Author Topic: Another Wii U stat  (Read 7243 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Another Wii U stat
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 07:38:00 pm »
I think the idea he's sin2beta is getting at is having the 3DS replace the gamepad as the controller.  Nintendo could sell a "3DS Owners Bundle" where they include the circle pad pro and charge $100 less. If the connectivity is possible, I think it's an awesome idea. Then, if the customer wants, offer a $100 gamepad.  Not a bad plan, if they can get the connectivity down. Will it help?  I don't know.

Personally, the Wii wasn't my favorite system. It had some fun games, but the gimmick controls wore on me.  This time around, I found myself not really worried about what Microsoft and Sony are doing. I don't have time or energy for a. 100+ hour cinematic masterpiece. I just want games; fun, easy to play games.  Mario Bros U? Yep. Mario 3D World? You bet. Sonic Lost Worlds? Yeah. I've been playing Assassins Creed IV (Which is shaping up to be great), but I more often than not turn my WiiU on. Hell, I play Skylanders more than play anything on my XBox 360.

My tastes are changing. I'm afraid they're more in line with a 10 year old's taste. Other people may think that realistic graphics and "grownup" game play is the bee's knees, bug I just want fun. Nintendo can still do that.

Fun is fun is fun. I don't care if it's bright colors and cartoony or dark and gritty.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 10:28:52 pm »
The best advice I've heard for Nintendo is to sell the WiiU without the Gamepad. Nintendo states this is $100 dollars of the cost. So, here are the benefits:
WiiU $199

You're forgetting that retailers take an even bigger cut out of the sale. But still, I kinda agree with what your saying.

90snostalga

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 12:33:14 am »
A quote from Turf

"I still have my original day one Wii.  Works perfect.  BEAT THAT XBOX"

hahaha  ;)

90snostalga

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 12:34:17 am »
I'm not sure selling the gamepad separate will make a difference because at the end of the day, the wii u is still the cheapest next gen console.  And if you play a game like zombie u, you need the game pad anyways.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 12:55:48 am »
4.) Bring online functionality up to MS/Sony standards. 
Free online is a big selling point.
I think this is the biggest issue.  When you've got friends playing games online, you buy the same system so you can play together.  That means an entire group of friends usually goes for either PSN (more recently) or Xbox Live.  Nintendo isn't even in that contest, but now that they're on HD hardware they could be a bigger player if they added a comparable online system with friends lists.  Even better if they bring 3DS users along for the ride.  I hoped Club Nintendo or the Nintendo Network would be used for some of that, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

The one thing that would really sell me on a premium service here, and I think a lot of other gamers too, is if they threw in a pile of VC games each month.  To the article's point, Nintendo could very easily do a Netflix style offering where you get access to a big game library as long as you subscribe.  Maybe they rotate the collection, so if you really like Mario you can buy that title and always have it available, but otherwise you're still getting a decent pile of games to pick from.  It seems to be working well for PSN's Instant Game Collection, and Nintendo has a much larger catalog to offer.

The best advice I've heard for Nintendo is to sell the WiiU without the Gamepad. Nintendo states this is $100 dollars of the cost. So, here are the benefits:

WiiU $199

" 'nuff said" quoth Stan Lee.
Several good points, but I don't see this happening.  The most recent lesson comes from Kinect- if you don't bundle it with every console, nobody develops for it.  If Nintendo pulled the gamepad, or didn't include them in the first place, I seriously doubt many games would use it.  At the very least it wouldn't be the primary control option like it is now.  And without the gamepad, it's really just a Wii HD.

I do like the idea of a 3DS as an alternative controller or second screen, but I'm not sure it could completely replace the gamepad due to the low video resolution and different controls.  Still, individual 3DS controllers for each player would be great on some games.  I'm thinking local 8-player Mario Kart, racing on 3DS systems while watching highlights and a map on the TV.  Who could pass that up?

scott

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 09:59:56 am »
I like the idea of 3DS controls for the Wii U. It harkens back to the GameCube + GBA days.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 11:37:52 am »
If Nintendo would just let us run shit, we could put them on top of the world again!

90snostalga

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 11:45:33 am »
If Nintendo would just let us run shit, we could put them on top of the world again!

