Author Topic: How Is Your Dreamcast Gaming Going?  (Read 2869 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

How Is Your Dreamcast Gaming Going?
« on: September 08, 2013, 02:16:29 am »

How is your Sega Dreamcast gaming going? Post whatever related to it, here.

The Sega Dreamcast, Sega's console swan-song. Many gamers praise it for it's unique library of games, and superior multiplatform title; as well as it's unique, Sega style.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the console. Still not as good as the PS1, during it's time, IMO; but I thought it was the next best console back then (as in I liked it more than N64 and Saturn). And I had one when it was new. I sold my original console when I moved on to the original XBox. But I re-bought one a few years later.

I recently added some essential titles to my Dreamcast collection, ones that many of you guys probably already have, but were pretty cool for me to add to the collection: Marvel vs. Capcom, Quake III: Arena, and Dead of Alive 2. I LOVE Marvel vs. Capcom. It's like my favorite fighting game of all-time. So it was such a cool addition. And Dead or Alive 2 just looks gorgeous for a Dreamcast game. I used to have all 3 of these games in my original Dreamcast collection, when the console was still current.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:33:06 pm by burningdoom »

sin2beta

Re: How Is Your Dreamcast Gaming Going?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:46:31 am »

How is your Sega Dreamcast gaming going? Post whatever related to it, here.

The Sega Dreamcast, Sega's console swan-song. Many gamers praise it for it's unique library of games, and superior multiplatform title; as well as it's unique, Sega style.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the console. Still not as good as the PS1, during it's time, IMO; but I thought it was the next best console back then (as in I liked it more than N64 and Saturn). And I had one when it was new. I sold my original console when I moved on to the original XBox. But I re-bought one a few years later.

I recently added some essential titles to my Dreamcast collection, ones that many of you guys probably already have, but were pretty cool for me to add to the collection: Marvel vs. Capcom, Quake III: Arena, and Soul Calibur. I LOVE Marvel vs. Capcom. It's like my favorite fighting game of all-time. So it was such a cool addition. And Soul Calibur just looks gorgeous for a Dreamcast game. I used to have all 3 of these games in my original Dreamcast collection, when the console was still current.

Pretty well. The Sega Addicts crew are currently doing a 24-hour Dreamcast Marathon in celebration of it's birthday. Going into September 9!
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

ffxik

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:15:04 am »
Very poorly.  Would love to add Giga Wing 1 & 2 to my collection.  As I have been in a shoot'em up binge lately.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 01:48:12 pm »
Very poorly.  Would love to add Giga Wing 1 & 2 to my collection.  As I have been in a shoot'em up binge lately.

I love me a good shoot-em up. But the Giga Wing games aren't on my wishlist. I'm just not goot enough for the bullet-hell ones. I mean, games like Gradius and Einhander give me a hard enough time as it is.

Gunbird 2 is an awesome looking Dreamcast shoot-em up that looks more my style. But unfortunately, it's also crazy expensive, so I'm probably not gonna be getting that one:

BTW, I plan on using some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on my Dreamcast and my SNES (which is worse) to get rid of some the yellowing that's happened over time. I've heard it works wonders. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Maybe I'll take before and after pics, if it works. You'll all see the big, ugly, but completely cosmetic crack in my SNES!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:50:30 pm by burningdoom »

brunauss

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »
Currently taking a break from my DC and getting my abandoned pc titles all installed on an old restored Dell graphics workstation. At least won't have to deal with trying to sell all those pc games now.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 04:15:26 pm »
BTW, I plan on using some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on my Dreamcast and my SNES (which is worse) to get rid of some the yellowing that's happened over time. I've heard it works wonders. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Maybe I'll take before and after pics, if it works. You'll all see the big, ugly, but completely cosmetic crack in my SNES!

It did get a lot of dirt that I couldn't even see off of them, but unfortunately, it didn't do squat about the yellowing. Luckily, the yellowing on my Dreamcast is hardly noticable, but the SNES is bad.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:43:24 pm »
Gunbird 2 is pretty sweet! it is kind of bullet hell-ish though, I've been playing a lot of Street Fighter 3 double impact, I actually prefer Giant attack to third strike, same with MVC to MVC 2. Im moving at the end of this month so all my stuff is packed but I did keep out the old dreamcast and Neo Geo, for those great fighting games. Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:18:43 pm »
I was just talking about the DC today with a friend.  The system was just so buttery smooth.  It really had an arcadey feel to it, no doubt helped by crazy taxi and such.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:51:40 am »
Don't forget Hydro Thunder.  That one gets most of the playtime on my Dreamcast.  That's followed by Tony Hawk 2, Bass Fishing, Soul Calibur, and Street Fighter Alpha 3.  I love the Arcade-y feel of the console.  It's so much fun to pick up and play.

soera

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:21:29 pm »
Today is apparently the birthday of the DC. :) 9/9/99.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 04:08:12 pm »
Today is apparently the birthday of the DC. :) 9/9/99.

Indeed it is!

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 01:37:34 am »

I love me a good shoot-em up. But the Giga Wing games aren't on my wishlist. I'm just not goot enough for the bullet-hell ones. I mean, games like Gradius and Einhander give me a hard enough time as it is.

Gunbird 2 is an awesome looking Dreamcast shoot-em up that looks more my style. But unfortunately, it's also crazy expensive, so I'm probably not gonna be getting that one:

I have Gunbird 2.  It is very much worth it.  Still though Gunbird 2 is around $30.  Giga Wing 2 is around $70  :'(

brunauss

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 02:54:46 am »

It did get a lot of dirt that I couldn't even see off of them, but unfortunately, it didn't do squat about the yellowing. Luckily, the yellowing on my Dreamcast is hardly noticable, but the SNES is bad.

I myself completely remove the shell and scrub it down with Soft Scrub, then rinse thoroughly before drying and putting it back on.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

ffxik

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 03:17:14 am »

I myself completely remove the shell and scrub it down with Soft Scrub, then rinse thoroughly before drying and putting it back on.

I hear Retr0bright is great for yellowing.  I also hear it is on the expensive side to make.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:33:19 am by ffxik »

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 12:28:33 pm »
Yellow consoles are perfect for modding!  Do it...