Author Topic: What are your biggest surprises from this site?  (Read 2999 times)

teck

PRO Supporter

What are your biggest surprises from this site?
« on: October 28, 2013, 07:08:57 am »
I realized two things tonight and it led me to ponder, what has surprised (both good and bad) everyone here?  I started randomly browsing some collections in my insomniac state and here are the realizations that caught me off guard tonight that led to this....

1.)  I do not consider ANY hardware, memorabilia, PC games, games that are not CIB, or digital content to be a part of my collection....  Apparently most other people do....  Now the CIB one, I'll admit, is a little over kill but I have been consciously avoiding adding any items to the site here that fall under those categories....

2.)  Kimimi has the greatest damn import collection around....  Seriously, check her out~!  She makes me jelly....  I have been following a few collections for a little bit in order to broaden my horizons, but I missed the one that the most up my alley~!  My wishlist is going to grow SOOOOO much now....

What kind of unexpected impacts have you guys experienced around here~?

scott

Re: What are your biggest surprises from this site?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:45:31 am »
Biggest surprise for me was after we opened up registrations and people started flowing in. And I wasn't expecting to see our tiny database of maybe 5,000 grow to the proportions it has in the last 2 years. Crazy!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 12:15:01 pm »
Biggest surprise for me was after we opened up registrations and people started flowing in. And I wasn't expecting to see our tiny database of maybe 5,000 grow to the proportions it has in the last 2 years. Crazy!

Oh ye of little faith!

scott

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:19:56 pm »

Oh ye of little faith!

You forget we were coming off of the decline of Digital Something. :P
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 12:32:33 pm »
1 how many amazing deals flea finds.
2 how much i would enjoy the game rooms pics and new to collection threads.
3 the willingness for the admin to listen to any ideas we may have.

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »
I think I was surprised by the number of people that have complete NES collections (minus a few games). Before I started getting involved in the community. I kinda had a vision of just a few people having got that far. Turns out there was a group that started in the 90s and a bunch finishing up now. It's still not a huge amount. But it is more people than I would have thought. Interestingly, a lot of these collectors seem to now be going the Turbo Grafx way after finishing NES. The Turbo went from an obscure system no one cared about to an obscure but fairly hot commodity.

I'm kinda surprised how a fairly open system (in terms of anyone being able to add something) hasn't turned to complete crap. So far only the Dreamcast list is something I would deem questionable. I'm sorry Bare Knuckle Vacuum is not a game... But I do understand why they are there. That's more just me wanting the site to selfishly match my own personal view of what a complete Dreamcast list is. But honestly, the database is damn good. I would have expected something like that to be turned to crap pretty quickly.

I'm also surprised a bit at how well forum trading, buying, and selling goes.

All of the above speaks to the community. Well, maybe not the NES thing...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:38:14 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 02:23:30 pm »
I'm kinda surprised how a fairly open system (in terms of anyone being able to add something) hasn't turned to complete crap.

All of the above speaks to the community.

This is my thought. But again, it goes to the actual community here. The people that come here and actually interact instead of just posting their collection seem to be all good people and are about the gaming community instead of just out to make a quick buck on someone. I have talked to a lot of people and consider people on here to be an honest friend.

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 02:45:54 pm »
I'm kinda surprised how a fairly open system (in terms of anyone being able to add something) hasn't turned to complete crap. So far only the Dreamcast list is something I would deem questionable. I'm sorry Bare Knuckle Vacuum is not a game... But I do understand why they are there. That's more just me wanting the site to selfishly match my own personal view of what a complete Dreamcast list is. But honestly, the database is damn good. I would have expected something like that to be turned to crap pretty quickly.
I definitely -do not like- those stupid Beats of Rage mods / Bleemcast discs and delete them when I notice them. Those games are not collectible at the least. I also dislike people posting their burned proto games or translation reproduction carts but that's mostly because I hate people making money off translation hackers. :P

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 04:41:23 pm »
I'm kinda surprised how a fairly open system (in terms of anyone being able to add something) hasn't turned to complete crap.

This is my thought. But again, it goes to the actual community here. The people that come here and actually interact instead of just posting their collection seem to be all good people and are about the gaming community instead of just out to make a quick buck on someone. I have talked to a lot of people and consider people on here to be an honest friend.

Word

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 05:18:53 pm »

<3

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 07:56:13 pm »
The community was the biggest surprise, for me. It's not often that you can find a genuinely friendly gaming community. Most are either juvenile, love to start flame wars, or has the snarky knob turned up to 11.

This community instantly welcomed me, and I haven't had a bad experience here with another member, yet. Not even a heated-debate that got too heated.

pacpix

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 08:24:08 pm »
I also have been very happy with the community here.  The forums are always the first thing I check in the morning and when I get home from school/work.  This is the only forum I have more than 50ish posts on. 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 08:45:10 pm »
I've also got to say the community you guys are the best people I've never met

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 08:56:04 pm »

We're all figments of your imagination.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 09:05:17 pm »

We're all figments of your imagination.

no those guys are Assholes