Author Topic: Wild Arms?  (Read 1388 times)

Wild Arms?
« on: October 16, 2013, 11:32:10 pm »
Wild Arms is a series I've been curious about for awhile, but for some reason, I've yet to play even one of them. The general consensus seems to be that the first game (original release, not the remake) is the best one, but what do you guys think of the rest of the series, especially 3, 4, and 5? Roughly speaking, are any of them on the level of other classic PS2 JRPGs like Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Persona 3?

scott

Re: Wild Arms?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:59:38 pm »
I wish I was of some help. But I only played Wild Arms 2 when I was a kid and admittedly didn't get very far before I gave it back to my cousin. I remember really liking it, but I can't give a review of it, since that was ages ago.

I do have 2-4 but haven't had time to play them. Though I will eventually get 1 and 5 to finish off the set.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

ffxik

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:25:58 am »
If your not worried about graphics then I say go for it.  Wild ARMs is an classic JRPG that really shouldn't be compared to Shadow Hearts or Persona but more a kin to a game that Tri Ace would have developed.

I would say if your going to play Wild ARMs get the original.  Wild ARMs: Alter Code F on the PS2 is not as good as some of the game has been altered for the worst.  They experiment a lot with the game mechanics in future releases and some aren't as good as others but all in all it is a solid series.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:57:52 pm »
I only ever played the first one, but I really enjoyed it.  Neat mechanics, awesome music.  Good stuff.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:02:11 pm »
Well, at least I know the first one is good :p

I'm thinking at some point, I'll just grab that one and Wild Arms 3, which also seems relatively good. Dig the art style, too.

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:07:48 pm »
I played Wild Arms 3 (quite a while ago) and it's really good, I enjoy it quite a lot. 4 and 5 were quite bad in comparison.

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 12:33:46 am »
The first one I played was Wild Arms 3 and immediately fell in love with the art style (not even that crazy about Western themes in general).  Not just the character design and such, but you'll see some interesting things that they do with some of the RPG fights to make them more action-packed.  I also liked how they introduce each of the characters and what their unique traits are.  There are also puzzles in some levels for you to solve.  Not sure what I can compare 3 to, but I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

I haven't played the others, though I own the first one on PSN and XF on PSP.  Have also heard that Alter Code F is terrible, so I've avoided it so far.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 05:40:52 pm »
Well, at least I know the first one is good :p

I'm thinking at some point, I'll just grab that one and Wild Arms 3, which also seems relatively good. Dig the art style, too.
Reviving this post because I just want to hear feedback, hopefully positive, from you about one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

How did you enjoy the original Wild Arms?  I want to get Wild Arms 3 also, but my obsessive compulsion makes me want to get Wild Arms 2 for the sake of NUMBERED continuity...  Even though they're not really sequels of each other.

I'll just stay with the first one and will NEVER touch Wild Arms: Alter Code F.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 12:17:28 am »
I wish I could say! I had to start tapering off pretty heavily on spending near the start of this month, and am currently trying to get a bit of a surplus built up again, so not too many games coming in, and I had to cancel my PS4 pre-order. The bulk of my "old-school" collecting right now is focused on PS1 and PS2 stuff though, so I'm sure it won't be too long before I'm able to grab Wild Arms :)