Author Topic: handheld consoles  (Read 6528 times)

90snostalga

handheld consoles
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:07:42 am »
I want to build up my hand held console's this year after I get a Star wars 360 that i'm saving up for.  So I plan to get the 3DS for sure, but lots of users here keep mentioning the neo geo pocket color.  This is a hand held I never knew anything about until I came to this site.  And I still don't know too much in detail about the psp and ps vita.  Can anyone give me some reasons to buy a ps vita, psp and neo geo pocket?  Are there any good games on the neo geo that are not 2d fighting?

Re: handheld consoles
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:57:43 am »
Oh man, I love anything SNK/Neo geo, so for the pocket color, it does have a lot of amazing 2d fighters but there are some pretty good RPG's and puzzle games as well, SNK vs Capcom: Card fighters is a pokemon style game, not too sure if you'll like it if you don't know a lot of Capcom and SNK fighting game characters but still cool games, crush roller is a fun puzzle ,arcade classic game, Bust-a-move is fun. From what I've heard Beast Busters is an awesome RPG as well as both Dive Alert games, and pretty much all the SNK sports games are cool... Pocket Tennis, Neo Turf Masters and Baseball Stars Color. If you do plan on getting one, definitely get some of the fighting games as well, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, The Last Blade, SNK vs Capcom... And I cant forget the two AMAZING Metal Slug games, absolutely fantastic arcade run n gun games
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:59:29 am by kingrat101 »

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:46:06 am »
I never had a neo geo pocket, in fact I never played a neo geo itself so no experience with that (I know is snk so there is king of fighter etc etc). However I have psp, ps vita and 3ds. If you want to buy one of this 3, go ahead and buy the psp because at this time are really cheap. I found most of my games at pawnshops between $1-$5 bucks so this is the "low price season" for this console because the vita is there. So for why you will get a psp? well, if you like rpg games this is your console. There are crimson gem saga, brave story (the best rpg on the system), hexzy force, wild arms, monster hunter (1 and 2), star ocean (1 and 2), kingdom hearts, y's (i think there are 3 games), lunar (I think there are 2 games), class of heroes, God eater, phantasy star, etc. If you like metal gear games there are like 4 games, also the god of war series is there too (2 games), power stone collection, ghost and goblin, in fact there are a tons of games that you can choose. And the best part of the psp is that you can easily mod it and play games from your memory stick, so you can buy the games that you only want to collect and download the other ones to play them. There are 4 models of the psp, I suggest  to buy the old models (1000, 2000 or 3000) not the go because the psp go doesnt have the umd port to play the games and the memory stick is a newer one (m2 I think) so is a little more expensive to buy it (the memory stick itself), For the 3ds you also dont will get wrong to buy it because is a excellent console (see my collection and there is the best game to the console), the vita you can hold up, there are like 3-5 good games but isnt worth to buy one at this time.

karyann

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:56:49 am »
NGPC
The neo geo pocket color is an awesome handheld! The clicky joystick is definitely too fun to use (the day where you'll hold one in your hands, you will understand, haha. The way it clicks when you move it is just...fun). I don't own a lot of games for it yet, but they're great. The only reason why I don't have more games right now is that it's a more obscure console here so I can only find games online, and since my budget is tight I try not to order stuff online. If you don't mind having cartridges only, it doesn't cost too much to collect for either, from what I know.

PSP
As xstonekinghtx mentioned, PSPs are pretty cheap right now, and if you love RPGs, there's a big library of them! Games are mostly cheap, but RPGs tend to cost more on this handheld in my experience.

VITA
I don't own one yet, so I can't speak from experience - but I'm already buying Vita games when I find them for cheap because it looks neat, so I'll buy it someday. The only reasons I don't own a Vita yet are that the hardware costs too much for me right now, AND the memory cards cost incredible prices too. Otherwise, there are many games that look great.

3DS
If you want a current gen handheld that won't cost a lot, take a go for the 3DS. The library is already really strong and growing a lot, and there's a lot of variety in genres. The Nintendo DS is my favourite system, and the 3DS follows really close.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand now you made me want to order a bunch of NGPC games haha  :)

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »
Don't forget about the 2DS if cost might be an issue, and you don't care about the 3D ... or how you'd look in public ;)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:00:15 pm »
Don't forget about the 2DS if cost might be an issue, and you don't care about the 3D ... or how you'd look in public ;)

The 2DS really is pretty stupid looking. I'll play a GBP in public all day long, but I'd never bust that thing out at all. haha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:11:36 pm »
I thought no one would ever want to hold a tablet up in public to take pictures, but man... people definitely do that.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 06:03:14 pm »
Thats for sure. 2DS looks better than tablets.

