Author Topic: Blockbuster  (Read 2643 times)

90snostalga

Blockbuster
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:14:22 pm »
For being a 90s kid, this saddens me to the core.  The final 300 Blockbuster stores are closing down.  :(  Also for someone who likes having a VHS, DVD and Blu Ray collection, I hope they never stop making physical movies.  If they go completely digital, then I won't get them.

NOthing like being a kid in the 90s, going to blockbuster, renting about 3 to 5 tapes, watch them over the weekend with pop corn.  I miss making my nights Blockbuster nights :(

Here is the link:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blockbuster-exiting-us-retail-market-closing-last-300-173716438.html

scott

Re: Blockbuster
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 03:59:09 pm »
Cool. I guess that means I don't have to worry about that late fee any more.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 04:12:45 pm »

:(  You don't miss them?

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:13:31 pm »

Or should I say, you don't miss the good times with Blockbuster?

scott

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:20:10 pm »
Not really. I never rented much, was always paranoid about dirt from other people's systems getting into my VCR/NES.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 04:40:28 pm »
Not really. I never rented much, was always paranoid about dirt from other people's systems getting into my VCR/NES.

For real? ??   You never stayed with friends over the weekend watching movies or playing games rented?

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 07:40:35 pm »
I am glad that they are gone now! Jerks closed down the stores in Canada because Blockbuster was losing money in the US not because of the Canadian market.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:49:41 pm »
Most of the stores in our area closed, but we still have one open. The news is that they are filing for bankruptcy, that doesn't necessarily mean they are closing their doors, yet.

Those that won't miss Blockbuster, why not? The convenience of going to a rental store, physically browsing the shelves, and picking out a movie to take home and watch right then (rather than waiting for Netflix to arrive in the mail). And it has a helluva bigger selection than those crappy Redbox bins that have like the top 20 new releases only.

Oh, and they did away with late fees YEARS back, when I still worked there in my late teens (30 now).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:51:44 pm by burningdoom »

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 08:07:25 pm »
Most of the stores in our area closed, but we still have one open. The news is that they are filing for bankruptcy, that doesn't necessarily mean they are closing their doors, yet.

Those that won't miss Blockbuster, why not? The convenience of going to a rental store, physically browsing the shelves, and picking out a movie to take home and watch right then (rather than waiting for Netflix to arrive in the mail). And it has a helluva bigger selection than those crappy Redbox bins that have like the top 20 new releases only.

Oh, and they did away with late fees YEARS back, when I still worked there in my late teens (30 now).

Glad Im not the only one who will miss blockbuster.   :D  So many memories and convenience.

pacpix

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 08:28:55 pm »
Hollywood Video 4 Lyfe
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:43:38 pm »
Hollywood Video 4 Lyfe

HA!   ;)  The old Blockbuster and Hollywood Video battle.  The good old days  8)

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 10:54:35 pm »
I have nostalgia for Blockbuster (rental services in general). But I don't think I would miss them. I have not been to one in well over a decade. And I don't understand why people go there now.

But I do miss the days of going and renting several movies for the weekend. Now that everything is at our fingertips the feeling of an event is gone. It's better this way. But there is the mini party feeling you got from "blockbuster nights".
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:06 am »
I have nostalgia for Blockbuster (rental services in general). But I don't think I would miss them. I have not been to one in well over a decade. And I don't understand why people go there now.

But I do miss the days of going and renting several movies for the weekend. Now that everything is at our fingertips the feeling of an event is gone. It's better this way. But there is the mini party feeling you got from "blockbuster nights".

What do you mean by "its better this way"?

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 12:07:37 am »

What do you mean by "its better this way"?

I much prefer the ability to instantly watch any movie or tv show over the internet rather than driving to a store to rent a handful of movies. Having everything instantly is better than having a limited selection where things might be out of stock.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 12:36:01 am »
I totally have that nostalgia of walking up and down the aisle hoping to find some really good title I hadn't seen before.  And I agree that it kinda felt like a mini-party to go home with a few tapes.

I still remember one of my sadder childhood memories was coming home with the VHS tape of "Land Before Time" and the tape didn't play... I still haven't seen that movie.

I was also at that age (or maybe my parents someone got me out of the mindset) that I thought people didn't really buy stuff to own.  I'd see all the tapes and videogames but never thought of asking my parents to get that stuff so our family could keep it *forever*.

Kids don't have that long of an attention span for new stuff - my local GS has to deal with people using their 7 day return policy as a way to "rent" games for free - so having 3 or 5 or 7 days with a new game... I was lovin' that.

I still have fond memories of my mom putting down a hefty deposit so I could lug a Virtual Boy home for a few days.  Or staring at the cover for Clay Fighter, wondering what the game was like (but we didn't have a SNES).

Remember when you could rent console controllers from Blockbuster, too?  Man... memory lane...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas