Author Topic: Japanese?  (Read 3125 times)

90snostalga

Japanese?
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:39:32 am »
Any one here very fluent in Japanese?  If not, any other languages?

desocietas

Re: Japanese?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 12:43:37 am »
nein
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 12:54:49 am »
I'm fluent in English.

What? I'm Mexican. :P

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:55:41 am »
nyet
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:15:07 am »
I assume nyet and nein is no in some other language?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 09:34:22 am »

Kimimi-chan is fluent (although, she's been pretty busy and hasn't been around her much, lately) -but- if you had any JP-related questions, she's pretty active on her own blog (read: reviews of more obscure JP/Asian-Only games).

I don't have a link to her site handy -but- talk to our user Insektmute...I'm sure that he'd be better able to direct you there :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:35:04 am »
I assume nyet and nein is no in some other language?

Russian & German; respectively.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 09:27:14 pm »

Kimimi-chan is fluent (although, she's been pretty busy and hasn't been around her much, lately) -but- if you had any JP-related questions, she's pretty active on her own blog (read: reviews of more obscure JP/Asian-Only games).

I don't have a link to her site handy -but- talk to our user Insektmute...I'm sure that he'd be better able to direct you there :)

Okay.  I will have to do that.  I wanted to play Super Famicom games and thought I could try to teach myself Japanese but maybe confirm some things about the language with a speaker.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 06:46:52 am »
I'm pretty good at Japanese, but not really fluent....  I can recognize maybe 800-900 kanji but probably can only write a couple hundred from memory anymore....  Haven't really been keeping up the last several years....  Keep in mind that this is from studying during highschool and college as well....  I've found that my friend who learned a little from the 4 years he lived in Japan as a child STILL obliterates my 7 years studying in school, so in depth questions would dumbfound me likely....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:48:42 am by teck »

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:17:14 pm »
I'm pretty good at Japanese, but not really fluent....  I can recognize maybe 800-900 kanji but probably can only write a couple hundred from memory anymore....  Haven't really been keeping up the last several years....  Keep in mind that this is from studying during highschool and college as well....  I've found that my friend who learned a little from the 4 years he lived in Japan as a child STILL obliterates my 7 years studying in school, so in depth questions would dumbfound me likely....

800 kanji is still a great accomplishment!  Have you ever played a game in japanese and understood it?

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:56:48 pm »
I guess really, learning how to read Japanese is more important to me than speaking.  Any one recommend any good soft ware other than Rosetta Stone?  Stone is way too expensive.

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:01 pm »
I guess really, learning how to read Japanese is more important to me than speaking.  Any one recommend any good soft ware other than Rosetta Stone?  Stone is way too expensive.

I'm using Textfugu and Wanikani right now.  Textfugu is an online textbook while Wanikani is a webapp.  They both have open access to the first few levels.  I think WK is still in beta, but you just have to sign up for it, and they'll email you fairly soon.  They are $5/month, I think.

I've been too busy to keep up with it lately, but my last tally was something like 390 kanji.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 02:11:05 am »

800 kanji is still a great accomplishment!  Have you ever played a game in japanese and understood it?

Yes, in the past I would play around with some VNs with my kanji dictionary handy....  There are always some things here and there that throw me off though....

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 08:39:24 am »
I want to become fluent in Japanese. its just that the kanji screws me up the butt.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 06:58:14 pm »
Yea that Kanji is crazy.  There are so so so so so so many to learn that it never stops.  I began an online course last night for Japanese beginning with the Katakana.  I will have to set a pace, and a good disciplined schedule to help learn everything.  Maybe like 50 Kanji a week or something.  For me, as long as I can read Japanese, I would be happy.  But just getting into the Katakana chart and sounds last night, I learned that speaking maybe easier than reading it.