Author Topic: UPDATE - Partnership with Pricecharting.com!  (Read 3640 times)

matt

UPDATE - Partnership with Pricecharting.com!
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:38:43 pm »
Hey all,

I've got some cool news for you that tackles an often requested feature. Over the past few weeks I've been working with the good guys over at PriceCharting.com. As most of you know, PriceCharting has set to tackle one of the most difficult tasks when it comes to collecting - value. They monitor sales on eBay, Amazon and other retailers and use this data to give us estimated values and prices on games. While these numbers aren't always 100% accurate, they do an amazing job at gathering all of the data and giving us a number.

I'm happy to announce that VGCollect now has access to this pricing data! Most of our item pages have now been updated with "Estimates Value" provided by PriceCharting.com. This data isn't available on all items just yet but we'll be adding more data over time. Once we have enough data I will also be adding a total collection estimate.

I hope you all enjoy this new update and let me know if you have any other issues / comments. More updates will be coming soon. As always, I really appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks!
Matt

jcalder8

Re: UPDATE - Partnership with Pricecharting.com!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »
This is pretty sweet! I hope that when the stats come back with can get updated listing of amount spent and estimated value!

Do you think it would be possible for items with no value that it would become user submitted? Example I have a couple of Prototypes where the value would always be null because they are one of a kind.

haloofthesun

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:00:07 pm »
Awesome!

Right now it seems that it only displays the estimated value for loose items, could this possibly be updated in the future to display the value of both loose and complete? This would be especially useful for disc-based games, since they're much less likely to be owned without the case, etc.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:02:29 pm by haloofthesun »

matt

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:03:51 pm »
Awesome!

Right now it seems that it only displays the estimated value for loose items, could this possibly be updated in the future to display the value of both loose and complete? This would be especially useful for disc-based games, since they're much less likely to be owned without the case, etc.

Correct. Right now we can only access the loose prices but I've requested the complete prices as well. Right now they'd have to rewrite part of their system to export that data but they did say that if we have enough demand, they'll add it.

atariboy

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:44 am »
This is good news indeed  ;D
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:15:14 am »
This is EXCELLENT news~!  Price charting is the primary resource I use for researching games at work already outside of ebay, so I predict this will be an incredibly useful addition for me personally....

bobster

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:00 am »
That's pretty awesome! Good job Matt :D
Currently Playing: The Witcher

blipcs76

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 09:49:18 am »
Fantastic!  This will save me a TON of time, since I used to go through my collection item-by-item to calculate the value of my collection.  Adding CIB and New prices would be extremely helpful and I would love that feature to be added too.

Thanks again for making this happen!!!

bobster

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 09:52:39 am »
Fantastic!  This will save me a TON of time, since I used to go through my collection item-by-item to calculate the value of my collection.  Adding CIB and New prices would be extremely helpful and I would love that feature to be added too.

I imagine the hardest part for Matt would be to somehow tie the information from pricecharting to a piece of item. So he'd need to add CIB and sealed check boxes or something.

matt

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 10:27:52 am »

I imagine the hardest part for Matt would be to somehow tie the information from pricecharting to a piece of item. So he'd need to add CIB and sealed check boxes or something.

Fortunately for us, they are actually the ones doing the matching. Unfortunately for us, some of our naming standards don't match theirs so we've only got about 1/4 of our total items matched. We'll be working to improve this over time. The CIB and Sealed prices aren't available to us yet but hopefully they'll open that up over time as well.

bobster

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 10:31:23 am »

Fortunately for us, they are actually the ones doing the matching. Unfortunately for us, some of our naming standards don't match theirs so we've only got about 1/4 of our total items matched. We'll be working to improve this over time. The CIB and Sealed prices aren't available to us yet but hopefully they'll open that up over time as well.

When the time comes, if we have a list of unassociated entries, I know I wouldn't mind giving a hand manually changing some of the entries.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 12:15:37 pm »

When the time comes, if we have a list of unassociated entries, I know I wouldn't mind giving a hand manually changing some of the entries.

Same here, Matt  ;D

(Like I said in that PM - let me know when/where you can use my help:)

I also like the addition of this new feature  ;)

Hopefully - it won't scare the shit out of me like our older Amazon 'feature'/Link did...

...I remember adding my PS1 copies of games like Tactics: Ogre & Valkyrie Profile -and- being linked to an Amazon page that was telling me that they were both selling for ~ $10.00/used  :'(

Of course, I had been (*MIS*)-linked to the page for the PSP re-makes/versions of said games  :o

"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:47 pm »
*snip*

...I remember adding my PS1 copies of games like Tactics: Ogre & Valkyrie Profile -and- being linked to an Amazon page that was telling me that they were both selling for ~ $10.00/used  :'(

*snip*

Terrifying

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 12:23:06 pm »
*snip*

*snip*

Terrifying

Indeed!

Gotta love that overwhelming accompanying feeling of relief that came with figuring that shit out, though!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

matt

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 12:51:44 pm »

Same here, Matt  ;D

(Like I said in that PM - let me know when/where you can use my help:)

I also like the addition of this new feature  ;)

Hopefully - it won't scare the shit out of me like our older Amazon 'feature'/Link did...

Of course, I had been (*MIS*)-linked to the page for the PSP re-makes/versions of said games  :o

You'll be happy to know that Tactics: Orge is now listed as $49 loose. :)

http://vgcollect.com/item/7634