldn't have said it better myself.  ;)

soera

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 09:59:26 am »
I think the only serious item Im waiting for this gen is Link to the past 2 for the 3DS, Diablo III and Elder scrolls online. Right now DQX is on PC in Japan and on its way here to the states ... not sure if it will make it on the Wii U to the states but thats going to be my weakness for a while. DQVII 3DS is still uncertain of its US release but Im pretty sure it will get here too. Ive heard news of a new Everquest and if its true and what I heard about it, the twitch I have will return! :)

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 03:29:59 pm »
WiiU
New Super Luigi U
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Brothers

PS4
Killzone: Shadow Fall
DriveClub

XboxOne
Killer Instinct
Forza 5
Dead Rising 3

Cybiums

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 03:35:59 pm »
MGS5 The Phantom Pain looks great, so i'll be getting that for my PS4.

GTA5 looks great also, so i'll be getting a copy first chance I get.
Friend Code: 0189-8288-8384

EB Games Sales Associate

Contact me for information on any upcoming releases or pre-order dates for @ EB Games

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 03:17:54 pm »
Dreamcast:

Grandia 2

Just need the cash to pay it ;)

sin2beta

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 01:21:01 am »
Dreamcast:

Grandia 2

Just need the cash to pay it ;)

I like your definition of next gen...  8)
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c