Author Topic: Master System, Who Collects For It?  (Read 4571 times)

HarvestDude

Re: Master System, Who Collects For It?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »
I do collect Master System too.

This console was a huge hit in Brazil in the late 80´s and i was a kid totally influenced by it back then. I was 12 when i got mine in the ´89 xmas with 2 games. The SMS was a very loved console here.

Unfortunally i was a lousy kid when it came to take care of my game and console boxes and manuals. My first Master System lost its box and manuals. Also, the brazilian parts of the video game had terrible quality. Soon all the cables started to snap internally, making the controllers malfunction, the ac/dc power supply to fail and the RF cable not to work any more. I used to put duct tape on my SMS so it could fix a proper working position of the cables for me to play (it has so much duct tape on it that resembled a mummy... half of the console was covered by it). A few years later (in 2000 if i´m not mistaken) i sold the console and what was left of its cartridges.

I regretted that a few years later since that SMS was a xmas present from my parents. In 2006, i found a complete one while shopping downtown with a friend. It came exactly as my first one: first model, box, manual, every piece of hardware working perfectly. I didn´t have any doubts and bought it (it costed me 14 dollars!) since it was a bargain. Then i started to track down the games again and i've never abandon it ever since.

Today i have 26 SMS games. Some of them are NA releases, some are BR and some are EUR. Most of them are complete. I wish i could change all my games for NA releases since their boxes and manuals are made of plastic and better paper. Brazilian boxes were made out of cardboard and they got easily damaged thru the years. Just some later games got proper plastic boxes, which started to happen only on 1993 here.

The SMS is one of my favorite and nostalgic video games. It was my second game console (my first was an Atari 2600) but i got a lot more emotionally attached to it. It was the dawn of a new generation for me (the NES wasn´t that strong here and the SMS had a massive marketing campaign) and it made me play way more ever since, specially because i moved to another city and i´ve spent a lot of time playing it after we moved.

Backstory aside, here are some of my favorite SMS games:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa
Ghostbusters (by far the best 8-bit version of this game i've ever played)
Jogos de Verão (it translates to "Summer Games" - a localized translation of California Games)
Mônica no Castelo do Dragão (it translates to "Monica in the Dragon´s Castle" - a modified brazilian release of Wonder Boy in Monster Land)
Phantasy Star (it was completely translated to brazilian portuguese when released here)
OutRun
Zillion

Let me just add that 2 games were specially important in making the SMS popular here: Gangster Town and Jogos de Verão. Almost every SMS owner had this games back then.

HarvestDude™

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 06:23:52 pm »
Not a huge collection and overall the sound is pretty bad for most games. Nes is superior in that way.

Worthwile favourite games wich I own and enjoyed quite allot

master of darkness castlevania clone
Sagaia
fantasy zone
kenseiden
golden axe warrior zelda clone For sale not in my condition and therefore not part of the collection unfortunately since basicly it was a free game .
Your Stylish Sword Master!

soera

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 06:55:32 pm »
I have a complete NA SMS set and a complete NFS set.

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 02:22:04 am »
I started collecting for the Master System about two years ago and had upwards of 40 games for it, now I've sold most of them off and only own 14 games that I'd like to keep. I guess it just wasn't for me. I much prefer the Mega Drive

spac316

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 03:05:08 pm »
I collect for it as well. I never had one as a kid either. I have played a few of it's games back in the day on a friend of mine's, via the Power convertor for the Genesis, including the original Phantasy Star.
Too bad my system is not working very well anymore...so I can't play my games.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:07:20 pm by spac316 »

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 03:09:12 pm »
I wanna say growing up I always thought the Master System was an import console, like I didn't understand that it was actually released in NA until I was already an adult.

tripredacus

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 06:41:49 pm »
I used to collect for SMS a few years ago before all the prices tripled. I tend to be quite thrifty when it comes to purchases.