Author Topic: Nintendo Wii ends production today  (Read 2064 times)

haloofthesun

Re: Nintendo Wii ends production today
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 12:47:08 am »
The Wii has loads of gems on it that don't get much attention. It's an interesting console to collect for because there's actually a very large variety of games, many of them being much better in quality than they would appear to be. I hate motion controls, so even after I bought my Wii I didn't pay much attention to collecting for it, but it's now one of the biggest parts of my collection.

The Wii U is off to an incredibly slow start, but I think that in time it's going to be the same way. It certainly isn't a failure yet, especially considering how many successful consoles of late have had slow starts. The Wii U's been worse as far as that goes, but I'm guessing the trend will continue in similar fashion with the PS4 and X1. They'll sell better, of course, because they have the AAA games and dudebros behind it, but the sales will likely be much lower than anticipated. And in that regard, many developers with the mantra of "throw money at it to make it better" are in for a rude awakening coming up.

Also, the notion of Nintendo of going software only is pretty silly. The 3DS has been selling incredibly, with momentum steadily increasing. The Wii U could end up being a total bust and Nintendo will still be raking in the money. They might go handheld only, but that still seems unlikely. In any situation, though, they aren't going anywhere for a long time.

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 12:57:48 am »
I think alot of people jump on the Wii hating bandwagon cause it doesnt have those Gamestop cool dude games. I found the Wii a much better system than the 360 and I think they have been shown to be more reliable than either the Sony or the Microsoft systems of this gen. I couldnt care less about the fact that it didnt have HDMI cause the visible difference is not even noticeable. Motion controls are cool for what they are although I do wish it wasnt pushed on EVERY single 1st party game. And with Xenoblade/Last story/Pandora, the system has 3 exclusives that should keep the system wanted for a while (including myself needing to buy them all).

WiiU so far, however, has really not done anything to bring me any closer to purchasing one. It so far feels like just an afterthought for them to keep console people happy while they work on yet another handheld.

I jumped on the "bandwagon" because I felt motion controls to be a solution to a problem that didn't need fixing. The main control scheme for any system should be as adaptable as possible to the widest variety of games - the Wiimote simply didn't hit that mark, and in many cases, simply complicated otherwise simple tasks.

As for HDMI, I'm honestly puzzled as to how you can't tell a difference between 480p, 720p, and 1080p. Maybe if you're using an older, RCA-only CRT, but even on component video, you should see pretty massive changes, even just in terms of the field of view.

I'm glad I bought a Wii because there are a lot of great games for it, but Nintendo squandered a lot of opportunities, and dragged their feet on others for so long that the system was damn near dead before anything materialized.

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 02:46:43 am »
I think he meant HDMI won't help the 480p any so HDMI is pointless on the Wii.

1080p via component is almost as sexy as it is via HDMI. However you increase the chance of getting interference in the line which isn't sexy.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 10:46:25 am »
I think he meant HDMI won't help the 480p any so HDMI is pointless on the Wii.

1080p via component is almost as sexy as it is via HDMI. However you increase the chance of getting interference in the line which isn't sexy.

"Sexy" (as always); FTW!  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"