Author Topic: Game Boy Games in Cassette Cases?  (Read 30113 times)

scott

Game Boy Games in Cassette Cases?
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:52:24 am »
So I was doing research on a few things for the long running Caravan Heart project, when I stumbled on this:

That's such a cool idea!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

Re: Game Boy Games in Cassette Cases?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:58:12 am »
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:02:39 am by mastafafik »

karyann

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:02:07 am »
It looks great indeed, I've been looking for cassette cases ever since I've seen this! They're hard to find nowadays, though :(  I saw that post on Reddit a while back and the guy posted a link to the template he used to print the covers, if anyone's interested I can probably hunt it down.

scott

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:50 am »
Amazon sells empty replacement cassette cases. I've been looking into it, haha.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:44:52 am »
Oh my god. That's just such an amazing idea. I'll file that under "things to do once I have more space" because that many cassette cases would be insane in my current situation.

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:58 am »
I'm totally doing this. I currently have all my GB and GBC games stacked on top of each other and it's a pain in the ass looking though them all, and I'm pushing something like  90-100 carts between the two.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:36 am »
I'm totally doing this. I currently have all my GB and GBC games stacked on top of each other and it's a pain in the ass looking though them all, and I'm pushing something like  90-100 carts between the two.
Same here, except I only have about 50. This could work for Game Gear as well, and Game Gear cartridges are really tricky to organize so this would be especially perfect for that.

scott

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:53:34 am »
Apparently the guy said the official plastic Game Boy cart case will fit inside as well. The biggest issue will be cutting out the spindles on the inside of the case, unless I find some without.

topspot123

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:04:24 am »
Very, very pretty.  I've stopped doing things like this just because of space concerns.  I need my stuff to take up less space, not more!  I used to have all my demo discs in slimline DVD cases, but I had to discontinue that as well.  But if you can swing this, I like it.

EDIT:  If you I was going to go through the trouble, I would make sure the instruction book fits.  Doesn't seem like it will.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:10:40 am by topspot123 »

scott

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:48 am »
From what I read, it won't. But most of my games are cart only, so that's not a big deal for me.

soera

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 10:25:15 am »
Thats a pretty nice looking case and a great idea. I have a few GB/GBC games that are just cart only and this would definitely make them more appealing.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 07:29:53 pm »
The biggest issue will be cutting out the spindles on the inside of the case, unless I find some without.
This is why I say every person who collects games should have a Dremel in their toolbox. cuts like a hot knife through butter.

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 08:02:22 pm »
If you're looking for a relatively cheap source for these cases, go to Goodwill and dig through the book section. Look for old audio books that nobody will miss, like self-help or new age ones.

topspot123

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:38 pm »
If you're looking for a relatively cheap source for these cases, go to Goodwill and dig through the book section. Look for old audio books that nobody will miss, like self-help or new age ones.

Most used cases are scratched up so badly that you wouldn't get this pristine appearance.  It could be a lot cheaper though.

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 11:00:51 pm »

Most used cases are scratched up so badly that you wouldn't get this pristine appearance.  It could be a lot cheaper though.
You just have to know where to look.

I've seen some which were inside another plastic box - or even wooden boxes. The tape cases inside were mint.