Author Topic: Throwing away infected classic consoles  (Read 13386 times)

90snostalga

Throwing away infected classic consoles
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:25:38 am »
So not sure if this was smart or not but a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a PlayStation 1 console with the controller and cords at my good will.  I don't have one so I thought it would be great because I hate playing all my ps1 games on my ps2.  I want to save the lens as much as possible.  So i get home, tested it out, and it worked perfect!  I like to clean my consoles when I first them before setting them up.  So I unscrewed it to take it apart and clean the inside.  OMG!  You will not believe what I seen in there.  It was horrific!!!   >:(  About 10 dead roaches and roach stuff that it grossed me out.  I attempted to clean because I wanted the system, but after 2 minutes, I said screw it and I double bagged it and threw it away.  Has anyone has this experience, and would you recommend the best to throw it away or take the time to clean it?  I do not know if I have the patience for something like that.  I thought if I got them up as much as possible it would be fine but I could not risk a breeding nest.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences...

Re: Throwing away infected classic consoles
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 05:36:26 am »
That is pretty disgusting. I'm not sure what I would do, if you want to, you can clean it, but I can't imagine cockroaches being inside my console, that is a gross thought.

matt

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:07:50 am »
As someone who used to work at FuncoLand way back in the day...I've seen in all. We used to have to turn down trade-ins simply because they were so filthy. Like...so bad I couldn't even imagine what the home looked like.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:17:31 am »
Playstation's aren't rare (or expensive) by any stretch of the imagination, there's no way I'd try to clean something that filthy either.

I remember one customer being surprised that I refused to accept his games for trade in when he pulled them out of his underwear right in front of me - and another who said "Oh don't worry about that mark, it's just some rat excrement (turned out from his pet rat) :o

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:52:36 am »
 :-[  too early in the morning to read about this stuff   :'(
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

brunauss

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 12:25:32 pm »
:-[  too early in the morning to read about this stuff   :'(

ROFL, this thread is just the right dash of humor I needed about the perils of video game collecting. This being too early in the mourning to read is like icing on that cake.

*picks self off floor and smirks at glaring roommate, after clearing throat*

On a more serious note, one of my consoles was in the same shape and with patience got it back in running condition again. Patience and lots of sterilized hot water. Not scotch tape.

OK, I started laughing again.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 12:37:25 pm »
Not scotch tape.

Haha, this reminded me of the crazy things people decide to do with books at our library.  All sorts of weird/bad makeshift bookmarks and "repairs."
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 01:03:33 pm »
It shows character, lol.

I can sympathize, though. I live in an apartment complex. We used to have a very large Mexican family living in a small apartment below us. When they moved out, their cockroaches moved into our apartment. It was a helluva battle for like a month and half to get those bastards out. We tried all kinds of stuff, until we finally got this stuff that was like caulk you'd put in the corners of walls, and that did the trick.

I once walked in the kitchen in the middle of the night while that was going on, and flipped on the light, and saw a swarm of them scurry away. So disgusting. I ate out until we got rid of them after that. I still wash my dishes as soon as I'm done eating because of that horrible nightmare.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:07:34 pm by burningdoom »

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:04 pm »
my odyssey 2 came with a spider web and a dead spider,i cleaned it out because i payed $50

soera

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »
Is there any brown sauce in the system? If no, then its worth salvaging! Just take it outside and get a can of compressed air and blow the thing out then reassemble it.

As far as pulling the games out of underwear to sell them ... I have to try that myself now.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 03:00:16 pm »
Is there any brown sauce in the system? If no, then its worth salvaging! Just take it outside and get a can of compressed air and blow the thing out then reassemble it.

As far as pulling the games out of underwear to sell them ... I have to try that myself now.

Brown sauce is salvageable, too. I just got a copy of OutRun with some mysterious brown sauce dried onto it. A little rubbing alcohol and a paper towel took it right off.

Anything can clean up well, if you take the time. I would have with the PS1. The $20 spent for another one, could have been spent on a game for the PS1.

I would have taken it outside to do it, though. No need to risk spreading cockroach eggs in your house.

htimreimer

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 03:05:38 pm »

Brown sauce is salvageable, too. I just got a copy of OutRun with some mysterious brown sauce dried onto it. A little rubbing alcohol and a paper towel took it right off.

Anything can clean up well, if you take the time. I would have with the PS1. The $20 spent for another one, could have been spent on a game for the PS1.

I would have taken it outside to do it, though. No need to risk spreading cockroach eggs in your house.
brown sauce is barely salvageable when it burns a hole in the label

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:38:21 pm »

Definately, take it outside and you can get rid of a lot using canned air.

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 05:18:23 pm »

... I wouldn't let anything with the sauce touch other things. It's mold. Alcohol may wipe off some stuff, but it won't get rid of everything...

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 05:31:15 pm »
 ;D This has been hillarious!  Here goes the brown sauce again lol.  The brown sauce will never die will it  :)

My ATari 2600 that came in, only had one minny spider web in it and a little dirt.  That was fine.  I took it apart and cleaned till like new.  Same for my Famicom.  Famicom only had a few dust balls in it.  Clean as new.  But the playstation just about made me threw up.  I can't handle it had to get rid of it.  As a kid, we lived in the projects and had roaches everywhere!  Disgusting!  I just cannot go back to that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:33:09 pm by 90snostalga »