Author Topic: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been...  (Read 2970 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been...
« on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:09 pm »
The "What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been" Topic/Thread:

Just an idea for a simple thread about how each of us found our way/ended up here at VGCollect...

My answer's simple enough (and has been stated before) - I was lucky enough to see one of Jobocan's posts on a G*Faqs' Board (iirc, the "PS3" one) and click-on his link (in his sig) to here.

How about the rest of you all?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

Re: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:47:14 pm »
Some dork made a post at DigitalPress about this site. I came here and started throwing out demands and suggestions, and I guess they found me bossy enough to make me part of the staff. :P

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 04:59:55 pm »
I was getting antsy about getting my game collection organized, especially for the sake of keeping track of my backlog, so I started looking for ways to manage my collection.  After being disappointed with Backloggery (why, oh why, would users want to "catalog" each and every one of their games when they knowingly know that plenty of other people have already typed in the same information?), I'm pretty sure I came across VGC in a Google search and was pleasantly surprised at the clean look and the open community.

I never got that backlog feature I whined about back then  ;)  but the system here is great, and the community is still awesome.  I'm sure it's 'caused my collecting habits to go through the roof, and I've got more tabletop gaming experience under my belt thanks to Scott... been a fun ride so far.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »
Tpugmire mentioned it in a thread on Atariage.  I fell in love with the site and really like the forum community so I decided to stay.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:00:45 pm »
I was over on the cover project and saw the little image of someones collection in their signature, my collection was starting to really grow and wanted to use something other than notepad

soera

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 05:56:58 pm »
I used to go to another collection site (For the life of me, I cant remember what it was called. It was really cool image wise but thats all it had was images). Darko mentioned this place to me and once I joined, I was asked to stay cause of my cool factor so I figured what the hell, I could let others soak in my coolness.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:04:14 pm »
I got hooked by watching a video by a youtuber called Atarileaf

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:07:46 pm by elraiser »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:06:26 pm »
Darko mentioned this place to me and once I joined, I was asked to stay cause of my cool factor so I figured what the hell, I could let others *marinate* in my coolness.

Gotta' get that daily "fix" of mine  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jobocan

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:18:06 pm »
My answer's simple enough (and has been stated before) - I was lucky enough to see one of Jobocan's posts on a G*Faqs' Board (iirc, the "PS3" one) and click-on his link (in his sig) to here.

You saw me on the PS3 board? Man, that must have been a really hateful post then, I DESPISE that board (even though the PS3 is my favorite 7th gen console), surprised you even wanted to check the site after that :P

As for me, I used to use a site called Playfire to track my collection and such, but the site kinda sucked, and got even WORSE when it became a crappy achievement aggregation site rather than a collection site (they removed the whole collection feature at some point). So I went to google and looked for a collection site and came along this one. It was actually not too long after it started up its beta IIRC.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:06:05 pm by jobocan »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 07:03:48 pm »
I saw a collection widget in somebody's signature over at GameSpot.

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 08:05:46 pm »
I thought this was going to be a Grateful Dead thread   :'(

I was looking for a way to keep track of my collection. I got mad at NA's deal they have cause I spent a lot of time clicking boxes and right before I clicked send the site failed so all that work was lost. I found it from Google. Never really noticed the link in peoples post over on NA till after I put it in mine.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 08:49:08 pm »
I was trying to find an app on the android marketplace and stumbled across a buggy little thing called "VGCollect". But what the hell, it's free. The thing kept redirecting me to the support thread on this forum.
Well, I ended up staying. You're welcome.

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:05 pm »
I was researching building my own online database for Sega Saturn, like a simple/cleaner version of Satakore.com.  Google led me straight here, so I grabbed my shovel!

atariboy

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 11:00:48 pm »
Like Foxhack I saw the post over at DigitalPress, I checked it out thought it was just what I was looking for and begun editing entries. They must've liked what I was doing cause they made me an administrator.  ;D
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:23:47 pm »
by chance.
i needed somewhere to add my collection so i knew what i had. i looked at several and thought this was the best.