Author Topic: Release Date  (Read 1791 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Release Date
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 07:14:42 pm »
Not sure if it's related to the date fix... but I was putting in some comics and item numbers and barcodes don't seem to be working now on submitted items. Not sure on edits though.

I'm not so sure putting barcodes on comics is a good idea, anyways.

Since the early 80s, the majority comics have come out in both "Newstand" edition and "Direct Sales" edition. Newstand are the ones sent to grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. and have the barcode. Direct sales editions are the ones sold directly in comic book shops, and don't have the bardcodes.

We could also get into Whitman and Baxter versions, too, which ran in the 80s.

Suffice to say, it's probably more of a headache than it's worth to put the bardcodes in. Because then we'd need 2 of each comic in the database to represent both versions.

scott

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 07:29:01 pm »
I noticed on these WoW books that they are all the same barcode anyway. Which I thought was strange.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 02:08:35 am »
Not sure if it's related to the date fix... but I was putting in some comics and item numbers and barcodes don't seem to be working now on submitted items. Not sure on edits though.

Since the early 80s, the majority comics have come out in both "Newstand" edition and "Direct Sales" edition. Newstand are the ones sent to grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. and have the barcode. Direct sales editions are the ones sold directly in comic book shops, and don't have the bardcodes.

Suffice to say, it's probably more of a headache than it's worth to put the bardcodes in. Because then we'd need 2 of each comic in the database to represent both versions.

Comic books are atrocious to manage and catalog anyways....  You've got variants, first print/subsequent prints, and not to mention randomly dropping new number ones and other crazy numbering schemes....  I hate collecting comics because its fucking rocket science to manage the damn things....

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 07:57:58 pm »

Comic books are atrocious to manage and catalog anyways....  You've got variants, first print/subsequent prints, and not to mention randomly dropping new number ones and other crazy numbering schemes....  I hate collecting comics because its fucking rocket science to manage the damn things....

Not if you have ComicCollectorLive.com's software. The thing has been a godsend for me. It has keeps track of your comic collection VERY nicely, and does include all the variants and such.

And it's database of information is more complete than any Wiki or collecting website I've ever seen.