Author Topic: SNES won't turn on?  (Read 4624 times)

SNES won't turn on?
« on: January 03, 2014, 05:31:50 pm »
I don't get it. I 2 Super Nintendos, and 2 power supplies. I have tried both power supplies with each console, and they won't turn on (the red light doesn't flash either.) Does anyone know what's wrong with it?

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: SNES won't turn on?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:38:12 pm »
I don't get it. I 2 Super Nintendos, and 2 power supplies. I have tried both power supplies with each console, and they won't turn on (the red light doesn't flash either.) Does anyone know what's wrong with it?

I'm going to ask a dumb question.

Are they plugged in? 
If they're plugged into power strip, that could be your culprit. It's odd that 2 very dependable systems have the very same problem. I'd try a different outlet.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:40:59 pm »

Are they plugged in? 
If they're plugged into power strip, that could be your culprit. It's odd that 2 very dependable systems have the very same problem. I'd try a different outlet.

Yes, they're both plugged in. Are you saying that it's the power bar, and I should plug it directly into the wall?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:15:56 pm »

Are they plugged in? 

Yes, they're both plugged in. Are you saying that it's the power bar, and I should plug it directly into the wall?

Yeah, try plugging them into the wall. If that doesn't work, I'd try them on a different part of the house.  If they still don't work, I'd say they're busted. You'll have to find someone that can fix them.

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:51:27 pm »
if they still don't work, open them up and see how dirty they are, dust,bugs, cigarette residue, food and anything else that wasn't put in the snes when it was made, can cause the issues you are having

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:28:55 pm »
It's the 1.5 amp pico fuse I would lay money on it.  Tear the system down and if you look in the back left if the console is facing you.  There should be a rectangle cut out of the board.  In this cutaway is a black cylinder-ish thing bridging the gap.  That is your fuse.  To test the fuse leave the top off and plug the power supply in and power on the console.  Next take a piece of wire and bridge the connection bypassing the fuse. 

It should go without saying to be VERY careful here you can get electrocuted, this is dangerous. 

If your system powers on then it's just a matter of replacing the fuse.  If not then try another power supply.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:54:41 am »
Any word on your SNESs?

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:09:13 am »
ffxik is right, it's most likely the fuse. I've replaced a few SNES fuses over the years. I can do it for you, if you don't feel comfortable doing it. I have a few of those fuses laying around.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:22:37 am »
I tried plugging them into the wall directly, but that didn't work, so evidently it's either the power supplies for the consoles themselves. It's annoying that they both won't turn on. I have never taken apart a game console before, does anyone know of videos that shows how to take apart an NTSC console safely?

htimreimer

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:41:14 am »
this is not video but it will help www.ifixit.com/Device/Super_Nintendo

tpugmire

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 05:34:19 pm »
It's just six screws, nothing too complicated. You will need a special bit to remove the screws though. Once you get the top of the case off, you should be able to see everything you need.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 12:34:17 am »
bust out a multimeter and test the power brick while you are at it.