Author Topic: Question of the Month for January 2014  (Read 3622 times)

soera

Re: Question of the Month for January 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 12:22:32 pm »
speaking of ebay sellers, don't you love how they slap the word rare on every fucken game they sell as if it matters

This is an enormous pet peeve of mine, especially when you take into account that 98% of all games would never fall into the genuinely "rare" category no matter how you spin it. Even a game like Panzer Dragoon Saga which received a print run of about 30k copies I think is pushing it slightly. Valuable maybe, but not rare. It's especially annoying when "rare" is attached to anything with Mario, Zelda, Sonic or any other popular video game franchise. Even Price Charting is guilty of arbitrarily branding many games as rare when they are not at all.

Truth.

I remember FF VII prices being pretty inflated some years back & tagged as "rare" -and- there were only what...7 - 10 *Million* copies sold, or something  :o

Yeah I remember that. At one time FF VII and Legend of Dragoon were the 2 most expensive PS1 games to find on Ebay. I can name a place right now in my area that has at least 10 complete copies of FF VII for $35 each.

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 02:56:29 pm »
speaking of ebay sellers, don't you love how they slap the word rare on every fucken game they sell as if it matters

I just happened to run across this guy on ebay mikefarrar7: Check out his listings:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mikefarrar7/m.html?item=370977066280&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Not everything is rare, some things are mega-rare, or ultra-rare, or in some cases ULTRA-MEGA-RARE!!!!!

bobster

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 03:50:43 pm »

I just happened to run across this guy on ebay mikefarrar7: Check out his listings:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mikefarrar7/m.html?item=370977066280&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Not everything is rare, some things are mega-rare, or ultra-rare, or in some cases ULTRA-MEGA-RARE!!!!!

That is so terrible!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »

This is an enormous pet peeve of mine, especially when you take into account that 98% of all games would never fall into the genuinely "rare" category no matter how you spin it. Even a game like Panzer Dragoon Saga which received a print run of about 30k copies I think is pushing it slightly. Valuable maybe, but not rare. It's especially annoying when "rare" is attached to anything with Mario, Zelda, Sonic or any other popular video game franchise. Even Price Charting is guilty of arbitrarily branding many games as rare when they are not at all.

Truth.

I remember FF VII prices being pretty inflated some years back & tagged as "rare" -and- there were only what...7 - 10 *Million* copies sold, or something  :o

Yeah I remember that. At one time FF VII and Legend of Dragoon were the 2 most expensive PS1 games to find on Ebay. I can name a place right now in my area that has at least 10 complete copies of FF VII for $35 each.

A couple of week ago I found a black label FFVII at used media store and one of the employees tried arguing that the game was rare just because it "goes for over $100 on Ebay!" I told him to recheck Ebay and the definition of rare seeing how the game was a best seller and sold millions worldwide. The guy is also a clueless reseller that usually snags all the decent games before customers have a chance to get them, but that is another can of worms.

90snostalga

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 07:11:27 am »

I will say this seller has a lot of great sets for sale but the Ultra rare tag is funny  ;D  He might as well sell Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for NES and slap it with a "ONLY 10 COPIES MADE ULTRA RARE GAME!" or something.  Crazy crazy.

But the blue ps1 is interesting.  I never heard of a blue ps1.  Did they really make these, or did he paint a ps1 and make it up?

bobster

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 08:35:35 am »
I will say this seller has a lot of great sets for sale but the Ultra rare tag is funny  ;D  He might as well sell Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for NES and slap it with a "ONLY 10 COPIES MADE ULTRA RARE GAME!" or something.  Crazy crazy.

But the blue ps1 is interesting.  I never heard of a blue ps1.  Did they really make these, or did he paint a ps1 and make it up?
Yeah that's a thing. That one looks legit too. Some people will paint one themselves and try and pass it off as the real thing lol.

soera

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 09:58:26 am »
Its a debug unit. They arent very common and usually sell for a high price.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 04:20:10 am »
Ooh.  Now I want one.  For a decent price, of course.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »
Ooh.  Now I want one.  For a decent price, of course.
An ultra mega rare price.

I'm trying to determine the hierarchy.

Obviously
RARE is the most common, and ULTRA MEGA RARE is the least common, but in between is a little murky.  What is rarer, Ultra, or mega rare?

A little comparative analysis:

So what is more rare: Astal(Saturn) in very good condition, or Conquest of the world(Odyssey2)

House of the dead(Saturn) or IN-THE-BOX VINTAGE BALLY ASTROCADE ARCADE EXPANDABLE COMPUTER
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 12:30:38 pm by mkarasch »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 09:15:41 pm »
I loath the popularity of our hobby. I liked it better back a few years ago when people were throwing carts out. Now days there are tons of people with more money than sense in our world. People will drop hundreds on bad games. To be honest, if I get close to a full set; I'll drop $600 on Flintstones. It'll happen, but I don't like it.
The popularity has brought vipers into it too. I'm not talking about people that grab that extra Mega Man for trade bait. I'm talking about assholes that buy up games with no love. They search and search for the $5 Castlevania just to try to sell if for $20. He has no intention of keeping it or even playing it. Does he know that Metal Storm is an awesome, but overlooked game?  Hell no.   He just looked it up on eBay an saw a BIN of $75. Eff that guy and all the ones like him.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 09:42:06 pm »
I loath the popularity of our hobby. I liked it better back a few years ago when people were throwing carts out. Now days there are tons of people with more money than sense in our world. People will drop hundreds on bad games. To be honest, if I get close to a full set; I'll drop $600 on Flintstones. It'll happen, but I don't like it.
The popularity has brought vipers into it too. I'm not talking about people that grab that extra Mega Man for trade bait. I'm talking about assholes that buy up games with no love. They search and search for the $5 Castlevania just to try to sell if for $20. He has no intention of keeping it or even playing it. Does he know that Metal Storm is an awesome, but overlooked game?  Hell no.   He just looked it up on eBay an saw a BIN of $75. Eff that guy and all the ones like him.

could not agree more

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:53 pm »
Now, I need to throw a disclaimer out there.

I love the popularity of our hobby because places like VGCollect.com and RetrowareTV.com exist. In fact, I'm starting a new topic. Stand by for a positive thread.

bobster

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 03:42:15 pm »
Now, I need to throw a disclaimer out there.

I love the popularity of our hobby because places like VGCollect.com and RetrowareTV.com exist. In fact, I'm starting a new topic. Stand by for a positive thread.
I'm loving your optimism! It is nice to have a community to be a part of.