Author Topic: Big Thanks!  (Read 2696 times)

scott

Big Thanks!
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:35:53 pm »
It's no news that in the server outage/transfer/nightmare we lost everything from user accounts, collections, new items, item edits, along with forum posts and PMs from Nov 2nd through 20th. New user accounts from that period were lost, forcing folks to re-register. A lot of people lost a whole slew of work because of it, some of you lost entire collections, others only a few games. Some lost days, if not weeks, of data entry and edits that were made. This was a major blow to take after having, what seemed like, non-stop growth. But, we are now sitting pretty on our new server, we have fixes and safeguards in place to prevent anything this bad from happening again and we are back on our feet after a week of hell. Of course, all of this has already been said and we still feel pretty crappy about the whole debacle. We are no doubt still missing data, but we can't look back, rather we have to keep moving forward.

What is news-worthy, is in all that chaos and the bugs that cropped up from it, our users banded together to help us fix everything. Even if that meant redoing all of the work that they had just finished, and lost, a few days prior; or searching Google Cache for whatever lost forum threads they could find and reposting them. Who knew that our little project could weather the storm like this and survive? Personally, I was both impressed and surprised by they way everyone has pitched in. I figured Matt and myself would have to build the database back up on our own, but no. It seemed like, as soon as the site was stable, folks we lining up to help get things back in order. And, that rather than just having a user base, we have built a small community of like minded gamers who rely on us as much as we rely on them. When started out in the beginning of the year, VGCollect was just another project, meant to help both Matt and myself keep track of our video game collections. We've had a steady stream of growth over the passed 10 months, you all have built VGCollect into an amazing little community.

Thanks go out to everyone for all of your hard work and dedication over the last week. And from now on, we'll make sure to hold reset before we power down.

-Scott

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

Re: Big Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:04:20 am »
*warm fuzzy feelings*
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

matt

Re: Big Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:12 am »
<3 you all.