Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 7777 times)

90snostalga

Re: Wii U
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2013, 11:55:37 am »
I will have to say that controller reminds me of a Sega Game Gear and looks like a 75 dollar controller.  I just hope I would never drop it on accident and break it because replacements must be expensive

soera

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:00 pm »
Its a lot more than $70 to replace. :o

Its a cool system. I have one at the house right now while the church Im the game master of is on its Christmas break (the program that uses the PS4/WiiU and all my other systems at the church follows the school schedule so its not going to be going on for 3-4 weeks and I wanted to bring the system to the house to initialize it with my Club Nintendo account and get all the updates for it). My kids will be playing SMBU while Im watching TV. Its one of the coolest aspects of the machine for me.

I will probably buy my own system in the future. I really like it. And that game pad isnt nearly as uncomfortable as you may assume.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2013, 02:45:24 pm »
I will have to say that controller reminds me of a Sega Game Gear and looks like a 75 dollar controller.  I just hope I would never drop it on accident and break it because replacements must be expensive

It must be tough. Mine has survived a year with a 3/4 year old. It's been dropped more than once and still looks new.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2013, 02:54:09 pm »
(Sung/Hummed to the tune of "Stuck in the Middle With You") -

Sony's to the left of me, MS is to the right...here I am stuck in the middle Wii U

;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

insektmute

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2013, 03:40:05 pm »
The marketing for the Wii U has been absolutely horrible.  People don't know it's a standalone console, they either think it's a peripheral for the old Wii or a handheld.  Even their new commercials don't stress that it's a brand new, standalone console.

I still run into people who ask what the thing even is, usually from casual gamers like coworkers. Even after I say, "it's a new console" they're like, "so, do you need a Wii to use it, or...?" They really should've come up with a completely different name to address the fact that a large portion of their audience isn't the type that keeps up on gaming news.

Most of those same people don't know anything about the controller either, so even after explaining that it's a completely new, standalone console, they don't understand what its selling point is supposed to be. When I say that it has better graphics and you can still play Wii games on it, you can literally watch their eyes glaze over in disinterest.

90snostalga

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2013, 03:46:33 pm »
The marketing for the Wii U has been absolutely horrible.  People don't know it's a standalone console, they either think it's a peripheral for the old Wii or a handheld.  Even their new commercials don't stress that it's a brand new, standalone console.

I still run into people who ask what the thing even is, usually from casual gamers like coworkers. Even after I say, "it's a new console" they're like, "so, do you need a Wii to use it, or...?" They really should've come up with a completely different name to address the fact that a large portion of their audience isn't the type that keeps up on gaming news.

Most of those same people don't know anything about the controller either, so even after explaining that it's a completely new, standalone console, they don't understand what its selling point is supposed to be. When I say that it has better graphics and you can still play Wii games on it, you can literally watch their eyes glaze over in disinterest.

This is true but me personally, I don't consider myself a casual gamer.  I game ever day!  lol.  But I guess for me, I was planning on getting an actual Wii but not immediately (still dont have one) so when I first heard of the WiiU and I seen the commercials, I assumed it as a portable Wii that I did not want so I never kept up with it after that.  And that was actually about a year ago now.  This is all new news for me and I feel stupid for having the completely wrong idea of the Wii U.  When I worked at wal mart a year ago in electronics, customer bought wii or anything related to a wii every day but I cannot remember a single sale of a Wii U or a game for it.  Customers never even asked to see a game out the case or ask any questions about.  Nor the employees who were die hard gamers. 

I have always loved Nintendo (my first love behind Sega) and support them, but I will admit, they have dropped the ball on the marketing and promotion for the Wii U because I know a hand full of gamers off the top of my head who dont have one and who think its a portable console.  I got to properly educate them.  I am still shocked tho' that this whole time, I have been completely wrong about it as a gamer and collector  :-[

soera

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2013, 05:08:23 pm »
I wonder if they did it on purpose. I heard recently that Nintendo is wanting to go the way of SEGA and just creating games without bothering with consoles. Can you imagine Mario/Mega man/Metroid/Zelda on a system like the PS4? If this does happen, whoever ends up getting Nintendo as their 3rd party exclusive will for sure win the console wars. And seeing as Playstation already has a leg up on Microshaft as far as portables, it would make sense if they chose Sony.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2013, 05:36:56 pm »
I wonder if they did it on purpose. I heard recently that Nintendo is wanting to go the way of SEGA and just creating games without bothering with consoles. Can you imagine Mario/Mega man/Metroid/Zelda on a system like the PS4? If this does happen, whoever ends up getting Nintendo as their 3rd party exclusive will for sure win the console wars. And seeing as Playstation already has a leg up on Microshaft as far as portables, it would make sense if they chose Sony.

Nintendo won't be going software only any time soon. They are trying what have always done: put a new spin on old tech. Marketing dropped the ball this time.

