Author Topic: What do you like to collect, sealed or opened games?  (Read 3283 times)

Re: What do you like to collect, sealed or opened games?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 12:36:09 pm »
This is a pretty debated topic often. This is my point of view. If I find a game sealed for the right price, Ill take it. I have a lot of the games in my DQ collection sealed. They were actually cheaper (low watched auctions vs BIN) than a complete copy so I snatched them up. I also have a few games in my collection that I found sealed that I went ahead and bought. Do I search specifically for sealed games? No.

But its all taste. Some people actually prefer sealed games and to them I say good luck. Lots of people will mention the "games are meant to be played" as a reason to never own sealed games but, at the same time, people collect guns, stamps, money, cards, comics, etc. All of those items have a purpose outside of collecting too. I say do what you want and dont let anyone else tell you how or what to collect. :)

I do the same, i dont search for sealed games but if I see one I right away buy it (if the price is worth for it). That happened to me with the sealed final fantasy games, I was looking for final fantasy stuff on ebay and see this auction with the sealed game, so i wait until the game have lik 10s to finish and entered the bid and win :D (like for only $20). So yeah, if the game is worth it why not to buy it.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 12:39:16 pm »
I no longer buy sealed games unless it's the same price as CIB.  I have been burned twice, even after doing research and lost hundreds of dollars.  It just not worth it for a thin sheet of plastic around my games.  The same reason I'm no longer involved in numismatics, there are just too many thieves out there and some of them are very good at what they do.  It's not worth the risk imo when you get to high value items.

foxhack

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 02:17:29 pm »
I bought a sealed game once to play from eBay. When I opened it, it was covered in mold on the inside.

So I no longer buy anything that's new without checking it first with my own two eyes.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 01:28:25 am »
I actually collect both to be honest....  That being said I only have maybe 50 to 60 sealed games, but I don't let it stop me....  I actually get fairly excited when I find a nice title NIB....  I equate it to finding a shiny pokemon....

theflea

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 11:23:10 pm »
I don't hunt for sealed older games just because I want to be able to play them and also due to space and cost.
What I do when I buy a new game is I never open it til I'm ready to play it.
And then if time passes and the game becomes a classic and has any value and I never got around to play it, hey I own a sealed copy.
I just hate the idea of having to buy EVERY game twice just to have a sealed and open copy. that's just way to much money to spend. I know I have a huge collection but I'd only have half of what I own now if I bought every game twice.
If a stumble across a sealed copy of a classic game at normal cost, ya I buy it and keep it sealed. But it just makes me want to hunt for another one to play. For cart games boxes are bonus. As for CD games, those I require them to have their boxes.
I only buy them without if they are below dirt cheap. lol

As for the scams, yes this is another reason I don't like the idea of hunting old games sealed. You could buy a sealed copy of Chrono Trigger and inside could be a copy of Madden. Some people have resealed games and do a really good job that it's hard to tell sometimes. People who do this know people are not gonna open it and could put anything in the box.

@foxhack; Mold inside? geez must have been in an outside storage and gotten wet at one time. That would suck.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

sin2beta

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 06:23:59 pm »
@foxhack; Mold inside? geez must have been in an outside storage and gotten wet at one time. That would suck.

Good old Quarterback Attack brown sauce. I don't know which would be worse: a box full of mold or a box containing Quarterback Attack. A Tom Zito sports game... At least, I think it was Quarterback Attack with the brown sauce.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 08:48:44 pm »

Good old Quarterback Attack brown sauce. I don't know which would be worse: a box full of mold or a box containing Quarterback Attack. A Tom Zito sports game... At least, I think it was Quarterback Attack with the brown sauce.
it could be worse, it could of been NHL 94 with brown sauce, the game is completely worthless and the brown sauce eat threw the label .
at least QA is a bit unique unlike NHL 94

sin2beta

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 04:07:04 am »

it could be worse, it could of been NHL 94 with brown sauce, the game is completely worthless and the brown sauce eat threw the label .

Them's fightin' words.  ;) To be honest, I actually mildly like both of those games. I think NHL 94 is overrated. But it is still fun. And despite how bad some of the games are... I love Tom Zito.

htimreimer

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 06:02:58 am »

Them's fightin' words.  ;) To be honest, I actually mildly like both of those games. I think NHL 94 is overrated. But it is still fun. And despite how bad some of the games are... I love Tom Zito.
its not fighting words, its fact and the worst part was it took forever to clean and it smelled like rotting potato and cigarette smoke

sin2beta

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 12:44:04 pm »

its not fighting words, its fact and the worst part was it took forever to clean and it smelled like rotting potato and cigarette smoke

Oh... I completely misread that. You got a copy of NHL 94 that was moldy. That sucks. At least, it is a fairly cheap game to find.

I wonder what it is on games that actually gets mold...

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 08:03:04 pm »
were the Japanese N64 game boxes sealed?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

htimreimer

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 09:02:54 pm »

I wonder what it is on games that actually gets mold...
that's a good question and it always a brown mold too

madmax

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 12:12:16 am »
If I can get a game sealed. I'll take it, about 30-40% of my collection is sealed. I don't go out of my way too far for it though. I mostly just buy new games sealed.