Turf, I was actually reading something about upcoming Wii U releases, and the comments.  There was actually LOTS of people saying they would get a Wii U for a game called "Bayonetta 2" and a RPG called "X".  Now, the X game looked pretty cool and I'm now looking forward to it but not sure about Bayonetta.  I'll have to play the first one first.

karyann

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 12:46:06 pm »
The gamepad is necessary to navigate through most applications (starting with mii plaza, the "main menu"), so it would be awful to sell the Wii U without any gamepad.

Also, I'm completely not buying the "no games" argument. There are plenty of great Wii U games already, and a lot more to come. Sure, Mario's another Mario (I'm tired of Mario, too), but the other games are filled with new content and ways to play. Nintendo Land has great diversity and lots of "party" use, Pikmin 3 has a LOT of improvements and different mechanics over the last Pikmin game (which was 2 generations ago, so it's far from being overused), Wonderful 101 is a completely new game, Rayman Legends has been developped especially for Wii U at first and uses the gamepad in a wonderful way, LEGO city undercover is a fun adventure for anyone of any age, and that's only to name 5. There are a lot of great games already, but a lot of people ditch them with the "too childish" excuse without ever taking a look past the graphics.

Sorry, I think that turned into somewhat of a rant :P But I'm tired of people always judging games on Nintendo consoles by their looks only, and never wanting to even see how gameplay is like. They're still putting in a lot of creativity in most of their games (once again, I know Mario has pretty much "stabilized" its state by now, but so has Call of Duty and the likes, which people never seem to get tired of. But I digress).

scott

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 12:58:11 pm »
That X game is one of the reasons I want a Wii U eventually. I'll buy it long before I get a system to just to ensure that I have it  (like I did w/ Luigi U).

90snostalga

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 02:54:52 pm »
That X game is one of the reasons I want a Wii U eventually. I'll buy it long before I get a system to just to ensure that I have it  (like I did w/ Luigi U).

I thought you already have a Wii U?

90snostalga

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 04:15:42 pm »
Nintendo's CEO and executives took a 20 to 30 percent pay cut for the next 5 months to help with the sales.  That's what I'm talking about.  Nintendo knows what they are doing.  I think 2014 will be the year for Nintendo  :)

scott

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 05:20:40 pm »

I thought you already have a Wii U?

Nope I was sold on the PS4 as my first next gen console. Not disappointed at all. I will get a Wii U eventually and plan on picking up thing I must have beforehand.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 10:49:13 pm »
there really isn't anything I can add to this topic but I try to voice my opinion

First off I just want to say Nintendo saying the Wii U in their commercial was "an upgrade" was a bad idea. I could go on about this, but I'm just going to leave this at they should have said it was Nintendo next/newest Console. and advertise it as the system that not only could you play your Mario's and Zelda's on but also you would be able to play your Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Batman Arkham and other huge 3rd party games  that they have on the system.

as for the stuff in the Article
1.Personally I think they should go more PSplus than Netflix

2.Dropping the Wii U is the absolute worst thing they can do right now, I can see it having a shorter life span maybe 4-5 years at minimum but it's just going to end up pissing off those who have already bought the Wii U. Also I'm calling bullsh*t on the "Fusion" console, a Coaxial connection doesn't make sense and to have full specs this early doesn't sit right with me.

3. Having a giant touch screen in the middle of the controller isn't crazy enough

Things I think Nintendo should do that aren't listed above
-new IP/bring in the "hardcore Crowd": everyone's said it, and I think that Having the Vastley superior version of Ninja Gaiden 3(before it went multiplat),  Bayonetta 2 and "X" is a good start, what else can they do? maybe see about an Eternal Darkness 2 or retry Geist, and bring in some new games that could become Staples in the Nintendo universe.

-maybe a Pro controller bundled in? another thing I fell that isn't great is the fact that people don't know that you can play a lot of games with just the regular Pro controller and some games can use both (I mainly played Wind Waker HD with the pro controller while having the tablet controller in front of me displaying maps and items)

-3DS Player: just release an attachment that would allow you to play your DS/3DS on the Big screen, with the hype that surrounded the Vita TV this would seem like a no Brainer to me

-finally allow the 3DS to also act as a Second tablet/replacement screen. I've said this from the beginning no need to go into details

EDIT:wel something I said is sort of might be happening???
http://operationrainfall.com/nintendo-ds-coming-to-virtual-console/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:02:39 pm by redblaze57 »

bobster

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 10:24:17 am »
Get Shigesato Itoi to make Mother 4 for it. Boom another million consoles sold.
Currently Playing: The Witcher