Author Topic: handheld consoles  (Read 6511 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: handheld consoles
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 04:02:19 pm »
All you can do is speak up with your wallet. Just don't buy digital games. If physical games outsell digital by a good margin, don't look for physical games to go anywhere.

htimreimer

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 04:04:48 pm »
Yeah, I almost bought a Vita memory card during the holiday sales - even though I don't even own a Vita! - but figured that they will (hopefully) continue to drop in price slowly.

I think in the new update there was a save-backup feature, but it looks like it might only be for downloaded titles only.  I'm picking up a card from Amazon now... I can deal with $20 for a lot more space for future eShop titles.  In case they continue to refuse to put the new Phoenix Wright out as a physical release, that'll be the next big purchase...

I hate how they try to push people more and more towards digital titles :( I mean, it's great if some people prefer those - I just want to continue buying my physical games too. I'm glad they released New Super Luigi U in a physical form, even a limited quantity. But there seems to be an increasing number of games that only get you coins on your club nintendo account if you buy them digitally, with no code in physical copies. I hope the new Phoenix Wright doesn't start a new trend to release games in digital only  :-\
its not gonna be a trend, its just capcom desperately trying to kill them selfs

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 04:45:05 pm »
All you can do is speak up with your wallet. Just don't buy digital games. If physical games outsell digital by a good margin, don't look for physical games to go anywhere.

It's a tough call, though, sometimes.  Digital provides smaller titles the chance to reach audiences that publishers wouldn't have wanted to take a chance on.  XBLA did a good start with that and Steam also brings us some great indie items that would never be put out as a retail item (so much of PC items are digital only these days... If they have boxes in the store, it's just a box with a code in it).

But I hear what you're saying.  When there's a choice between digital and physical, I *always* go for physical.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 04:51:38 pm »
The sad simply truth is the big 3 really dont care what us normal consumers want. If they can produce a game digitally and make 90% profit or make the exact same game physically with the exact same retail price as digital and only make 50% profit, the are going to go digital every time. Ive already noticed that almost all the new games now come with a digital manual. I personally like physical copies of stuff too but sometimes there are no other options. :(

90snostalga

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 05:24:46 pm »
I had no idea that Luigi U game is a limited release.  I've got to pick that one up before they become hard to find.

The digital thing all goes in my prediction that the ps4, xbox one and wii u will be the last home console era.  If not, the one after it will be for sure.  But hopefully, it will not be a trend and physical is always an option.  I mean, heck, they said back in 2006 that cds will be obselete and guess what?  They still sell millions of cd's and every year, my family and I buy at least 10 real cds.  My point in cds is that maybe physical will be here for a while

karyann

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 06:09:47 pm »
I had no idea that Luigi U game is a limited release.  I've got to pick that one up before they become hard to find.

The digital thing all goes in my prediction that the ps4, xbox one and wii u will be the last home console era.  If not, the one after it will be for sure.  But hopefully, it will not be a trend and physical is always an option.  I mean, heck, they said back in 2006 that cds will be obselete and guess what?  They still sell millions of cd's and every year, my family and I buy at least 10 real cds.  My point in cds is that maybe physical will be here for a while

Yeah, I hope that physical video games will do like CDs and refuse to die, haha. I'm sure that home consoles will last a long time from now, but I'm not all that sure about physical games though. It's true that it's convenient: you don't have to get out in the cold to wait in line to get/pay for your game, you can have it as soon as midnight hits instead of 8 o'clock the next morning, you don't have to get up to change discs... but even with the good points, we are many who like to look at a pretty game library on shelves! And you can't trade digital games, either. It's harder to find a better deal on digital games, imo (steam doesn't count here).

Oh, and for Luigi U, only the physical version is limited; the digital version will be available without limit. But you'd better grab a physical release soon anyway  :P
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:11:33 pm by karyann »

darko

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 10:59:24 pm »
The Vita is an amazing piece of hardware. I absolutely love mine. Now, to be fair, I've spent more time replaying downloaded PS1 games, but I'm still happy I purchased it.

The 3DS is nice, has a reasonably acceptable library (3DS) and an excellent library (DS), and isn't too hard on the pocket book.

