Author Topic: Integration Of Steam Or Other Digital Libraries  (Read 782 times)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

Integration Of Steam Or Other Digital Libraries
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:40:39 am »
I don't know whether this has been suggested and I'm too lazy to browse through 28+ pages of threads...  Maybe I'm reviving a previous article, but I was wondering if we could place our Steam, Origin, Impulse, or any other digital game library username and that would allow us to show the games collection that we have for the respective program?

I apologize if this may have been suggested before...  I just really didn't feel like looking through 28+ pages of threads.

By the way, I am a big fan of the site!  I am trying to get the fundage to be a supporter, just need more time.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

foxhack

Re: Integration Of Steam Or Other Digital Libraries
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:54:54 pm »
It's been mentioned before, just not very recently, don't worry.

It's technically possible, at least for Steam, especially now that you can grab the information via Steam's OpenID implementation. But that would involve a lot of coding, and matt already has quite a bit on his plate... Not to mention Steam is very, very bad about actually showing what you own (For example, I have the SSFIV AE costume pack with everything, but it doesn't show up in my profile, and even the store thinks I don't own it!) And they tend to change game IDs around at times.

As far as I know, there's no publicly-accessible way of viewing a person's game collection on Origin, other than through the client's built-in friends list - I didn't know that until just now. Uplay does have a public game list but their site is still clunky as hell.

Other sites like Impulse (Gamestop), GreenManGaming, Amazon, etc. are just game stores and they have no way of showing people what certain accounts already own. So there's no point in having a way to add their games automatically.

Possible? Yes. Practical... not very. :(

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:03:41 am »
Ah...  I see.

Well, if the admins ever plan on creating a garbage bin for all the idle topics and/or stupid posts in VGCollect, please feel free to have this topic be the first to be used for the feature.

Thank you for the informative response, foxhack!

Please check out the games I have for sale.

Veilor

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 01:04:15 am »

It's technically possible, at least for Steam, especially now that you can grab the information via Steam's OpenID implementation. But that would involve a lot of coding, and matt already has quite a bit on his plate... Not to mention Steam is very, very bad about actually showing what you own (For example, I have the SSFIV AE costume pack with everything, but it doesn't show up in my profile, and even the store thinks I don't own it!) And they tend to change game IDs around at times.

If you yourself want to see what you have just get the Enchaned Steam addon for firefox. It's awesome. Sorry for going offtopic!

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:08:22 pm »

If you yourself want to see what you have just get the Enchaned Steam addon for firefox. It's awesome. Sorry for going offtopic!
I already have this. And it was the plugin's creator that told me about this issue! I sent him a message about the costume pack, and he confirmed that since Steam's not reporting that I own the item correctly, neither the site, the client, or the plugin can detect it.

The only way I can see if I own it is if I try to buy it, just before I pay. o_O