Author Topic: Release Date  (Read 1789 times)

pacpix

Release Date
« on: November 09, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »
I was inputting some information for Atari 2600 Carts today and noticed that the year for release date only goes back to 1979.  A few of my games were released before that so I was wondering if it would be possible to extend that back farther or just allow for manual input of the year.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Release Date
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:15:55 am »
I didn't even realize that. Wow. Yeah, the Atari 2600 was released in 1977 (1976 in some specific regions). So there are games that predated 1979, for sure. And before that even, there was Magnavox Odyssey and Fairchild F games.

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:21:02 am »
I also noticed that if it had a pre-1979 release date entered before the site update it kept that date, but when you click to edit the item it it just says select year instead of the year on the main item page.

matt

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:14:30 pm »
I also noticed that if it had a pre-1979 release date entered before the site update it kept that date, but when you click to edit the item it it just says select year instead of the year on the main item page.

Yikes - oops.

Do you think 77 is the earliest we'd need?

scott

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 12:29:07 pm »
Maybe 76 to be safe?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:35:00 pm »
Maybe 76 to be safe?

Probably 72 would be better, just in case some people want to enter all the Magnavox Odyssey cartridges (both those that come with the system or individually, I notice some of the individual ones are missing).

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:40 pm »
Maybe 76 to be safe?

Probably 72 would be better, just in case some people want to enter all the Magnavox Odyssey cartridges (both those that come with the system or individually, I notice some of the individual ones are missing).

I was going to suggest the same thing. Pong also came out the same year. And then several Pong clones for the few following years. As well as Atari's Video Pinball home console.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:10:05 pm »
Since this thread is already on the subject of release dates, I thought this would fit here:

I was adding a couple comic items to the database - Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition #1 and Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition II #1, in the Swag - Print Media category.

I noticed after adding them, after putting a release date on both, the release date didn't show up on either item.

The first time, I thought I made a mistake and hit my mouse wheel while the date was selected or something. So I submitted an edit. But after knew I didn't make a mistake on the 2nd item, I didn't submit a 2nd edit. Should I still?

pacpix

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 09:43:47 pm »
Since this thread is already on the subject of release dates, I thought this would fit here:

I was adding a couple comic items to the database - Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition #1 and Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition II #1, in the Swag - Print Media category.

I noticed after adding them, after putting a release date on both, the release date didn't show up on either item.

The first time, I thought I made a mistake and hit my mouse wheel while the date was selected or something. So I submitted an edit. But after knew I didn't make a mistake on the 2nd item, I didn't submit a 2nd edit. Should I still?
This was mentioned a while ago in the bug thread:
Apparently neither the release date nor the box text is being entered when submitting new items. But if you edit the item, you can add the box text via an edit. The dates can't be fixed.

scott

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 10:16:01 pm »
I just pushed out a bunch of approvals and it seems like Release Dates are updating via edits. Seems to be working that way.. I know i'ts sub-optimal, but at least we can get them listed. Hopefully Matt gets it fixed up soon.

matt

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:21:48 pm »
This'll all be fixed this week for sure. I'll update this thread when I get it done.

matt

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:24:37 am »
Updated!

I added the years back to 1972 on both create and edit.
Updated create to included release dates properly.
Updated create to included box text properly.

pacpix

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 10:11:59 am »
Cool, thanks Matt!

matt

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 10:53:30 am »
Next step - fixing devs and publishers!

I'm scared.

scott

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 06:44:21 pm »
Not sure if it's related to the date fix... but I was putting in some comics and item numbers and barcodes don't seem to be working now on submitted items. Not sure on edits though.