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 06:30:32 am »
Okay.  You guys have certainly helped persuade me.  3DS is something I certainly getting as soon as I can rack up 200 for it.  PSP is on my list because it seems it has a massive library.  Neo Geo I'm not sold on any games yet, but on the fact that it appears to be an underground legend or so per say.  I've got to get one to say I have one, and then I'll try to find what games are good on it.  The Vita?   >:( Thumbs down.   1.  You cant play physical PSP games on it.  2.  Lack of good games.  It seems pointless to me at this point.  My little brother has a 2DS and I do not like the design.  He loves it but that's because he is 12 years old too lol.

One thing I am not liking tho' about newer systems is the download games thing.  I was looking at the Zelda 3DS bundle last night at the store, I looked at the Mario Kart 3DS bundle, and the Mario Kart it said is a built in installed game and Zelda, like the Wii U Windwaker unfortunately, is a download code.  I hate that.   I want the physical copy of the game.  What if I beat the installed Mario Kart and I don't want to play it for another 2 months, or 3 years or so?  I may end up deleting it to conserve memory and then have to re buy it or something.   But that's why I love everyone's opinions because when I sit at the store pondering, I re-think all these posts to help my decisions.  :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:38:51 am »

One thing I am not liking tho' about newer systems is the download games thing.  I was looking at the Zelda 3DS bundle last night at the store, I looked at the Mario Kart 3DS bundle, and the Mario Kart it said is a built in installed game and Zelda, like the Wii U Windwaker unfortunately, is a download code.  I hate that.   I want the physical copy of the game.  What if I beat the installed Mario Kart and I don't want to play it for another 2 months, or 3 years or so?  I may end up deleting it to conserve memory and then have to re buy it or something.   But that's why I love everyone's opinions because when I sit at the store pondering, I re-think all these posts to help my decisions.  :)

I bought the Mario Kart 3DS XL.  It's saved on an SD card.  If you run out of room, get a new SD card.  I don't see me running out of room very soon. 
Now, me being me; I'm going to buy a physical copy of Mario Kart as soon as I find a cheap one.  I'm weird like that though. 

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:19 pm »
I hear you about the memory card thing... I had a hard time downloading the Bravely Default demo last night because I ran out of space.  I guess I could delete the games that are on there currently, but I'm always afraid that I'll forget to and that they will no longer be available in the eShop down the road.  Guess it's time to pick up a memory card...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

karyann

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 02:32:52 pm »
The good thing with the 3DS is that if you run out of memory on your SD card, it's really cheap to buy a new one. It's annoying to not know which card has the save, but at least you may not lose the saves. The vita memory cards, on the other hand, cost so much that I don't think I would want to have to buy more than one  :-\

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »
The good thing with the 3DS is that if you run out of memory on your SD card, it's really cheap to buy a new one. It's annoying to not know which card has the save, but at least you may not lose the saves. The vita memory cards, on the other hand, cost so much that I don't think I would want to have to buy more than one  :-\

Yeah, I almost bought a Vita memory card during the holiday sales - even though I don't even own a Vita! - but figured that they will (hopefully) continue to drop in price slowly.

I think in the new update there was a save-backup feature, but it looks like it might only be for downloaded titles only.  I'm picking up a card from Amazon now... I can deal with $20 for a lot more space for future eShop titles.  In case they continue to refuse to put the new Phoenix Wright out as a physical release, that'll be the next big purchase...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

karyann

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 03:51:16 pm »
Yeah, I almost bought a Vita memory card during the holiday sales - even though I don't even own a Vita! - but figured that they will (hopefully) continue to drop in price slowly.

I think in the new update there was a save-backup feature, but it looks like it might only be for downloaded titles only.  I'm picking up a card from Amazon now... I can deal with $20 for a lot more space for future eShop titles.  In case they continue to refuse to put the new Phoenix Wright out as a physical release, that'll be the next big purchase...

I hate how they try to push people more and more towards digital titles :( I mean, it's great if some people prefer those - I just want to continue buying my physical games too. I'm glad they released New Super Luigi U in a physical form, even a limited quantity. But there seems to be an increasing number of games that only get you coins on your club nintendo account if you buy them digitally, with no code in physical copies. I hope the new Phoenix Wright doesn't start a new trend to release games in digital only  :-\

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »

I hate how they try to push people more and more towards digital titles :( I mean, it's great if some people prefer those - I just want to continue buying my physical games too. I'm glad they released New Super Luigi U in a physical form, even a limited quantity. But there seems to be an increasing number of games that only get you coins on your club nintendo account if you buy them digitally, with no code in physical copies. I hope the new Phoenix Wright doesn't start a new trend to release games in digital only  :-\

Yeah, that Club Nintendo points only for digital version is so annoying...  Feels very biased against those of us who like the tangible product.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas