Author Topic: DSiware categorization?  (Read 1777 times)

karyann

DSiware categorization?
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:44 am »
I'm wondering how to categorize DSiware games. They were originally released on the DSi e-shop, which kinda turned into the current 3DS e-shop. All DSiware titles are downloadable from the 3DS e-shop. Should there be a DSiware category, or do I put it under 3DS e-shop?

topspot123

Re: DSiware categorization?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:30:47 am »
I'm wondering how to categorize DSiware games. They were originally released on the DSi e-shop, which kinda turned into the current 3DS e-shop. All DSiware titles are downloadable from the 3DS e-shop. Should there be a DSiware category, or do I put it under 3DS e-shop?

Not quite all.  Some titles didn't make the jump.  Flipnote studio for one, but there are others.

karyann

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:07 am »
Oh, I see. Then I guess there should be a separate category, but let's leave it to the admins to decide.

And while we're talking about e-shop problems, since everything seems to have a category now ("Wii U e-shop", "3DS e-shop", and possibly DSi e-shop), would everything from the general "Nintendo e-shop" category have to be recategorized in the proper place?

scott

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:12 am »
We have DSiWare for [NA], [EU] and [JP] in the database already. So anything that was released as "DSiWare" should be listed in there. :)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

karyann

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:08 pm »
We have DSiWare for [NA], [EU] and [JP] in the database already. So anything that was released as "DSiWare" should be listed in there. :)

Oh damn, I totally didn't see it even though I looked for it :o I'm sorry about that!

And about the "Nintendo e-shop" category, since everything in there is actually either 3DS e-shop or DSiware games, should we edit them to place them in the right category? If so, I can submit the changes - there's only 4 pages and I have a lot of courses where I'm trying to get some distraction :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:09:29 pm by karyann »

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:25:41 pm »
I've really grown to dislike the Nintendo eShop listings. They make it so confusing on categorizing everything...

I would say, yes to moving things to their appropriate listings. Then, like the old Swag categories, we'll delete the old Nintendo eShop listing.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

karyann

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »
I've really grown to dislike the Nintendo eShop listings. They make it so confusing on categorizing everything...

I would say, yes to moving things to their appropriate listings. Then, like the old Swag categories, we'll delete the old Nintendo eShop listing.

I totally agree, it's such a mess... Nintendo had a hard time setting everything up. Or at least, making it clear :P

I'll get to this later, then. Thanks!

karyann

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »
I think I'm done with everything, but I'm wondering... AR Games, Face Raiders and Streetpass are applications that come with the 3DS, and they're not downloadable from the e-shop (I just checked to make sure, and searches only bring up videos). I'm guessing they're not deletable either, so everybody with a 3DS pretty much has to have them. Do they really serve a purpose in the database? I understand if someone really wants them anyway, but I'm curious.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:56:37 pm »
Better leave 'em up there.

'Cause you know if someone doesn't find them, they'll add them. ::)

karyann

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:17:17 am »
Haha, I figured as much. Well then, once changes are accepted, my job on the "Nintendo eshop" category will be complete! It'll be empty and ready for deletion :)

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 06:38:59 pm »

I agree. The virtual Nintendo categories are really confusing. It becomes obvious when you start looking at the mis-listings.

On the original Wii there was a clear distinction on the shop when you were buying a WiiWare (modern game) or a Virtual Console (old game) because of the way the two categories were partitioned on the menus. On the 3DS and Wii U there's less of a distinction because its all in the same marketplace unlike the Wii. I think because of this it might be causing some confusion to people when creating new listings or looking to add a game to their collection; they might be looking in the wrong place for their game. As for DSware I can't really speak to that point because I don't own a DSi.

lol. You almost have to merge them all into one "Download" category. Speaking of which, should the downloadable Nintendo stuff be set up the same way as the PlayStation Network category is?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:06:21 pm by badATchaos »