Author Topic: Who else hates GameStop??!!  (Read 2992 times)

soera

Re: Who else hates GameStop??!!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 09:39:44 pm »
Thats me. I dont go to Gamestop unless its something I have no other legitimate option of getting (Xenoblade for example or the Jolly Bumble  Blast Swap force figure that was "supposed" to be a GS exclusive that I have now also seen at Wal-mart and Toys R us).

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 10:03:28 pm »
I don't hate them, but I don't go very often anymore. I do like to check out their sales at times, (some are fairly decent), and I did recently buy a new PS3 there, mostly because because no one else in the area had the one I wanted, (250gb Uncharted 3 super slim bundle, mostly for that year of PS+).

The new game that is opened policy is stupid, but I only buy new games there if they are factory sealed. I don't do preorders there anymore, I use amazon now for that.

I miss Funcoland.

matt

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 09:50:43 am »
After working there for far too long back in my younger days - I'll never shop there and haven't stepped foot in one in years. It has nothing to do with their business tactics and everything to do with how they treat there employees.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 09:28:47 pm »
The GameStop stores I frequent have been pretty good, aside from minor bad experiences that are nowhere in the league with yours.  I have 2-4 stores that are within 10 miles away from me and most bad experiences were tired expressions from employees who dealt with previous, maybe even worse, customers.  If I didn't want to go to GameStop, there was Target and also discovered a local Washington store called Retro Games.

Worst experience I had was when a previous store manager assured me that the Valkyria Chronicles art book would be available for people who pre-order.  When I picked up the game, the store manager had been reassigned to another store and the associate told me that supplies were very limited.  I was saddened that my Valkyria Chronicles came a bit short.  Still an awesomely amazing game, true, but the reason I pre-order games was to get something a little extra.  Nothing wrong with that since it was a GameStop-endorsed promo, right?  There was also another time with Okami and the supposed Buddha board pre-order issue.

Still, these issues are nowhere near to what I've read here and hopefully for those members, they could find some store they could find amazing as I do with my nearby GameStop, Washington-local Retro Games, and certain pawn shops.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

htimreimer

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 01:23:33 am »
here in canada we have EB games which is owned by gamestop and just like any other store out there, an EB games is only good if the employees are any good and unfortunately, the video game industry attracts a lot of D-bags

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 02:15:11 pm »
I skipped most of the OP, since I'm derped out on coffee and scrambled eggs, but I generally refuse to shop at GS. I have the same gripe with them that I do with Guitar Center, which is that they routinely sell really obviously used product as new, and carry very little in the way of more 'niche' items, or do so only in extremely limited numbers.

The last time I did a pre-order with them, they tried to charge my card and it declined because an address update I made several months prior never took, and instead of notifying me, correcting it, and re-attempting, they just did nothing for 2 weeks and didn't say a word.

htimreimer

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 03:12:58 pm »
I skipped most of the OP, since I'm derped out on coffee and scrambled eggs, but I generally refuse to shop at GS. I have the same gripe with them that I do with Guitar Center, which is that they routinely sell really obviously used product as new, and carry very little in the way of more 'niche' items, or do so only in extremely limited numbers.

The last time I did a pre-order with them, they tried to charge my card and it declined because an address update I made several months prior never took, and instead of notifying me, correcting it, and re-attempting, they just did nothing for 2 weeks and didn't say a word.
i'm so sorry, lets just hope those employees got fired

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 12:02:01 am »
I love this scummy corporate store. Because for every negative, there has always been a positive for me. One of course being, most smaller towns do not have independent establishments anymore, especially ones that could pacify a compulsive collector such as myself. Secondly, I've saved probably thousands by the time you add up the discounts and the relatively small tax in place of shipping fees. I'd honestly have a much harder way to go if it weren't for GameStop. But you've got to be sharp when you shop there. It's almost a science, and I've nearly mastered it.

I buy mostly used games at these stores, and I'm inside of them at least 3 times per week checking the stock, the prices, etc. Most of the staff at my stores have become familiar with me, and are more than willing to look out for my interests. If not, I just state exactly what I'm after. When buying a new copy, I always ask if they have any sealed ones left. If they swap out a used display for another I make sure to ask for the original print, the best condition one, or to make sure it's got a manual, and they don't mind doing that.

GS is part of my addiction. I'd buy from other stores, if they existed, and were at all competitive in product or service. Fact is most of my brick and mortar purchases comes from GS and Kmart.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 02:22:53 am »
I have a little GS hate to throw out there. My brother gave me a "new" copy of Wonderful 101 for Christmas. My wife had already gotten me a copy. Now, I'm stuck with 2 open copies of a game that I can't return. Bullshit, sir. I cry bullshit.

90snostalga

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 04:36:00 pm »
I have one secondary manager at my local game stop that is slowly trying to recover my game stop faith.  But I have another problem with them.  All in December I bought system wise:  xbox 360 with connect pre owned, ps3 gtav edition brand new, and a nintendo wii u.  I won't mention all the games.  I bought that what im going to call stupid so far 15.00 card for points.  Well, I only have points for my Wii U!  They still have not given me points for my ps3 system!  The 360 and connect, they gave me 2100 points, but then 2 days after purchase, they are subtracted from my account with no reason.  The agents at the store say they have no idea why they are removed and they say the ps3 was scanned under my card and that the points should be there and that I should call the 800 number and/or email customer care.  I have emailed them several times with no reply over 5 days now.   I'll have to call but the problems is, I only have a limited number of minutes on a pre paid phone so I cannot sit on the phone for long.  I usually limit my calls to under 2 minutes to keep my minutes active for the whole month.

So, one person is being very nice and checking up on the issues, but still, its always something with game stop

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 12:58:45 pm »
I have not shopped there since probably 2010. I have rarely ever had good experiences with them and as a company I find them to be deplorable. Most of the Gamestop employees in my area fall into the category of Dudebro gamer or RPG snob (I have nothing against RPGs or people who play them, just people who feel the need to one up someone on their knowledge of a particular game or put down someone else for the games they like). I also never liked being badgered with pre order offers, protection plans, magazine subscriptions and the like whenever I went to the register to check out. I know the employees have to do this, but no means no, and they simply do not get it. Like some have mentioned on here, their policy of selling opened games as new is complete BS, and a total scam imo. Luckily I have many alternatives, much better ones, to Gamestop in my area and happily give my money to their competition.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 02:40:09 pm »
I miss Funcoland.

Me too. It made collecting so much easier. They had games for every system imaginable, and often times they'd be able to order games for you from other stores.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »
I just found a couple of inserts from NES games I bought from funcoland.  It made me smile, and I remembered the old newspaper(for lack of a better term) that listed all of their games with prices.  :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 10:49:25 pm »
I just found a couple of inserts from NES games I bought from funcoland.  It made me smile, and I remembered the old newspaper(for lack of a better term) that listed all of their games with prices.  :)

What initially drew me in, before we ever had a local FuncoLand in our town, was the ads in the comic books. They'd have a huge list of like the top 30 games for each system at the time dating back to Atari 2600 up to the current (Genesis, NES, SNES, Sega CD, TG-16). On the list would be their Used Price, their Buy Price, and their Trade-In Value. At first, I ordered some NES games through the mail because the used prices were fantastic considering my only source of games at the time was rentals, Toys 'R Us, or K-Mart. Then shortly after we got a FuncoLand store in our town!