Author Topic: AV Switcher  (Read 1790 times)

AV Switcher
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:39:55 pm »
What switchers are you using?

I'm looking for a decent one with lots of inputs, that has IR control, so it can be universal remote'd.

Any suggestions?

And/or, should I not bother with the IR control.

scott

Re: AV Switcher
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:50:21 pm »
Are you looking for HDMI, Component, or Composite/Svideo?

I use a cheap GameStop branded Composite hub with 4 ports on it, that Matt gave me years ago. It works pretty nice, but you have to press buttons on top of it to change inputs. That's not a huge deal though, cause none of the consoles that are hooked up to it can be turned on/off remotely anyway.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:55:07 pm »
Hm, that's a solid point about having to turn the consoles on manually.

I'm looking for:
4 Svideo
3 Component
1 composite

and 5 HDMI.

But I will probably get a separate switcher for HDMI.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:31 pm »
the only AV switches I've used have been for composite
the only IR AV switch I used was from Intec and I would not recommend that one at all I was Constantly noticing problems with the Video Feed. since then I've just been using a basic AV switch from GE.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »
For composite/S-video I use two of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-4-Way-AV-Switcher-With-S-Video/3312963 daisy chained together which gives me a total of seven CVBS/S-video inputs. A good thing about these is that they don't have any of the jacks on the front of it like so many do.

For component I just use two of these cheap switches which you can get on ebay/amazon for a couple bucks each. One for the component video signal the other for audio.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 05:59:31 pm by thecrypticodor »

soera

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:51:48 am »
I cant say that Ive ever seen an HDMI switcher. I use one I found at a thrift store.

scott

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:01:33 am »
I've seen HDMI switchers in the electronics department of a few different stores. And it was remote controlled too.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 03:23:19 pm »
I got one of these a few years ago:

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?archive=true&pathId=3&modelId=MODL003020

A JVC JX-S700 switcher. It's got seven inputs and four outputs, supports S-Video and Composite - and can convert one to the other. It's PERFECT for older systems and since it runs on electricity there's absolutely no interference or signal loss, and if you like recording stuff the extra outputs really help.

I'm not sure how much these cost now but mine was $60 after shipping four years back. It was worth it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:24:52 pm by foxhack »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »
I just use the ones at Big Lots that go for just a few bucks. You have to use a manual switch, but it works, and it's much cheaper than what Best Buy or Radio Shack wants for the expensive boxes. I don't have an HD T.V., though, so it probably wouldn't work for most of you. But for those of you still rocking the CRTs, they work just fine.

Just like thecrypticoder posted (except mine are all black, so not so Fisher-Price looking as the one below).

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:09:35 pm by burningdoom »

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 10:26:36 pm »
I use two Psyclone PSC01 component switches on my setup. They also support composite and s-video (I have everything hooked up to s-video). Both units are then fed to two inputs on my AVR allowing me easy, one-touch access to eight systems through my Logitech Harmony remote.

For HDMI switching, check out monoprice.com. I've deployed their stuff for several home theater installations and use several of their switches, splitters and extenders at work.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:29:00 pm by dstone »