If you're looking for the ultimate handheld, I would get one of these: http://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/gameboy-advance.html

It sounds crazy, but I purchased one last year and I've played it more than any handheld. If you have an SP (and it fits your hands in such a way that makes you actually want to use it) then it might not be worth the price to you. The library on the GBA is freaking awesome.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 02:47:43 am »
As for the argument about Physical Versus Digital Copies Of Video Games, one of the biggest points that is persuading me to buy and start a digital library instead is that manuals are soon to be gone from physical copies.  Although gamers could print the manuals, it's still a waste of ink.  Also, printer ink is expensive.  As much as I still love a physical copy, the game just doesn't feel complete without an actual manual.

As for handhelds, I already have a digital collection for PS Vita.  Now, I'm saving money to get the system.  There are a lot more games available on the PS Vita other than the physical library you see in stores.  When you do get the time to browse around or start using PlayStation Network, I would strongly suggest looking through the libraries as some of them are even Cross-Buy Platforms, albeit limited.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 06:50:50 am »
Oh man, I love anything SNK/Neo geo, so for the pocket color, it does have a lot of amazing 2d fighters but there are some pretty good RPG's and puzzle games as well, SNK vs Capcom: Card fighters is a pokemon style game, not too sure if you'll like it if you don't know a lot of Capcom and SNK fighting game characters but still cool games, crush roller is a fun puzzle ,arcade classic game, Bust-a-move is fun. From what I've heard Beast Busters is an awesome RPG as well as both Dive Alert games, and pretty much all the SNK sports games are cool... Pocket Tennis, Neo Turf Masters and Baseball Stars Color. If you do plan on getting one, definitely get some of the fighting games as well, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, The Last Blade, SNK vs Capcom... And I cant forget the two AMAZING Metal Slug games, absolutely fantastic arcade run n gun games

Question for you Kingrat. I was reading more on the neo geo pocket and I have read there is no backlight for it.  I know me personally, I cannot play the Game boy advance because the screen is too dark.  Is the neo geo pocket color still bright enough to see fine on it?  Can you hook it to a tv or anything?

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 12:09:16 am »
The Vita is an amazing piece of hardware. I absolutely love mine. Now, to be fair, I've spent more time replaying downloaded PS1 games, but I'm still happy I purchased it.

The 3DS is nice, has a reasonably acceptable library (3DS) and an excellent library (DS), and isn't too hard on the pocket book.

If you're looking for the ultimate handheld, I would get one of these: http://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/gameboy-advance.html

It sounds crazy, but I purchased one last year and I've played it more than any handheld. If you have an SP (and it fits your hands in such a way that makes you actually want to use it) then it might not be worth the price to you. The library on the GBA is freaking awesome.

Those GBAs are AWESOME!  The names were hilarious too: Purple Drank.  Classic.

90snostalga

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 06:43:53 am »
Question for any one using a 3DS.  Does the 3D feature on the XL version truly hurt you're eyes?  If so, can the 3D feature be turned off?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 09:31:45 am »
It works better with some games than others. If it's not doing it for you, you can turn it off.

bobster

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 10:29:27 am »
To expand a little further from what Turf said, there's a slider on the top lid that controllers the depth of the 3D effect. You can play with the levels to find a 3D effect that is comfortable for you. Putting the slider all the way down turns it off.

I just bought my first 3DS yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time with it, but the manual implied that the parental controls allow you to lock the 3D effect off as well if that's an issue you need to address for kids.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 02:04:38 pm »
To expand a little further from what Turf said, there's a slider on the top lid that controllers the depth of the 3D effect. You can play with the levels to find a 3D effect that is comfortable for you. Putting the slider all the way down turns it off.

I just bought my first 3DS yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time with it, but the manual implied that the parental controls allow you to lock the 3D effect off as well if that's an issue you need to address for kids.

That is one thing that's annoying. It's cool that we get 3D and it really does make the games look a lot better in many instances. However, it's annoying that you have to have at a certain distance from your face, or else it looks like a double-image. I can only play with the 3D for so long before my arms get tired at that distance, and I have to turn the 3D effect off to keep playing.

90snostalga

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 02:19:51 pm »

That is one thing that's annoying. It's cool that we get 3D and it really does make the games look a lot better in many instances. However, it's annoying that you have to have at a certain distance from your face, or else it looks like a double-image. I can only play with the 3D for so long before my arms get tired at that distance, and I have to turn the 3D effect off to keep playing.

Hmmm...I can watch 3d blu ray movies on my 3d tv with no problem but this has me thinking because you do have to hold the 3ds.  I'm not sure about it now tho'.  I guess I'll just have to try it out and see how it works for me