Author Topic: Fuzzy video on SNES  (Read 8714 times)

scott

Fuzzy video on SNES
« on: February 19, 2014, 11:13:16 am »
Hey guys, I was playing Yoshi's Island the other day and I noticed that the picture was kinda fuzzy. I'm currently hooked up to it via the console's original RF adapter. I think it's something strange going on because when  I load up my Genesis on the same type of connection, it's crystal clear.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

Re: Fuzzy video on SNES
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:49:57 am »
Hey guys, I was playing Yoshi's Island the other day and I noticed that the picture was kinda fuzzy. I'm currently hooked up to it via the console's original RF adapter. I think it's something strange going on because when  I load up my Genesis on the same type of connection, it's crystal clear.
must resist "touch fuzzy get dizzy" joke...

Have you tried a different RF adapter? Maybe it's just the one you're using that's not working.

scott

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 03:58:41 pm »
I tried it with my NES's RF adapter, both daisy chained and direct connected. On 2 different TVs and no difference. I noticed the same thing on my NES before the connector went bad, and on that I hooked it up via RCA cables to see if that changed anything too and no dice.

I don't have any other RFs laying around to check it again.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:09:53 pm »
Maybe try to clean the game cartridge slot   :-\

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »
I had a similar problem a few months back (hooked up composite) it had a hard time actually reconizing the cartridge. and coincidentally with Yoshi's Island I noticed a bunch of lines in the menu screens and when I paused the game the foreground would remain, but everything else was blocked by weird tiles (most famous one for mine was a bunch of Flashing B's) making it unplayable. I also notice the background in Donkey kong country was a jumble mess. the guy at Play N' Trade said the board was going and we took a parts console and swapped those around and "BOOM!" works Perfectly now. moral of the story if you think something is wrong with your SNES try playing Yoshi's Island.

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:59:34 am »
IF it's doing it with RF and RCA cables then I'd say your problem isn't the cables.  It's unlikely that it could be the cartridge slot or electro-static interference, but you never know.  Try wiggling the connection at the system if it clears up then loose connection if it doesn't then it could be that your board is going :-\

scott

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:59:07 am »
Oh man, it'd be super sad if it's the board... I'm the original owner of this SNES, we've been pals forever! ha

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:48:50 pm »
@Scott have you tried connecting a Composite RCA cable? You can use the cable from a N64 or GameCube. Also if its a Genesis Model 1 you should be able to test it with the same AutoRF switch.

I had a similar problem a few months back (hooked up composite) it had a hard time actually reconizing the cartridge. and coincidentally with Yoshi's Island I noticed a bunch of lines in the menu screens and when I paused the game the foreground would remain, but everything else was blocked by weird tiles (most famous one for mine was a bunch of Flashing B's) making it unplayable. I also notice the background in Donkey kong country was a jumble mess. the guy at Play N' Trade said the board was going and we took a parts console and swapped those around and "BOOM!" works Perfectly now. moral of the story if you think something is wrong with your SNES try playing Yoshi's Island.

This sounds like a bad/dirty cartridge slot or failing VRAM. Did you attempt to clean the slot first? if so what did you use?

scott

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 02:16:07 pm »
I didn't try the N64 cable, I'll test that tonight.

My Genesis is a model 2 though, so I couldn't swap them to see if it worked on there. I also didn't clean my cart slot, I've never done so though, so that could be it... I'm not sure how to go about that though.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 02:22:41 pm »
I didn't try the N64 cable, I'll test that tonight.

My Genesis is a model 2 though, so I couldn't swap them to see if it worked on there. I also didn't clean my cart slot, I've never done so though, so that could be it... I'm not sure how to go about that though.

You can use rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner(DeoxIT) with a old CreditCard wrapped in a piece of cloth(old tshirt).

Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWg2k736KZ4

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29879646

DeoxIT is good for cleaning cartridge contacts as well.

http://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-Cartridge-Solution-Sega-Master-System/dp/B000VPUR3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392924463&sr=8-1&keywords=DeoxIT+Game+Cartridge+Solution
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:30:50 pm by pceslayer »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 06:57:17 pm »
@Scott have you tried connecting a Composite RCA cable? You can use the cable from a N64 or GameCube. Also if its a Genesis Model 1 you should be able to test it with the same AutoRF switch.

This sounds like a bad/dirty cartridge slot or failing VRAM. Did you attempt to clean the slot first? if so what did you use?

trust me it wasn't the slot. since I mostly use 91% rubbing Achohol, there were times I had to get it drunk to see some action.

htimreimer

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 09:39:09 pm »
if there something wrong with the  board or something on board, your only hope is to use the oven trick (a videocard is used for an example) http://www.overclockers.com/the-oven-trick-repairing-your-broken-video-card-with-an-oven/

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 08:12:01 pm »

trust me it wasn't the slot. since I mostly use 91% rubbing Achohol, there were times I had to get it drunk to see some action.

ha! I would love to take a look at that board if you could somehow manage to get it back.

scott

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 08:33:23 pm »
Hmm maybe the RF connector was dirty on my SNES, because after playing with it a bit it is pretty much all cleared up. Of course, the RCA port didn't want to produce a picture so that's a whole other matter. It looks pretty dust covered though.

htimreimer

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 09:11:12 pm »
Hmm maybe the RF connector was dirty on my SNES, because after playing with it a bit it is pretty much all cleared up. Of course, the RCA port didn't want to produce a picture so that's a whole other matter. It looks pretty dust covered though.
when was the last time you cleaned out you SNES?, dust can cause static electricity that can cause you problem also  dirt and food can  cause problems as well