Author Topic: Tips for New/Newer Collector's  (Read 7710 times)

htimreimer

Tips for New/Newer Collector's
« on: February 06, 2014, 02:30:16 am »
with a new year come new users on the site and maybe new collectors, most of us have experience in VG collecting but for those don't,
what tips would you give them?

tip 1: don't touch early CD based consoles (pre PS2) , i know its tempting but there is more then a few moving parts and unless your ready to troubleshooted and repair , there will be risk factor also don't touch obscure console because the quality is usually not there

tip 2: learn how to repair and be ready for anything, knowing how to solder, use electrical tools  and how to clean electronics properly is very important also don't don't be afraid of looking on the net for new techniques or ask a more experienced collector
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:55:53 pm by htimreimer »

Re: Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:14:21 pm »
Probably the best advice I can give anyone who is just getting into collecting is to be patient. You will see a lot of games when you're on the hunt for them, but the vast majority of them (especially retro games right now) are overpriced. Looking frequently at thrift stores, flea markets, craigslist, garage sales and places like that will save you a ton of money in the long run. Even carefully combing game stores can pay off when you catch them slipping.

In addition to being patient, it is also good to be well informed about the games you are after and what they typically go for on Ebay. That way you have a point of comparison as to whether or not you are getting a good deal.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:59:39 pm »
cleaning your games and systems is major. also storing them correctly (PUT THE DISC BACK IN THE BOX AFTER USE!!!)

scott

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:00:50 pm »
(PUT THE DISC BACK IN THE BOX AFTER USE!!!)

In the CORRECT BOX. Nothing worse than opening up a string of games in order to find the disc you're looking for... *shakes fist at his sister*
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:01:45 pm »
(PUT THE DISC BACK IN THE BOX AFTER USE!!!)

In the CORRECT BOX. Nothing worse than opening up a string of games in order to find the disc you're looking for... *shakes fist at his sister*

oh god yes. and when it goes 8 games deep  AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:03:19 pm »
Once I borrowed a PS2 game from my sister, only to get home and find that Guitar Hero: Aerosmith was in the box for Kingdom Hearts.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:05:52 pm »
Once I borrowed a PS2 game from my sister, only to get home and find that Guitar Hero: Aerosmith was in the box for Kingdom Hearts.

lol

hate opening a box to find a game totally missing.
2 games in 1 box but which box?
i lost tekken tag 2 for 3 months to find it behind the TV stand

Re: Tips for New/Newer Collector's
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:03:45 pm »
best advice - if you want to collect anything retro with the name "Nintendo" on it - take out a second mortgage.

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:18:55 pm »
My only real advice.  Everyone has their own thing but do what you enjoy and what makes you happy.  Don't just collect because everyone else is doing it or because a game room looks cool.    I do believe that a true collector is a true gamer at heart because you are less likely to burn out on collecting if you are a gamer.  Additionally, it is very fun sometimes to hunt the wild to find games; however, do you.  If you truly are wanting to play some game very very badly that you cant find at a thrift store, I personally dont see nothing wrong with paying 75 for it or whatever if you have that kind of money.  You only have one life to live, do what you enjoy and dont worry about what everyone thinks.

Not even what I think, so feel free to let my post go in one ear and out the other lol
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:21:39 pm by 90snostalga »

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:24:22 pm »
Pick a system that you already enjoy and means something to you. Don't make a turbo grafx a purchase early on if you have never played one but just think it looks cool. This is a good way to blow a lot of money, get burnt out, and become resentful.

Buy the common classic games at first. "Mario World for SNES" "Sonic for Genesis" These defined the system for a reason and will keep the love for the system alive after you buy some stinkers or have trouble finding the game you want. Getting a solid collection early on helps majorly later on.

Stay away from buying "rare/expensive" games. If you buy stadium events for $5 at a flea market, that's cool. But don't start a change jar for Dinosaur Peak from when you start collecting the NES. When I see someone's "epic" Saturn collection that is 10 games, three of which are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, and Shining Force 3... I see a Saturn collection that will be up for sale in a year.

The above are my suggestions after I see people rush in and burn themselves out. In short, stay away from the glam.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:37:38 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 11:35:05 pm »
When I see someone's "epic" Saturn collection that is i games, three of which are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, and Shining Force 3... I see a Saturn collection that will be up for sale in a year.

Oh good, I only have 2 of these 3. So my collection is safe from being on sale. :)

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:40:55 pm »
When I see someone's "epic" Saturn collection that is i games, three of which are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, and Shining Force 3... I see a Saturn collection that will be up for sale in a year.

Oh good, I only have 2 of these 3. So my collection is safe from being on sale. :)

Well, you did sell a lot of yours, didn't you? jk. This would be for newbies. For some reason I did not type a collection of 10 games. Instead I typed a collection of i games. If someone has a collection where a majority are "holy grails", they often times sell soon after from being burnt out and spending too much.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:07 pm »

In short, stay away from the glam.

Second...

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:56 pm »

Well, you did sell a lot of yours, didn't you? jk. This would be for newbies. For some reason I did not type a collection of 10 games. Instead I typed a collection of i games. If someone has a collection where a majority are "holy grails", they often times sell soon after from being burnt out and spending too much.

you keep mentioning "i games".  What is that?

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 11:44:38 pm »

In short, stay away from the glam.

If you go for the glam, you will get canned...yea I know that's lame but you get the point.