Author Topic: Free to play games? Steam edition  (Read 1930 times)

Veilor

Free to play games? Steam edition
« on: January 30, 2014, 05:55:17 am »
I'm just wondering what the stance is on this as I saw Warframe in the steam section. You don't really own those games, if it were that simple you got 1 game to the collection each time steam added a game to that section, and that's been happening weekly for some time now. I know this can push some buttons for Team Fortress 2 players aswell, that game was changed to F2P. I'm just wondering.

topspot123

Re: Free to play games? Steam edition
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:27:56 am »
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1953.0.html

I have the same question, and I still haven't resolved it for myself.  I want to get into HearthStone and SolForge so I've been thinking about this question again lately.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 08:28:40 am »
Uh...

I've added a bunch of F2P games to the site in the past? And don't think it's a problem listing any F2P games?

As long as you don't do something ridiculous like adding all your weapons or cosmetic stuff (because it would bloat your collection number), I'm OK with things.

Besides, we already have subscription-based games here (World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy whatever) and those are worse than F2P games in my eyes. Pay to keep playing a game after you've bought it? Pfffffft. :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:32:26 am by foxhack »

scott

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:58:57 am »
I've got a few free to play games in my collection. I guess you could say that the 3 PSN PS4 games I have are free to play, since I can only play them when I have a PS+ account active.

If we didn't allow free to play/ free download games in collections, folks that wanted them would campaign for them. But As far as I'm willing to go is the base game, microtransaction add-ons on the other hand don't belong.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:12:42 am »
A game is a game.

I will agree on digital items though. Its too much crap to drudge through.

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:27:25 am »
A game is a game.

And I already have a lot of issues with people adding DLC weapons / skins to the site...

Veilor

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:37:58 am »
A game is a game.

And I already have a lot of issues with people adding DLC weapons / skins to the site...

Well then you and all admins should talk and create a comprehensive FAQ/Rules post/section covering a lot. As it is now cetain DLC is not against any rules... to be honest I haven't seen any rules against anything so far. Only the style guide, but that's for how to write certain things when adding.

As for this topic, I like the answer and see the points of games being games, whether they're free or not

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 02:10:24 pm »
Well then you and all admins should talk and create a comprehensive FAQ/Rules post/section covering a lot. As it is now cetain DLC is not against any rules... to be honest I haven't seen any rules against anything so far. Only the style guide, but that's for how to write certain things when adding.

As for this topic, I like the answer and see the points of games being games, whether they're free or not
I could've sworn I'd made that rule a while back but now I can't find it.

There's this topic:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,738.0.html

I went through the reasons why not to add specific DLC there. I thought I'd added that to the rules, but I guess I never did. XD

You're absolutely right - the rules should be clear. This, I admit, is completely my fault.

Veilor

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 02:30:57 pm »
I could've sworn I'd made that rule a while back but now I can't find it.

There's this topic:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,738.0.html

I went through the reasons why not to add specific DLC there. I thought I'd added that to the rules, but I guess I never did. XD

You're absolutely right - the rules should be clear. This, I admit, is completely my fault.

I didn't know about any rules so I've added things you said were not cool, but nothing were exactly clear on that part. Can't expect people to search around the forums for your posts  :o.
 And uhm..secondly..what rules? I've only seen the style guide.  ???

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 06:35:33 pm »
The style guide is essentially the rules. ^^;

I really should get to overhauling all that stuff one day. :(

matt

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:41 pm »
I'm sensing some tension here....so let me defuse it with:

We do need to and will be updating the style guide. Those are the rules but we've had plenty of forum discussions and have failed to update the guide. Those rules and guidelines are something we form as a community so these discussion do help.

With love,
Matt