What I think (my own damn theory, so get off my back) is so many people bought the Wii and didn't play it long term, they didn't have an interest in a new console.
Nintendo blew their casual gaming wad with the Wii. Not everyone enjoys games. Nintendo failed to realize that they hadn't created gamers. They created a toy that Grandma wanted to play. Wii Sports was fun. Everyone thought so for a while. Now that Wii is in the closet. "I bought a Wii and haven't played it in years.  Why would I need a new one?" 

Nintendo needs to market to the 3DS crowd and not worry about Grandma. That's who makes cash. Mom buys Little Timmy a new system at Christmas. Mom doesn't have any interest this time around.

haloofthesun

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2013, 05:56:05 pm »

That's not true. Nintendo has said several times recently that if their consoles were to fail then that would be the end of Nintendo. They're in the hardware business until they can no longer sustain themselves. They will not go third party.

Of course, they won't fail, at least for a long time.

What I think (my own damn theory, so get off my back) is so many people bought the Wii and didn't play it long term, they didn't have an interest in a new console.
Nintendo blew their casual gaming wad with the Wii. Not everyone enjoys games. Nintendo failed to realize that they hadn't created gamers. They created a toy that Grandma wanted to play. Wii Sports was fun. Everyone thought so for a while. Now that Wii is in the closet. "I bought a Wii and haven't played it in years.  Why would I need a new one?" 

Nintendo needs to market to the 3DS crowd and not worry about Grandma. That's who makes cash. Mom buys Little Timmy a new system at Christmas. Mom doesn't have any interest this time around.

I agree, but you can't blame them too much for trying to recreate their massive sales from last gen. They sold so many Wiis, it would be bad business practice to not try and follow up on that. Of course, the Wii's success was because of a gimmick and that just isn't going to last. I think after the Wii U, Nintendo will realize this and that will be the end of the Wii line of consoles. They've started taking small steps to get back on good terms with non-casual gamers, hopefully they'll pick up the pace on that a bit.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:01:53 pm by haloofthesun »

karyann

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2013, 07:53:46 pm »
I'm just writing in-between the "Wii U problem" posts to mention that I actually enjoy Nintendo Land! Of course I wouldn't spend 50 hours on it, but it has already had a better longevity to me than Wii Sports, and I'm not even bored of it yet. It's a lot of fun alone, and it's a different fun with people. I love that the experience changes with other players, and there are a lot of games too, so you can alternate that too.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2013, 08:16:33 pm »
I'm just writing in-between the "Wii U problem" posts to mention that I actually enjoy Nintendo Land! Of course I wouldn't spend 50 hours on it, but it has already had a better longevity to me than Wii Sports, and I'm not even bored of it yet. It's a lot of fun alone, and it's a different fun with people. I love that the experience changes with other players, and there are a lot of games too, so you can alternate that too.

I liked the Yoshi game. It was fun, for a minute. Nintendo land just didn't do much for me. I liked Wii Sports a whole lot more.

90snostalga

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2013, 08:28:46 pm »

That's not true. Nintendo has said several times recently that if their consoles were to fail then that would be the end of Nintendo. They're in the hardware business until they can no longer sustain themselves. They will not go third party.

Of course, they won't fail, at least for a long time.

I agree, but you can't blame them too much for trying to recreate their massive sales from last gen. They sold so many Wiis, it would be bad business practice to not try and follow up on that. Of course, the Wii's success was because of a gimmick and that just isn't going to last. I think after the Wii U, Nintendo will realize this and that will be the end of the Wii line of consoles. They've started taking small steps to get back on good terms with non-casual gamers, hopefully they'll pick up the pace on that a bit.

What was the gimmek that Nintendo used for the Wii sales?

sin2beta

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2013, 08:35:06 pm »
I don't see Nintendo going third party for the sole fact that they will probably have the most popular console for this generation... the 3DS. Nintendo will be in the hardware market until portable gaming dies completely.

Now is not a good time to be a third party game developer anyway. The day Nintendo goes third party is the day they die. A probable only reason Sega is still alive is due to Sammy propping them up. Sega's number one business is supplying Sammy access to IPs.

Nintendo would fair better. But not enough. I don't think there will be that many people interested in a Mario game who are not willing to shell out cash for a Wii or WiiU
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2013, 08:41:33 pm »
Oh snap ! :D  I just seen on walmart that the WiiU has a Super Luigu Bros. adventure game!  Finally he got his own besides that mansion for the gamecube.  I wonder how that game is!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2013, 10:26:05 pm »
Oh snap ! :D  I just seen on walmart that the WiiU has a Super Luigu Bros. adventure game!  Finally he got his own besides that mansion for the gamecube.  I wonder how that game is!

Don't get too excited. It's New SMB U with 100 seconds on the clock. It was worth 20 bones, but it's basically a hack of New SMB U.

I love mario games so I liked the Luigi game too. It's just more if the same though.