Author Topic: This sucks for Nintendo  (Read 1172 times)

90snostalga

This sucks for Nintendo
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:37:23 am »
As a fanatic of Sega and Nintendo, I'm on the bandwagon of hoping the Wii U becomes a great success this year with all of Nintendo's first party games but check out this article below.  Nintendo will now lose more money off of 3DS sales:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/nintendo-ordered-pay-portion-every-3ds-sold-another-193937405.html

Re: This sucks for Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 12:29:17 am »
This is really a shame, however just based on the profits Nintendo made off the Wii and DS, they could lose money on every 3DS sold and they'd still be in good financial health.

karyann

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:57:04 am »
Yep, that won't hurt Nintendo a bit, but the principle surrounding the suing is horrible in my opinion. This guy's idea was not even the one kept for the 3DS in the end, and he got money only because he filed a patent that was reaaally vague (if I recall something I read recently, it's along the lines of "a 3D camera that can display pictures on a 3D screen"). Patents really need to have a better guideline of what is acceptable to patent and what isn't.  :-\

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:05:11 am »
Is this final?  Don't you think Nintendo will appeal this to a higher court?  I can't imagine that this will stand, unless they ripped him off in every detail.  Anyone could come up with the idea of a 3D camera.  It's two 2D cameras placed apart about the same width as eyes. People have been doing stereoscopic images for years.  Hell, my old viewmaster I had when I was a kid used similar technology.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:48:53 am »
Is this final?  Don't you think Nintendo will appeal this to a higher court?  I can't imagine that this will stand, unless they ripped him off in every detail.  Anyone could come up with the idea of a 3D camera.  It's two 2D cameras placed apart about the same width as eyes. People have been doing stereoscopic images for years.  Hell, my old viewmaster I had when I was a kid used similar technology.
It's not just 3d, it's motion detection as well depending on the position you move the handheld.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 12:41:21 am »
Is this the same person who works for Sony?  My brother informed me about Nintendo's copyright infringement of someone who works at Sony.

As for the overall, though...  I don't think Nintendo needs to worry about the 3DS since it garners sales.  The worry should be placed on the Wii U as it's staggering.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

karyann

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:59:38 am »
Is this the same person who works for Sony?  My brother informed me about Nintendo's copyright infringement of someone who works at Sony.

As for the overall, though...  I don't think Nintendo needs to worry about the 3DS since it garners sales.  The worry should be placed on the Wii U as it's staggering.

Yep, it's the guy who worked for Sony.