Author Topic: See who rejected edits (or approved)  (Read 1390 times)

Veilor

See who rejected edits (or approved)
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »
It would actually be a good idea to see who of the mods rejected edits, as of now I have no clue who to contact about why I did any edit. That or add some sort of "reason for edit" box.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: See who rejected edits (or approved)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:29:52 pm »
That would be nice.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:04:31 pm »
Not a bad idea...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:06:21 pm »
It would actually be a good idea to see who of the mods rejected edits, as of now I have no clue who to contact about why I did any edit. That or add some sort of "reason for edit" box.
I highly, highly agree with both of these ideas. I'll put it on the list.

haloofthesun

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:44:28 pm »
That or add some sort of "reason for edit" box.

This especially. Sometimes I upload better quality images, or ones that aren't just photos of the box rather than a scan of a cover, or ones that don't contain a white box around them, etc. and they get rejected anyway. I think whoever rejects them doesn't realize the image is better and just sees there's already an image so my edit is "useless" - an honest mistake, of course, and one that doesn't happen often, but being able to include a reason for the edit would help a lot.

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »
That or add some sort of "reason for edit" box.

This especially. Sometimes I upload better quality images, or ones that aren't just photos of the box rather than a scan of a cover, or ones that don't contain a white box around them, etc. and they get rejected anyway. I think whoever rejects them doesn't realize the image is better and just sees there's already an image so my edit is "useless" - an honest mistake, of course, and one that doesn't happen often, but being able to include a reason for the edit would help a lot.
Actually... sometimes the images people submit get shrunken down too much, and the quality is pretty much lost. Or someone can scan their own item, which has lots of wear and tear, so when the site processes it, it looks bad in comparison to the one on file.

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:05:58 pm »
In the admin panel, anytime a new image is submitted, we can see the old image right next to the new one. Some of the most common reasons that I personally reject image edits are:

A "RP" ESRB Rating on the image.
Blank barcodes (Just a white box where it should be.)
Wrong image location (Submitting a cartridge scan for a box image, etc.)

While I can't comment on your particular edits, since I haven't denied any in a while, I can say that it would have to be human error, or such a small change, that it got missed.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 03:11:09 am »
I enter in the description the reason why i changed the picture. Usually its because of watermarks.

I dont know how big the pictures are in the admin panel. But some things are hard to see. Like yesterday i entered scans for Touch my Katamari for the PSV but i couldnt see what the original picture was about. So i did a google image search and found that the scan used was a provisional box. And mine had black around the PEGI while this one was white.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 12:33:22 pm »
I enter in the description the reason why i changed the picture. Usually its because of watermarks.

I dont know how big the pictures are in the admin panel. But some things are hard to see. Like yesterday i entered scans for Touch my Katamari for the PSV but i couldnt see what the original picture was about. So i did a google image search and found that the scan used was a provisional box. And mine had black around the PEGI while this one was white.
The pictures in the admin panel are the same size as the ones that show up in the page after approval.

Did that edit get approved, by the way? I didn't see it so someone must've gotten to it before me.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 01:42:12 pm »
Yes, i thought i was you as it gotten approved almost right away. But thx for the help.

matt

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 12:44:46 pm »
I'll chime in on this one...

I've purposely left this off as to never create an opportunity to single out an admin. Not that someone would be upset but more due to the fact that we all make and share the responsibility of these decisions. I actually extend that responsibility to all the users of the site and encourage friendly debate and discussion on edits.

I think we can probably do a better job with our "Reason" box so we can look into better options there.

For now - if you have an edit that was rejected feel free to create a new thread in Video Game Database Discussion and we can all discuss it. You'll get a response from a few of us and a few users and we can come to a conclusion together.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 12:51:08 pm »
Yeah.

I think that better reasons & explanations - so the submitter learns from their mistakes (even if done anonymously); are the most important & main things here...

soera

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 01:22:26 pm »
Explanations are good.

Ive only had one edit rejected then the admin realized it was me and recognized his mistake and fixed it. :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 02:00:05 pm »
Explanations are good.

Ive only had one edit rejected then the admin realized it was me and recognized his mistake and fixed it. :P

Could/Did they apologize fast enough? :o

soera

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 03:59:54 pm »
It was accepted.  8)